Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I don't believe Poyet ever rated him, probably more to do with general attitude than talent.

He's undoubtedly improved him this season, but both Bloom and Poyet have still have enough concerns about not to offer above what they consider to be his worth.

He doesn't want to play for the club, so he is best gone. Although he was our best striker last season, I'll be honest to say I've never really liked him and won't miss him a jot.

Paul Rogers said at the end of last season that Poyet did not particularly rate Murray and found him a very challenging person to deal with as he needs special treatment.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I don't believe Poyet ever rated him, probably more to do with general attitude than talent.

He's undoubtedly improved him this season, but both Bloom and Poyet have still have enough concerns about not to offer above what they consider to be his worth.

He doesn't want to play for the club, so he is best gone. Although he was our best striker last season, I'll be honest to say I've never really liked him and won't miss him a jot.

Clapham, yes mate. That same thought was on pages 2, 4, 7, 8, 13, 15, 19, 23, 26, 29, 33, 45, 49, 51......

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If he goes. he goes.

No player is bigger than the club (remember the Nicky Forster affair) ... Gus got that that right and we can trust his judgement again. As a point of principle he won't offer more than he feels Glen is worth as an unproven Championship player.

Of course we can afford to match any offers that have been made to him, but what message would that send out to the rest of the squad? If you want a pay rise, just threaten to leave! No!!

I guarantee that when we line up for that first league game in August, with our best 11 players, we'll all be excited! The two players standing in the centre circle with the ball at their feet (toss permitting of course!) one of them will probably be Ashley Barnes, the other, currently unknown; but we'll be excited! Because he'll be a proven goalscorer at this level and possibly higher. A "name", someone who will quite possibly be on more money than Glen Murray!

I want Glen to stay, because I think he's good enough, but the prospect of him making way for someone even better is actually preferable in my opinion!

I agree with this totally, the only thing that you've not mentioned is he's going to Palace, who have and always will be the enemy.
It's like Rooney going to Liverpool (obviously on a lesser scale) if Rooney went to Real Madrid, it wouldn't be that much of a problem,
a disappointment yes, but a riot - no. He's off to our no.1 rival, that is the problem

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is he any good chaps or a one season wonder ?

He's better than Thomas Brolin in his Palace days but worse than Ian Wright.

A good league one player, suspect an average Championship player. Not as good as Holt or Earnshaw for example.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
A good league one player, suspect an average Championship player. Not as good as Holt or Earnshaw for example.

How so? He's not proven at Championship level, but he hasn't played at that level. It is not as if he's had 3 seasons there and scored less than 10 each season. I wouldn't be so quick to downplay his Championship potential, he has improved incredibly this season, who is to say he won't next season, with the right service I could easily see him slotting 15 away at least.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Bung him some of the transfer fee then!

If Murray wants to leave signing on contract here wouldn't help. He's got no loyalty to us (understandably) and doesn't have a contract with us putting people off. I'd be doing exactly the same as him in his position.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Of course I would rather he had signed a new contract before it had expired this summer but unfortunately that did not happen. What I mean is that we are not going to pay players more than we think they are worth. That is the right way to go.

That is my point though, we have had plenty of opporunities to offer him a better deal, its been obvious for a while that he was likely to end up with over 20 goals, but we didn't protect our asset. Fine, offload him if you feel he is not worth what he is asking for, but why lose out on a potentially very high transfer fee? Way too late now, of course, this should have been offered in January.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How so? He's not proven at Championship level, but he hasn't played at that level. It is not as if he's had 3 seasons there and scored less than 10 each season. I wouldn't be so quick to downplay his Championship potential, he has improved incredibly this season, who is to say he won't next season, with the right service I could easily see him slotting 15 away at least.

15 goals from our lead striker won't get us promoted, hence why Poyet isn't willing to pay top dollar for HIM.

I doubt he will get more than 10 btw, unless he signs for a top three sign, which Palace/Millwall won't be.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Torres went to a (caused my Jose) bad-blood rival CFC. LFC have advanced without the sulky Torres in the camp, whilst he has produced one shinned goal for his new club.

Not the end of the world at all. The depression or injuries may resurface, whilst on wage-budget-impacting wadge at Palace.

Better to have a happy squad, and Gus would have many plans long ago.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It seems to me that some fans are finding reasons to justify GM going rather than thinking it through, it is easier to accept if you can convince yourself he isn't really that good and will only score 10 in the Champ.

Please feel free to bump this thread at Christmas, but I rank GM more highly than most, it seems, and fully expect him to do very well whichever club he end up playing for.

I also don't accept the "drop him because he's difficult to manage" crap, as the futher you progress up the football ladder, the more players are paid, the harder they are to manage, I bet there are a lot of prem players that are a damn site more demanding than GM, and this is something GP will need to be able to handle at some point, whether with us or elsewhere.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Way too late now, of course, this should have been offered in January.

I'm not about to read through the last 1,113 posts on this thread, but this is a very valid point. Poyet seems to have a alightly unusual policy on contracts, allowing them to run out, then doing deals last minute when the season ends. This works when no-one else wants a player, but a source of mine (direct from Murray, but still not a great source) told me he had not been offered a new contract in March. That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
On the other side of the coin, what must he be like to play with? I can kind of see the difficult to manage stuff, but it might be more of a problem that he doesnt fit in to the dressing room. This squad is full of bubbly characters who seem to get on well, go out together, play for each other on the pitch. You never get the impression Murray's involved with this. Yeah he's shy and everything, but that doesnt stop him having friends. Maybe he's difficult to play with, as well as manage?

This isnt me justifying him leaving. He's my favourite player, I massively rate him and think he will be an asset in this division next year.

Oh and finally, Grant Holt was hardly proven at Championship level, neither was Steve Morison etc etc and they did alright.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not about to read through the last 1,113 posts on this thread, but this is a very valid point. Poyet seems to have a alightly unusual policy on contracts, allowing them to run out, then doing deals last minute when the season ends. This works when no-one else wants a player, but a source of mine (direct from Murray, but still not a great source) told me he had not been offered a new contract in March. That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Murray would have been mental to sign a contract before seeing where Brighton were at the end of the season, and then seeing what other offers he would recieve. No one with a brain in their head would have done it in Murray's position and with the goals he was scoring, I think Poyet pretty much said that himself. What's the point of offering a contract when Murray wouldn't have signed it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here