Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
From the SprortsMail - Murray to Crystal Palace

Last updated at 11:03 PM on 19th May 2011

Palace have completed the free transfer capture of striker Glenn Murray, whose 22 goals propelled Brighton to the League One title.
Brighton tried desperately to persuade him to sign a new contract and Millwall were also hovering.

Palace are also poised to go for Jamie Murphy, who plays for Motherwell in the Scottish Cup Final, and Craig Forsyth from Dundee.

Both are wide players which means Darren Ambrose is almost certain to leave Palace. Talks are scheduled with QPR

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I'm not about to read through the last 1,113 posts on this thread, but this is a very valid point. Poyet seems to have a alightly unusual policy on contracts, allowing them to run out, then doing deals last minute when the season ends. This works when no-one else wants a player, but a source of mine (direct from Murray, but still not a great source) told me he had not been offered a new contract in March. That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Yeah it is stupid. Which is why he signs up players he cares about early, see Bennett and El Abd. Dicker, Bridcutt, Murray are all clearly different cases. It seems to be coming out that Gus doesnt rate Murray while he's asking for too much money, I dont think Dicker's going to play much of a role next year, and Bridcutt only re-signed in Jan and has only really become amazing since then. There wasnt much justification for snapping them up early. He's still learning as a manager certainly, but hopefully the bigger picture (which he can see and we cant, we dont know whats lined up) will prove him right again this year.

Edit: Yeah and what the post above me says.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
An unusual policy, does he? It seems that Poyet ties up those that he sees as being an integral part. From the outset, yo ucan see why Poyet/Bloom were not keen to tie Glenn down with a big contract at the start of the season or midway through. He appeared to not do enough to justify his (potential/acutal) demands. Let's face it. His first two years were pretty shoddy when you see how good he could be, whether that be due to fitness issues or lack of application or being unhappy. Would he have performed quite so well if he had a cushy three year contract waiting for him at the end of the season?

We don't have any idea what/why/when contractual terms were first opened or at least, I don't :lol: I'm certain there was talk of initial talks in January, not ludicrous at a point whereby we didn't know which division we might be in. Certainly a different case to Bridcutt or Bennett, both at the early stages of their careers. His reluctance to sign a contract that would surely make him the highest paid player in the history of BHAFC at this point, surely suggests that a contract offer at the start of this season or midway through would be equally fruitless. Why would Glenn sign then and not now? Which brings us back to playing for his future and earning a contract renewal/move.

Either way, Poyet got the best out of him in his whole career and he helped propel us to the Championship. Win, win.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Bye-bye Glenn and thanks for this seasons contribution
I for one won't boo you
Good luck to you

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The King is dead. Long live the King. f***, who is the new King...?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Thats that then . Another reason to hate palace . That aside hope glen got his dosh up front!!!

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
If this is true, i think i will more than likely laugh at Murray as what a awful choice, he is obviousally money mad, as Palace losing there best player in Danns and will be in a relagation battle next year.
He is sooo stupid leaving us but also going to our big rivals, i am annoyed that who he has purely joined.
He better have some thick skin as going to get a lot of abuse

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
belly_flop_253935.jpg

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Last updated at 11:03 PM on 19th May 2011

Palace have completed the free transfer capture of striker Glenn Murray, whose 22 goals propelled Brighton to the League One title.
Brighton tried desperately to persuade him to sign a new contract and Millwall were also hovering.

Palace are also poised to go for Jamie Murphy, who plays for Motherwell in the Scottish Cup Final, and Craig Forsyth from Dundee.

Both are wide players which means Darren Ambrose is almost certain to leave Palace. Talks are scheduled with QPR

Bit late 1103pm innit!

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
If I had the wings of a seagull, If I had the arse of a cow,
I'd fly over Smellhurst Park, and shit on Glenn Murray below, below......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here