Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
He....HASN'T moved you up in the table? I'm confused.

You CANNOT compare Dougie to Gus. The difference in improvement is MASSIVE.

When Dougie came in, we were a club in the shit. Relegation was a dead cert.

In just over a year, he has changed the style of play got the team playing.

Im not saying Dougie is a better manager, obviously Gus has achieved move.

But to say Dougie has only moved us up 4 places is silly.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Even if it was moving them up 10 places (which he obviously hasn't) it still doesn't compare.

Gus and Tony, (taking the reins near the foot of League 1 after DK kept the club alive on a shoe-string) have over-taken Palace in every department. Yes, they won at The Amex but that is the only thing they can gloat over now so we'll allow them their celebrations as we quietly move on to a different level. All achieved incidentally without screwing ONE SINGLE CREDITOR and all taxes paid and accounted for.

It really isn't the same at all, is it?
That's a good post

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It would be churlish in the extreme to suggest the Freedman is a bad manager. He's done a great job at Palace BUT what Gus has done (withTony's backing) is to actually create a football club, revamping the infrastructure and playing style top to bottom.

We are lucky enough to have a Premier League ground with a Premier League boss, a Premier League chairman and a soon to be Premier League training and Academy facility.

Bloom has the money and the vision and Gus has the practical knowledge of what needs to change.

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
It would be churlish in the extreme to suggest the Freedman is a bad manager. He's done a great job at Palace BUT what Gus has done (withTony's backing) is to actually create a football club, revamping the infrastructure and playing style top to bottom.

We are lucky enough to have a Premier League ground with a Premier League boss, a Premier League chairman and a soon to be Premier League training and Academy facility.

Bloom has the money and the vision and Gus has the practical knowledge of what needs to change.

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

Good post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When Dougie came in, we were a club in the shit. Relegation was a dead cert.

In just over a year, he has changed the style of play got the team playing.

Im not saying Dougie is a better manager, obviously Gus has achieved move.

But to say Dougie has only moved us up 4 places is silly.

The style of play was good against us at The Amex, but we were f***ing AWFUL. Worst performance of the season, easily.

However I thought the style of play was pretty woeful in the 2nd leg against Cardiff. Backs to the wall for 120 minutes.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I think to be fair, Cardiff are a good side and Palace were 1-0 up and their tactics nearly paid off as they got to pens and I thought the way that they were going with luck etc they would win.

Freedman does have the money to spend on wages etc, apparently more than us (did not Gus say that we have the 16th biggest budget in the league), so imagine that Palace pay more in wages (Murray a good example).

Lets see at the end of the year, if Palace are above us, then you could argue that Freedman has done a good job. I think Poyet has more of an influence on the club as a whole, with stadium, Training ground, style of play for all teams, which is my opinion is more entertaining than what I have seen Palace play. They have Zara who is good, but not as good as the Palace fans think, I would not swap him for Buckley or Bridcutt as I fell they are better team players.

In summary, both done well with the resources available to them, who is better ?, we will wait and see.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
The style of play was good against us at The Amex, but we were f***ing AWFUL. Worst performance of the season, easily.

However I thought the style of play was pretty woeful in the 2nd leg against Cardiff. Backs to the wall for 120 minutes.

The style of play may not be pretty but it suits the players we have, and it is starting to work.

CPFC4Life7.

May 19, 2011
I don't think it's the league places, it's the fact that they've gone from shipping 4 or 5 goals on a not unregular basis last year, to having one of the best defences in the league this year. Still pales in comparison to Gus' achievements though

Would have to agree with this. Who knew some of you lot could actually be sensible?

As Red'n'Blue mentioned, at Christmastime last year, we were utter shite. Giving away goals and getting overrun in the midfield week in and week out. Dougie has built our side into one of the best defensive teams in the division. We are not as adventurous going forward as some of the fans would like, but nobody can deny that he has done a great job. Think we've improved 9 spots since he was appointed (I may be wrong though). We are now a team that sides don't really look forward to playing. I expect with a few more signings next season, we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs.

Gus has improved you lot tremendously as well. There's no denying that. I think he's a spoiled twat, but I may be biased :thumbsup:

Both are two of the top young managers in England. And that is that.

As for Muzza..the lad is pure class. Hasn't looked comfortably lately, but reckon once Jonny Williams is back, we will start to see the best of him again. Any Palace "supporter" telling him to jog on is a complete wanker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The style of play may not be pretty but it suits the players we have, and it is starting to work.

What, how you played against Cardiff was your usual, rather than how you played against us at the Amex? Feel sorry for you if so.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
I think to be fair, Cardiff are a good side and Palace were 1-0 up and their tactics nearly paid off as they got to pens and I thought the way that they were going with luck etc they would win.

Freedman does have the money to spend on wages etc, apparently more than us (did not Gus say that we have the 16th biggest budget in the league), so imagine that Palace pay more in wages (Murray a good example).

Lets see at the end of the year, if Palace are above us, then you could argue that Freedman has done a good job. I think Poyet has more of an influence on the club as a whole, with stadium, Training ground, style of play for all teams, which is my opinion is more entertaining than what I have seen Palace play. They have Zara who is good, but not as good as the Palace fans think, I would not swap him for Buckley or Bridcutt as I fell they are better team players.

In summary, both done well with the resources available to them, who is better ?, we will wait and see.

I think its obvious that Palace will have a bigger Budget (we have been in the championship for years) BUT Gus have more money available to him. (Our squad together has cost less then CMS)

I think you will finish above us, even if we dont finish above you, Freedman has still done a good Job.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

It was backs to the wall in the first leg too!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As for Muzza..the lad is pure class. Hasn't looked comfortably lately, but reckon once Jonny Williams is back, we will start to see the best of him again. Any Palace "supporter" telling him to jog on is a complete wanker.

You wouldn't believe the amount of BHA fans who wanted him to "jog on" even when he was banging in the goals for us. Because he doesn't have the right "body language". Sounds like history repeating to me...

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
What, how you played against Cardiff was your usual, rather than how you played against us at the Amex? Feel sorry for you if so.

Yes. 4-2-3-1.

2 defensive midfielders, 2 wingers, a attacking midfielder and a striker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. 4-2-3-1.

2 defensive midfielders, 2 wingers, a attacking midfielder and a striker.

I don't mean the formation. More the mentality. From kick off in the 2nd leg it looked like how Leyton Orient would look, desperately clinging on against Manchester City with 10 mins to go.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
I don't mean the formation. More the mentality. From kick off in the 2nd leg it looked like how Leyton Orient would look, desperately clinging on against Manchester City with 10 mins to go.

We have this terrible mentality of going ahead, then sitting back.

Bristol City away springs to mind.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Yeap fair comment mate, not sure what is best , a big transfer budget or more on wages, or maybe they are combined ?, think Bloom has mentioned that the Football team finances must run themselves, IE not going to go into debt. With 20/30 million going in per year, approx, think our 'player budget' will increase. I like the Managers who do a job without any money, ie Wilkins, but we are now in the big boys leauge, so have to accept that. Not sure what I like or dislike, 2.5 million on CMS or pay a big salary, all i know it takes a lot of moeny to be successful now. I suppose with my Financial head on, we are talking Capital outlay against ongoing costs, both have their issues.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Yeap fair comment mate, not sure what is best , a big transfer budget or more on wages, or maybe they are combined ?, think Bloom has mentioned that the Football team finances must run themselves, IE not going to go into debt. With 20/30 million going in per year, approx, think our 'player budget' will increase. I like the Managers who do a job without any money, ie Wilkins, but we are now in the big boys leauge, so have to accept that. Not sure what I like or dislike, 2.5 million on CMS or pay a big salary, all i know it takes a lot of moeny to be successful now. I suppose with my Financial head on, we are talking Capital outlay against ongoing costs, both have their issues.

Our chairman said the other day, that it is better to spend a little more on transfer fees then spend a little more on wages.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Red'n'Blue - has Freedman done more than steadied the ship ? He came in at a good time and has imposed a bit of structure, and stopped the defence conceding. He may turn out to be a good manager - but it is a bit early to judge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here