Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Why?

I'm not surprised about Murray really. I thought when he left, he's most likely played the best football he'll ever play.

Why?

Looking in, it just doesn't look like he is committed to Brighton in the long term.

Murray just doesn't suit the style of football Dougie likes to play.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
To be honest, this is the ONLY reservation, many of us have. It's not a 'doubt' though - we know where we stand. Gus' ultimate ambition in football is not to manage the Albion. However, we hope that taking us further forward over the next couple of years will get us where we want to be, and help his career at the same time.

Fair enough. I personally couldn't get behind a manager who comes out in the press talking about taking other jobs.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Why?

Looking in, it just doesn't look like he is committed to Brighton in the long term.
How does that mean we'll do better without him though? Are Manchester United better without Ronaldo?

tbh I think he's as commited as any manger or player, but less prone to spouting platitudes in the press.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Why?

Murray just doesn't suit the style of football Dougie likes to play.

Of course he's not. We're a stepping stone in his career but as long as he leaves us in a better position than when he arrived I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
How does that mean we'll do better without him though? Are Manchester United better without Ronaldo?

tbh I think he's as commited as any manger or player, but less prone to spouting platitudes in the press.

What does it do for Players confidence knowing your manager whats another job?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My big doubt about Gus is, is he 100% committed to Brighton?
I think he's more committed than your average manager. He's signed long term and would like to be here for a good while, but he's also fairly honest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Where has he said he wants another job? He has said he wants to manage in the Prem preferably with Brighton. He's still only 43 on a 5 year contract. I think if he hasn't got us promoted in 2-3 years time then he will be off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He doesn't want another job now, he wants to stay. Is it Zaha's ambition to play out his career at Palace - don't be daft. But does that mean no one wants him in the team?

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
Gus has always been an honest, man of his word. Where others are coy about personal ambitions, he has always been open about his future and of successful players under his stewardship - but also about his drive for the Albion to succeed alongside him in the present as a win/win scenario.
I doubt any of us thought he would spend his whole career with us.
What he has done as his part of the Tony Bloom revolution is outstanding and should never be depreciated.
I for one, as with thousands of you others, am enjoying the ride on the Gus Bus and probably never dreampt over the last decade we would play the style of football we play, have our new stadium and the optimism we have for the future.
These moments are all too brief in the life of any one-club football fan. Enjoy every minute. These are days we will all look back on with great pride and be glad Gus was part of it - however long it may be.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus has always been an honest, man of his word. Where others are coy about personal ambitions, he has always been open about his future and of successful players under his stewardship - but also about his drive for the Albion to succeed alongside him in the present as a win/win scenario.
I doubt any of us thought he would spend his whole career with us.
What he has done as his part of the Tony Bloom revolution is outstanding and should never be depreciated.
I for one, as with thousands of you others, am enjoying the ride on the Gus Bus and probably never dreampt over the last decade we would play the style of football we play, have our new stadium and the optimism we have for the future.
These moments are all too brief in the life of any one-club football fan. Enjoy every minute. These are days we will all look back on with great pride and be glad Gus was part of it - however long it may be.

Get a grip man he has been good but having a few quid more than any manager for years does help in this game. What i do agree is the style of football is looking to the future, but again i praise TB for looking ahead and aiming high.
Gus really doesn't need to keep going banging on about his Prem ambitions as TB wants Prem football and if Gus has any faith in his own ability and TB vision he would stick with it and shut his gob, i can only see it unsettling fans and players.

Overall i see it as Gus job is to get us Prem football with TB backing if he does not get us there he has failed.

It is time for TB to slap him back a bit IMO.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Excellent work agent Murray

I've not seen any sulking from Glenn. He's a very good player, but Martin is playing brilliantly atm so is keeping him out of the side.

Murray does well when he plays, and will get his spot back if Martin/Easter aren't performing.

There are only 4 attacking roles in our formation, and three are filled by Martin, Ambrose and Zaha. There are very few players in the League who would keep them out of the side, Abd unfortunately for Glenn he is a very similar player to Martin. His time will come.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think he's more committed than your average manager. He's signed long term and would like to be here for a good while, but he's also fairly honest.

100% this. He's just too honest in the press. But I like the honesty. And he is committed 100% to Albion - unless 'somethnig special' came along. Name me a manager outside the top 6 in prem who isn't in the same boat as that...?!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Name me a manager outside the top 6 in prem who isn't in the same boat as that...?!
Exactly.

People complain that politicians aren't honest enough. It's not because they are bad people, it's because [nicholson]you can't handle the truth[/nicholson].

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is too honest, he needs to engage brain before he speaks to press IMHO... Suarez, the referees, Leeds love-in, and now his Wolves comments...

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The choice is, do you want an honest manager or someone who kisses the badge and leaves with the drop of a hat?
I only wish he would be a little more professional, ie talk about it in house rather than with the press but there you go. We all know that one day he will go but so does every other football supporter in the world.

Get a grip man he has been good but having a few quid more than any manager for years does help in this game. What i do agree is the style of football is looking to the future, but again i praise TB for looking ahead and aiming high.
Gus really doesn't need to keep going banging on about his Prem ambitions as TB wants Prem football and if Gus has any faith in his own ability and TB vision he would stick with it and shut his gob, i can only see it unsettling fans and players.

Overall i see it as Gus job is to get us Prem football with TB backing if he does not get us there he has failed.

It is time for TB to slap him back a bit IMO.

In my opinion there's no need to "slap back" anyone here at all.
GP is a bright new manager who has been developing and learning his trade somewhat with us. BHA took a punt on him probably knowing that he would have the interest in making a name for himself through our club, and with a modest financial backing he is still doing something along those lines.
Given loads more money, this would create pressure on everyone involved to see a return - instead there's a smart level of investment in a decent 'discovery' staffing.

We find that there are indeed a few players who could make the step up, and perhaps they too are still improving as they go.
Some have worried that we would lose Dunk, because he shone in his early appearances.... then the Liverpool match might have revealed a better need for him to stick where he is and stay on the learning curve. It's his first season as a regular member of a first team squad.

There are some lads with talent who have been picked out of other clubs, and perhaps they can achieve with us. Looking at and for ambition in players, is how we see if they are aligned with the club's ambitions. If the club cannot fulfill their ambitions they might head out. Some players have gone early in order to get the faster returns....Crofts and Bennett to name a couple of recent ones, Zamora was a while back.

Brighton and Hove Albion are building a foundation worthy of our new stadium, and to maintain the growth its' new existence implies intention of.
I won't argue with any one supporter from a rival concern, they have had their time to try and further ambitions, and look where they are after all this time and where we are in no time. I know which club I'd be happier at if I was a player OR manager!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports