Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music Your Parents Listened To That's Actually Good

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mine tended to listen to LPs of musicals, hence My Fair Lady, West Side Story, South Pacific etc. All of which I like. Family Favourites, like others on here, brings back fabulous childhood memories. My father was in the army and loved his stirring music so things like the Dambusters and 633 Squadron got regular airings too. Bert Kaempfert as well.

This song though always brings a tear to my eye when I hear it, as it brings childhood memories flooding back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_6Dia1Rjo

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My mum was never into music but my step dad incessantly played his collection of jazz vinyl - Lester Young, Jack Teagarden, Satchmo etc - nothing for me there.
My youngest got into Wet Wet Wet in the day and I explained that A Little help from my friends was a Pepper track and produced the Album for him to get into - his life was transformed. He is pretty much into all things 60s and the mod culture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent thread. My parents were quite active in the Brighton music scene in the 60s and had me in ‘68. They saw all the bands including the Stones, Hendrix, Floyd, The Who (The High Numbers) back then. Their interest continued well after my birth and into my teens. Consequently music was a big part of my home life and as mentioned earlier I remember my father coming home with vinyl on pay day. I also remember my parents being members of record clubs and cassette clubs. Music was everywhere. I always liked something they were playing and used to play their stuff myself from time to time.

I was buying my own records and cassettes from the age of 9, TOTP compilations, Saturday Night Fever and ELO come to mind. I then got into punk and post punk, buying 7”s by Skids, Cockney Rejects, PIL, Spizz Oil, and Attrix/Vaultage 78, 79 etc. Then I started getting into rock and metal and this is when my interest really took off; I was buying magazines, vinyl and going to gigs by now. . This was also when I really started delving into my parent’s collection as well.....and so much of it was/is good. My love of The Stones, Queen and Hendrix comes from them. I liked Floyd to a lesser extent. I never really got The Who...I was a rocker after all 😊 Beach Boys came later. The Beatles were not for me bar the odd album. When I’d graduated and paid off all my student debts I took my mother and father to see The Stones as a thank you. I’ve also taken my father to see Brian Wilson, Ray Davies and The Who.

So, in short, there was lots. And music and gigs is where I get most enjoyment from and I engage and indulge more than ever now. I’ll always be grateful for my parents passing this onto me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nothing my parents listened to I liked, probably the reason I got into punk aged 13 or 14.
They always had the radio on during the day in our house, Radio Brighton and nothing else, I can't actually remember liking music that much before I was 13.
I went to my mums house just before Christmas and as usual the radio was playing in here kitchen, I'm sure it was Radio 2, I couldn't believe my ears because the DJ on this particular show was playing punk :)
I didn't remind her that she used to tell me to turn this " rubbish " off :)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As with Icy above, mostly musicals, Sound of Music, South Pacific, Gigi, things like Surrey with a fringe on top and Oh what a beautiful morning plus a box of odd 78s The musical Sting was about the only thing I liked although many tunes come back to haunt me Younger than Springtime are you...........er not anymore sunshine

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing my parents listened to I liked, probably the reason I got into punk aged 13 or 14.
They always had the radio on during the day in our house, Radio Brighton and nothing else, I can't actually remember liking music that much before I was 13.
I went to my mums house just before Christmas and as usual the radio was playing in here kitchen, I'm sure it was Radio 2, I couldn't believe my ears because the DJ on this particular show was playing punk :)
I didn't remind her that she used to tell me to turn this " rubbish " off :)

Were you living in Newhaven as a child?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You will be delighted to learn that I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread.

Dad liked George Formby and Al Jolsen
Mum liked Max Bygraves and Val Doonican

Mind you, the milkman was into Screemin Jay Hawkins, The Tornados, The Troggs, The Four Tops, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown,and in later life he became a fan of Soft Machine, Van der Graaf Generator, Hatfield and the North, Bowie, Roxy Music, Beefhart and Zappa.

Edit: My son is a musician, and I like to think I contributed to his musical education. Trouble was, in the late 90s, when I drove us to watch the Albion at home and a great deal away when he was age 12 to 15, I was into European trance (Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyk, etc etc stylee) and I had that blasting out of the car 24/7. We have been to a few gigs together, Flaming Lips (albeit he introduced them to me) and the Comsat Angels (reunion in Sheffield - obvs I introduced him to them) but we don't really see musical eye to eye. He has bought me CDs (Interpol - very good; Tranquility Base, not bad) but his own taste began with the likes of Radiohead (brilliant - his mum's influence) Pete Doherty (er...) and Ash (sorry, no), and is now rather singer songwritery, very musicianshippy, and a bit....staid. Meanwhile my own penchant for 80s jangly guitar (from The Smiths to Burning Skies of Elysium), Darkwave (VNV, VAC etc), and anything with a big synth and big gay vocal (Mesh, De/Vision, Angels and Agony, and my new discoveries Solitary Experiments etc,) are all 'dad shite' as far as he's concerned. :lolol:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You will be delighted to learn that I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread.

Dad liked George Formby and Al Jolsen
Mum liked Max Bygraves and Val Doonican

Mind you, the milkman was into Screemin Jay Hawkins, The Tornados, The Troggs, The Four Tops, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown,and in later life he became a fan of Soft Machine, Van der Graaf Generator, Hatfield and the North, Bowie, Roxy Music, Beefhart and Zappa.

With Granada TV at the forefront of new musical genres

Didn't see it at the time but I wonder what my parents would have made of SJH in 1956 :lolol:

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Country all the way in my house. My dad loved Glen Campbell who I though was awful at the time, now one of my favourites. My own kids like him too!

Also remember being fascinated by my parents albums, the Queen gatefold sleeve for the Jazz album particularly ‘intriguing’ - lots of naked ladies on bicycles if I recall?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With Granada TV at the forefront of new musical genres

Didn't see it at the time but I wonder what my parents would have made of SJH in 1956 :lolol:

I have now updated my post to include a look in the other direction towards my son's perspective (he's 33). I think he may quite like SJH, come to think of it :lolol:

Edit: I think that video is a teensy bit racist!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Different times, but what a performance !

OK I'll bite.....but promise this will be my last post on this thread.....I was going to post Arthur Brown doing Fire, but then I found this....his version of the Screaming Jay Hawkins.

I saw him at the South Bank a couple of years after this vid, when he was 69. Amazing. All the best and tara for now :thumbsup::bigwave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjw_ZLF8lhg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My parents had many, many great attributes. Their taste in music was not one of them.

My Dad seemed to listen largely to novelty records of the 70's and 80's and my Mam liked Richard Clayderman.

The odd bit of Roy Orbison and sometimes The Carpenters would occasionally breach an endless sea of easy listening syrup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here