Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What people are also not taking into account is at the end of the season Poyet said he needed 7 new players. He has already added an extra centre back to that list. Now we need an extra top class centre forward.

His budget is getting stretched by at least two decent players. Yes, he will save on Murray's wages, but Murray wasn't on a FORTUNE by any means. Certainly not the cost of a Championship standard replacement.

How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

I have faith in Gus to replace him. Just would prefer him to not have to.
Yup, agree with every word of that. But it does beg the question of why didn't Poyet re-negotiate a deal with Murray the same way he did with El Abd and Bennett? The only thing is to conclude that he doesn't rate Murray as highly as he does some other members of the squad. That's not the same as saying he doesn't rate him of course, but he is being remarkably sanguine about it when you think of the strop he threw when Calderon was thinking of going to Southampton.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I trust Gus to replace him. But for people saying they are not bothered that we are heading into a new season having lost our top scorer and one of top three players is ridiculous.

Will we recover? Probably. Is it still a blow? Certainly.

Murray does not suddenly become shit because we don't think he is worth £10,000 a week.

Word.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I trust Gus to replace him. But for people saying they are not bothered that we are heading into a new season having lost our top scorer and one of top three players is ridiculous.

Will we recover? Probably. Is it still a blow? Certainly.

Murray does not suddenly become shit because we don't think he is worth £10,000 a week.
I agree with every word of this, but aren't people simply arguing different points here?

Of course losing Murray makes Gus' job more difficult, but if he thinks he can get more value from another player I don't see the problem.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I still don't believe that we're paying well above what other clubs have offered. Dougie and Steve Parish recently said we cannot afford Murray and we won't pay above our wage structure.

Not sure he'd be our top earner either, it took a good contract to get Ambrose to sign (ultimately his goals saved us from certain relegation) but if the figures quoted are correct, he'd be up there I suppose.

Incidentally, after Bennett plenty of you rate him as your best player. Surely you'd agree that a replacement would cost a fair whack unless you took a gamble on a foreign import? For that reason, I think some of you are in denial about what a big loss he'll be purely because he's apparently joining the arch enemy.

I actually agree with this, it's amazing how much Glenn was being rated as such a high quality player (which he is) just a few weeks ago, and now loads of people saying he never got on with the fans, isn't that good, is always injured, always wanted to move back north etc., which is all rubbish. There's no denying that he is a good player and I'd be amazed if he didn't have an impact at Championship level. He will be hard (but not impossible) to replace.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I am absolutely convinced that this is all a big set up in a similar vein to the Calderon affair last summer. I suspect that we have agreed to pay Glenn a substantial amount of cash to stay but by issuing a statement to the Argus that says we are not budging on wages it means that come tomorrow when he signs a new 3 year deal everyone looks good.

Murray looks good as it shows he has turned down higher wages from our biggest rivals to stay. Gus/Tony look good as we are publicly showing we are not prepared to be held to ransom and the reality is that we give him what he wants and no one knows any different.

I expect a statement around 10am to this effect (that last bit is a guess!)

Nurse!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
El Abd may be tempted by a stupidly big difference as more than three times his salary. He would be daft not to be. However, I am confident that he would not go anywhere for the odd couple of grand a week as Murray looks determined to do.

The odd couple of grand a week is £104k a year, or more than £200k over the course of a two-year contract.

I think any of our current squad would DEFINITELY leave for that sort of increase.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
All a plan by gus to keep NSC ticking along and give us something to have a good old moan about :lolol:

If muzza wanted to stay he would have signed what we have offered and be away on his holibobs. As good as he can be do we really want players here that are not fully committed to us? Ask fozzie for an inside answer maybe. There's going to be plenty of twists and turns this summer and I think this is merely a warm up for the fun and games to come.

EagleDave

May 17, 2011
It amazes me to think the amount of supporters who still believe we are cash strapped!

We are now a club working within a budget, the 4 guys in charge of the club are very wealthy guys and we will certainly not be short of a pound or two.

We clearly set the level at the start of what we wanted to offer Glenn and appears that has been enough to get him. At the end of the day, he will be joining on a free transfer so no signing fee would have been used, meaning more could be used towards his wages, so in that context it won't be a deal that proves that expensive.

I know Freedman is still trying to do a deal for James Vaughan too, so a strike force of Vaughan and Murray next season would be a very good one to have in my opinion.

maybitch

May 13, 2011
That's not actually true though. Is it?

part off it is but all im saying is we need to keep the likes off noone bennett. glenn i think wont be a problem to replace its not like when zamora left and everyone was shittin themselves

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Surely a signing on fee will increase if you do not have to pay a club for his services?

I thought you have always worked within some sort of budget, EagleDave, it is just that your budgets exceed income and means borrowing money/services from local businesses and ordinary folk to hedge fund managers and banks.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm glad we're keeping to our wage structure, Blackpool FC would be a great financial model for us to follow. Glenn is entirely right in getting as much cash as he can, by the way. Onwards and upwards.

This, if we start breaking it now we will be paying over the odds for every other player we sign during the Summer. It's not worth it.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It amazes me to think the amount of supporters who still believe we are cash strapped!

We are now a club working within a budget, the 4 guys in charge of the club are very wealthy guys and we will certainly not be short of a pound or two.

We clearly set the level at the start of what we wanted to offer Glenn and appears that has been enough to get him. At the end of the day, he will be joining on a free transfer so no signing fee would have been used

Aye, except the hefty one you will be paying Glenn and Mr Bowry. Use your noddle.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
In the words of Jessie J "it ain't about the money".

Please Glenn don't go to Palace it won't help you progress your career.

Also he is of the quality of a £1m player, or that's what it would cost to replace him. Why do we not give him £500,000 as a signing on fee and keep him on sensible wages but make him sign a 4 year deal. That would be the equivalent to £2,500 extra per week. That way we have a striker and don't need to splash out on replacing him.

I'm with you on this one contract should have negotiated at Chirstmas, if we did not want him anymore we would have still had a salable asset. Clauses could have been written in if we had failed to gain promotion.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The odd couple of grand a week is £104k a year, or more than £200k over the course of a two-year contract.

I think any of our current squad would DEFINITELY leave for that sort of increase.

Really? I am sure than most also have an interest in what is best for their careers. Do you not think that Liam Bridcutt could have maybe got a better offer somewhere after his fantastic progress last season?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I know Freedman is still trying to do a deal for James Vaughan too, so a strike force of Vaughan and Murray next season would be a very good one to have in my opinion.

sadly that is true.

hopefully the rumour that palace are also after Nugent from pompey on a free isn't true

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports