music question for oldies

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like Fox On The Run. That is all.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
OLDIES? From the title of this thread I thought you were going to ask me to recite the word's of Larry Williams' greatest hit from memory. Which, tragically, I can.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That was quality, when I were a lad

[yt]cHuJAC_XbhQ[/yt]

Ah, a kindred spirit. I was thinking of I got a girl called Boni Maronie, she's as skinny as a stick of macaroni... you ought to see her rock 'n' rolling with her blue jeans on, she's not very fat, just skin and bone... ets etc.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
It was Les Gray from Mud wot sang it. Met them once coming out of Tooting Music studio's, a very long time ago.

RIP Les Gray.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After leaving Mud the lead guitarist played in the resident band/group at the Preston Cross Hotel Bookham near Leatherhead in Surrey which is understandable because I think either him or Les Gray came from Langley Val in Epsom.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
According to the british Book of Hit Singles, it was a hit in 1974, first entering the charts on 19th january, 4 weeks at no.1 and 11 weeks in total in the charts.

But I didn't need to look it up to know it was Mud, although at the time I was more in to Genesis and Little Feat.

But I seem to remember that Les Gray did a pretty good Elvis impersonation..... and they all came from Carshalton of all places.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
... and they all came from Carshalton of all places.
According to Wikipedia
Les Gray, Rob Davis (lead guitar) Dave Mount (drums) did but Ray Stiles (Bass guitar) came from Guildford or at least that is where they were born. A friend in a pub in Epsom told me that Les Gray and Rob Davis both lived on Epsom Downs in Langley Vale perhaps they bought a place there when they became well known.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
According to the British Book of Hit Singles, it gives them all as "born (date), Carshalton." I would imagine local knowledge could be more reliable. I only mentioned it because it seemed a strange place for them to come from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here