Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
sadly that is true.

hopefully the rumour that palace are also after Nugent from pompey on a free isn't true

Eureka!! Have we had a Nugent to the Albion thread yet? This one could have legs :thumbsup:

EagleDave

May 17, 2011
As Guy Poyet said, and it's clear to see in black and white.

As a club, Brighton couldn't financially compete with what Crystal Palace have offered Murray.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

I have faith in Gus to replace him. Just would prefer him to not have to.

Maybe Gus isn't too bothered about him leaving and the club don't see it as the same negative that you do?

Your argument about budgets being stretched and Murray NOT being on a FORTUNE doesn't hold water really, does it? He was always looking for a big pay day this year so that will already have been factored into The Albion's pay structure for next season. He goes elsewhere, that money gets used on somebody better. Money already set aside for the 'two decent players' is still there. As will be the money needed for the 7 new players Gus is hoping to bring in. Do you seriously believe Gus and Bloom would let a prized asset go so easily to Palace if they valued him as highly as you clearly do?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm with you on this one contract should have negotiated at Chirstmas, if we did not want him anymore we would have still had a salable asset. Clauses could have been written in if we had failed to gain promotion.

Gus knows the player best and decided that he would get more out of him striving for a new contract either here or somewhere else than if he gave him a three year deal. Whoever signs him will have the same problem that Glenn will more than likely slip into his comfort zone and not score too many goals. I may be wrong but he strikes me as a man that struggles for motivation.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
How are we going to replace Glenn Murray if we cannot afford Glenn Murray in the first place.

We cant get someone better than Murray with less wages surely? If we want a proven Championship player, surely he will cost more than what Murray is asking for? Or are we pinning our hopes on Ashley Barnes to make the step up at his young age?

Strange move on Glenn's part, but if money is what he wants, then thats up to him. A large proportion of Brighton fans didnt seem to rate him until January this year, so maybe that could be why he is off.

We have proved we are a worse team without him in it, so its going to be one hell of a signing to replace his goals, all round link up play and defending.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Who says we can't afford him? Don't want to pay him what he has asked for is not the same as can't.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

As a club, Brighton couldn't financially compete with what Crystal Palace have offered Murray.

That is not actually correct. Gus has said that Murray has been offered what we think he is worth. Clearly, we do not rate Murray as highly as Palarse do. I am very confident if he was viewed as a key player for next season, we would out-bid you.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How are we going to replace Glenn Murray if we cannot afford Glenn Murray in the first place.

We cant get someone better than Murray with less wages surely? If we want a proven Championship player, surely he will cost more than what Murray is asking for? Or are we pinning our hopes on Ashley Barnes to make the step up at his young age?

Strange move on Glenn's part, but if money is what he wants, then thats up to him. A large proportion of Brighton fans didnt seem to rate him until January this year, so maybe that could be why he is off.

We have proved we are a worse team without him in it, so its going to be one hell of a signing to replace his goals, all round link up play and defending.

You're missing the point of what Gus is really saying.

If you go to a car showroom with £50k to spend and they offer you a mini for £40k you will probably say no.

If however they offer you a DB7 for £50k you will probably say yes.

Gus clearly doesn't think Murray is worth the kind of money he is demanding and getting elsewhere. And given Gus sees him every day of the working week I would trust his judgement far more than anyone on here or any other club.

Still fully expect us to sign better players than Glenn, just you wait, you won't be disappointed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Thats probably correct for Murray, Gus must have had a figure that he thought Murray was worth and if Palace value him higher than that then he would say let him go. But this does not mean that we cannot afford higher wages for someone better. But I think we will find out in the near future when we sign a replacement. How funny that would be if it turned out to be Vaughan.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm with you on this one contract should have negotiated at Chirstmas, if we did not want him anymore we would have still had a salable asset. Clauses could have been written in if we had failed to gain promotion.

FFS. The people in charge of The Albion aren't stupid. If Murray's contract was deemed important, it would have been sorted out. That is, providing MURRAY also wanted it settled and which now seems pretty obvious that he wasn't that bothered to stay here. He wouldn't be going to Croydon if he had any thoughts about staying and one has to look and think that he (Murray) knew exactly what he was doing by not re-newing. We have a chairman who has made enough cash to shell out over £100 Million on a new stadium-he's not likely to f*** up contract negotiations with a player who wants to stay is he?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well, that's a moot point isn't it ? You see the big difference between Palace and us is that at least we have the decency to pay our debts. Palace would rather just risk going out of business or end up robbing a lot of people (like we tax payers for instance). If there was any justice the money you plan to spunk on new players should be spent on reimbursing everybody that you've ripped off. Still trying to explain morality to a Palace fan is a waste of time I know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

As a club, Brighton havn't even tried to compete with what Palace offer to pay their players.

Its how we've managed to avoid going bust. Twice.

Well done though, you must be very proud.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Just to add balance to the "Glenn the dirty scummer" debate, I would like to add that, should he end up staying, he is the best striker in the Championship and crucial to our success. Otherwise he can do one and he's crap.

Thank you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like squrrels....here is a picture :)

Squirrel-adult.jpg

awwww, bless him.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Eureka!! Have we had a Nugent to the Albion thread yet? This one could have legs :thumbsup:

I haven't read all 50 pages of this thread, so apologies if already covered. But i have it on good authority that Nugent wants to move back up north to be closer to his family. So doubt he will go to palace - but he does need a club so if no one else comes in for him i guess thats where he will end up - if true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports