Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Glenn Murrays actions sum up everything wrong about the modern game. No one should be defending the man. Its not good for football let alone the Albion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No i am not. And quite frankly as i have already said, you would do the same thing in your job. Don't compare Bridcutt with Murray because that is shit too, if Bridcutt has a blinding season and was out of contract the same situation would occur. Don't measure ambition with money that is rubbish too, he is 27, his last chance(probably) of a lump sum AND increased wage, he is 27..........NOT 20

So basically you are saying if a company who had been in administration twice before came in and offered you a 25% rise in your potential salary, you would not think twice about taking it despite the potential of the other company you were with and the past history of the company you were joining. Fair play to you but don't bracket us all in the same section. Murray had a chance to stay at an ambitious club with a new ground or move to a dump in South London with no chance of going anywhere and he chose Palace. That is his decision. We will miss him but if the reported amounts are true then that is a very high wage they are paying for a player who is not proven at Championship level and probably why they went into administration the first two times. Also, you seemed to be wishing him well which is frankly ludicrous. If he had joined almost any other Championship team then fair enough but to join our rivals, if this is true, and wish him well is frankly ridiculous.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm surprised how relaxed I am about this. Maybe a somewhat naive trust that everything will work out OK. Nice to see the VAST majority of fans backing Gus. Any other manager 'letting' someone like Glenn walk would be lynched.
There's no doubt that theres money available for the right player. Gus has said himself, he could sign an established championship striker for the same money as Murray. Palace have signed him out of desperation, and have had to pay well over the odds for him. I think most have also seen two years of "normal" Murray, plus one year of "excellent" Murray. I would have loved him to stay, but it doesn't bother me in the slighest that he's gone. If he doesnt settle straight away, and histiry shows he doesn't, Palace will have a dud on their hands. He wont get time there like he did here to prove himself. Besides, Gus and our Tone will have plenty more irons in the fire. If they wanted Murray to stay, they would have signed him, but they obviosuly have something far better planned

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No i am not. And quite frankly as i have already said, you would do the same thing in your job. Don't compare Bridcutt with Murray because that is shit too, if Bridcutt has a blinding season and was out of contract the same situation would occur. Don't measure ambition with money that is rubbish too, he is 27, his last chance(probably) of a lump sum AND increased wage, he is 27..........NOT 20

Bridcutt's contract was up and he did have a blinding season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But Falmer, football has moved on from the amateur days. I do agree with the premise that loyalty should be displayed, but Glenn has seen out his contract. He did earn his wage in the end. At the end of it, he helped us ensure Championship fussball.

It is a difficult one. There is nothing stopping a player and shouldn't stop a player from working once he has retired from a playing career (something absent from those paid obscene amounts), but I am sure most of us would follow the money in a relatively short career to maximise their gains. It is not as if he is turning down the chance to play in Europe or for his country to play for a side that offers more money, but less opportunities. If I were offered another £1k a week to move from Brighton, I would say no, but that is because playing for Brighton would mean everything.

He's gone. We'll move on. We've got plenty to look forward to next season without getting our knickers in a twist over Murray. Who knows? We might end up with someone better.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
wow... what a prick... cant wait to give him some serious abuse next season at Amex, don't care if some of you disagree with that... what a criminal

SkunkyJ

May 17, 2011
Brightonarecunts

Sep 1, 2010
So basically you are saying if a company who had been in administration twice before came in and offered you a 25% rise in your potential salary, you would not think twice about taking it despite the potential of the other company you were with and the past history of the company you were joining. Fair play to you but don't bracket us all in the same section. Murray had a chance to stay at an ambitious club with a new ground or move to a dump in South London with no chance of going anywhere and he chose Palace. That is his decision. We will miss him but if the reported amounts are true then that is a very high wage they are paying for a player who is not proven at Championship level and probably why they went into administration the first two times. Also, you seemed to be wishing him well which is frankly ludicrous. If he had joined almost any other Championship team then fair enough but to join our rivals, if this is true, and wish him well is frankly ridiculous.

AGAIN, not really based on reality is it. The Admin is the past for Palace, does not mean they cannot thrive in the future does it. What THEY do is up to them in terms of what they want to offer, and it is also up to HIM what he wants to accept, i am not tarring anyone with the same brush at all. You base this opinion on club potential on what exactly? Nothing like most others. I am not really wishing him well, just not calling for his head, which IS what has been said in previous posts. The politicising of the virtues of going in to admin is a longer and deeper debate. The MURRAY thing is JUST him wanting a better deal and HIM getting it. Like i say ambition? very questionable retort based on the past, which is what you are referring to. I would rather work in a run down office for £50,000 than a modern one for £20,000. Fact of life. The company potential is out of my control quite frankly

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
NO other club came in with a much higher offer for him though. Key me thinks

your seeing football purely through money. This club was almost destroyed by that mentality. If you can reason Murrays 'every man for himself' attitude to football then really you should be able to undersand Bellotti and Archers action? (Not that I think you do)

Jimmy Grimble

Wishing him well?

f*** that.

Thanks for helping us up now f*** off you judas wanker.

Sep 1, 2010
your seeing football purely through money. This club was almost destroyed by that mentality. If you can reason Murrays 'every man for himself' attitude to football then really you should be able to undersand Bellotti and Archers action? (Not that I think you do)

You are comparing Paid employees with Owners that sell the club's asset's from under it's nose. .....No there is not even a SLIGHT comparison

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
For someone with a temperament as churchmouse-timid and as brittle as his to take this particular risk seems a genuinely very daft decision to me and as such I'm more baffled than angry about it (although don't me wrong, I'll happily applaud approvingly as he's lynched on the pitch at Falmer at half-time). Let's face it, he won't be able to show his face in Brighton/Hove/Worthing again without someone referring to him a terrible c*nt to his face, plus we know far better than the stripey nigels that something as relatively trivial as a slightly unhappy girlfriend can seriously throw his game off-line for months at a time. That's not to mention joining a team that has a) had serious money worries and b) struggled terribly on the pitch recently. Murray seems such a wimp of an individual frankly that I can imagine his agent cooking much of this up and him being unable or unwilling to think the consequences of it through properly himself. It says a lot about him, sadly.

Ah well. It's definitely a sizable but far from irreplacable loss on the field, no question about that. But far, far better than having someone who thinks they can blithely hold the club to ransom.

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
I must admit that I've felt worse about players leaving. I appreciate what Glenn did for us and his goal ratio, when not injured, was good.
But Gus has such a great football knowledge that I have total faith in his decision not to push the boat out on higher wages than offered to Muzza. I would feel apathetic to the news, but I really cant be bothered.
It's early days in our team building for Championship football next season, but I have the feeling that we will be a much stronger unit come August.
So thank you Glenn for the goals, though I cannot wish you success and to score a load next season. I understand your reasons for wanting to take the money and run, but I feel certain it will be a decision that will backfire for you in the long run.
Enjoy coming to the Amex and seeing what you're missing out on when you return to the delapidated Smellhurst.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
For someone with a temperament as churchmouse-timid and as brittle as his to take this particular risk seems a genuinely very daft decision to me and as such I'm more baffled than angry about it (although don't me wrong, I'll happily applaud approvingly as he's lynched on the pitch at Falmer at half-time). Let's face it, he won't be able to show his face in Brighton/Hove/Worthing again without someone referring to him a terrible c*nt to his face, plus we know far better than the stripey nigels that something as relatively trivial as a slightly unhappy girlfriend can seriously throw his game off-line for months at a time. That's not to mention joining a team that has a) had serious money worries and b) struggled terribly on the pitch recently. Murray seems such a wimp of an individual frankly that I can imagine his agent cooking much of this up and him being unable or unwilling to think the consequences of it through properly himself. It says a lot about him, sadly.

Ah well. It's definitely a sizable but far from irreplacable loss on the field, no question about that. But far, far better than having someone who thinks they can blithely hold the club to ransom.

Good post. His voice matches his personality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here