Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mustapha Carayol

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Which begs the question why would we have recruited a completely unfit player on a short-term loan?

I am not sure but we might not have been paying much of his wages

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Which begs the question why would we have recruited a completely unfit player on a short-term loan?

I think it was because it suited all parties. Boro get him fitter, Carayol gets game time and we get a squad player on loan and cheap to boost a squad lacking attacking intent.

I've said this a lot, but the players we loaned in the 2nd half of last season like Ledesma, Al Habsi, Bennett, Halford, Carayol and Best (shudder) were the definition of bit part squad filler and we've shown little of no interest in bringing any of them back. Carayol may be the exception because he has undoubted talent, but the rest were making up the numbers enough to help us limp to safety.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He wasn't great on loan last season - but was that due to lack of fitness, lack of confidence following an injury, or was he just not very good? General consensus (and subsequent performances at Boro) suggest there is a good player in there somewhere. Boro apparently don't want him.

Very good case for a six month loan, with a view to buy in January if he comes good, or send back to Boro if he doesn't. Better than taking a punt and landing ourselves with him for two or three years if he flops.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This one worries me.
Deeply worries me.

He was on loan here, but didn't pull up any trees.

He then resigns for Middlesbrough just 3 months ago.

And now under the same manager they want to ship him out.

hmmm...

What do Middlesbrough now know that we don't ? ???

This one should be filed under AVOID.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
This one worries me.
Deeply worries me.

He was on loan here, but didn't pull up any trees.

He then resigns for Middlesbrough just 3 months ago.

And now under the same manager they want to ship him out.

hmmm...

What do Middlesbrough now know that we don't ? ???

This one should be filed under AVOID.

I imagine that the reason they gave him a new contract was merely because it would mean a fee would have to be paid for him

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's steer clear of loans as far as possible, especially avoiding failed previous loanees.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very good case for a six month loan, with a view to buy in January if he comes good, or send back to Boro if he doesn't.
If he came good, and we were up with Boro, challenging for promotion, do you think they'd still sell him to us?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Interested to see his uber complimentary tweet about Greer & Dunk on Friday. He's been told he is surplus to requirements at Boro. Just have a sneaky feeling Hughton may reconsider if a loan option is available as suggested. Didn't look great at the end of last season, one mazey dribble aside. Here's a link to a well balanced view from the North East: http://bit.ly/1f9W1w3
He can't be too much surplus to requirements as he has only just signed a new 3 year deal with them about 3 months ago.
Saying that they probably did it so they wouldn't lose him on a free

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In his final interview he said he was going back to Middlesbro and probably sign a new contract. When asked so no chance of returning he said anything is possible in football. Slightly OT he did say his best mate is CH son.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If he came good, and we were up with Boro, challenging for promotion, do you think they'd still sell him to us?

Might put the price up, but if were up there, pushing for automatic with him in the team, that might be the time to make a splash and go for it. Alternatively, we could just say thanks Borough - for six months he's helped us stay at the top, now have him back. We'll try and build on the momentum.

Win win.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In his final interview he said he was going back to Middlesbro and probably sign a new contract. When asked so no chance of returning he said anything is possible in football. Slightly OT he did say his best mate is CH son.

He is friendly with Cian Hughton because they both played at Lincoln City together. I wouldn't say they were best friends though

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Might put the price up, but if were up there, pushing for automatic with him in the team, that might be the time to make a splash and go for it.
If we were in any way competing with Boro for promotion, they'd say no, and they'd sell him to someone else (which shouldn't be difficult if he was playing well).
Alternatively, we could just say thanks Borough - for six months he's helped us stay at the top, now have him back. We'll try and build on the momentum.

Win win.
:lol: It would be a win if we were top after 6 months, but that's dreamland.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He's surplus to requirements at Boro and we are above Boro in the table anyway, so no.

Incidentally, tongue firmly in cheek, so don't make me log back in to type Whoosh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here