Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sep 1, 2010
What people are also not taking into account is at the end of the season Poyet said he needed 7 new players. He has already added an extra centre back to that list. Now we need an extra top class centre forward.

His budget is getting stretched by at least two decent players. Yes, he will save on Murray's wages, but Murray wasn't on a FORTUNE by any means. Certainly not the cost of a Championship standard replacement.

How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

I have faith in Gus to replace him. Just would prefer him to not have to.

How do you know Poyet had not factored that he would probably lose Murray anyway.......which quite frankly, he had. Championship replacement does not have to cost what we would be offering Murray anyway. I think some people get confused with the real world and championship manager.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are we sure that 7 didn't already include Glenn's replacements? He did mention that if he got a couple he was looking for Glenn would have less opportunity. Even if not, his comments would suggest the extra person added to the list will be a 3rd/4th choice striker, not another main striker.

Of course, that could just have been posturing as part of negotiations...

Edit: Beaten to it, thrice!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
What people are also not taking into account is at the end of the season Poyet said he needed 7 new players. He has already added an extra centre back to that list. Now we need an extra top class centre forward.

His budget is getting stretched by at least two decent players. Yes, he will save on Murray's wages, but Murray wasn't on a FORTUNE by any means. Certainly not the cost of a Championship standard replacement.

What he WAS on is irrelevant isn't it. It's what he DEMANDED to be on that was the problem. Clearly only Crystal Palace feel that he is worth that to them.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Splash cash on signing a new centre forward to replace Murray = less to go round on the other EIGHT players Poyet has said he wants to sign.

Not just as simple as Murray out, like for like in.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

Because not everyone thinks he is that good. He is a good player and a decent League 1 striker. We don't no any more than that. I think he would do OK in the Championship, especially in a winning team. But to break the bank for a striker unproven at Championship level would be the wrong thing to do. We've offered him what we think he is worth, if he thinks he is worth more and Gus / Bloom don't think he is then that's good enough for me. They'll get someone else, he's not irreplaceable.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Because not everyone thinks he is that good. He is a good player and a decent League 1 striker. We don't no any more than that. I think he would do OK in the Championship, especially in a winning team. But to break the bank for a striker unproven at Championship level would be the wrong thing to do. We've offered him what we think he is worth, if he thinks he is worth more and Gus / Bloom don't think he is then that's good enough for me. They'll get someone else, he's not irreplaceable.

I trust Gus to replace him. But for people saying they are not bothered that we are heading into a new season having lost our top scorer and one of top three players is ridiculous.

Will we recover? Probably. Is it still a blow? Certainly.

Murray does not suddenly become shit because we don't think he is worth £10,000 a week.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I have faith in Gus to replace him. Just would prefer him to not have to.

I too am disappointed that Murray seems certain to be on his way, he was my player of the season. But as others have said if Gus REALLY wanted to keep him he would. I'm sure in that number of 7 players he had already factored in at least one more striker and probably already has in mind a specific replacement. I am convinced that Gus knows what his next move is with the striking line-up, it's just going to be annoying having to wait to find out what it is.

I totally thought Gus had lost it during the Forster spat, and I am glad to say I was wrong and if that incident taught me anything, it was that Gus does indeed know best.

I still think this is a poor move for Murray and if Palace were the only team his agent could prise a reasonable offer out of then he really needs to get a new one.

Sep 1, 2010
Splash cash on signing a new centre forward to replace Murray = less to go round on the other EIGHT players Poyet has said he wants to sign.

Not just as simple as Murray out, like for like in.

Well, the REAL FACT is...you know zip about the clubs spending/wage budget for the coming season. Your making a point based on f*** all.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Because they are not being offered that amount elsewhere.

Does anyone honestly think if Palace came in and said: "Hi Adam El Abd, Brighton are paying you £3,000 a week (a guess), we will offer you £10,000" that he would not go or at the very least ask Brighton to match the offer?

Of course he might! That has no relevance whatsoever though does it?! The question was whether to spend 10k a week on an unproven Championship player, if Adam El-Abd asked for ten grand he'd get the same answer as Glenn.

Matt Richards

Jan 22, 2009
I am absolutely convinced that this is all a big set up in a similar vein to the Calderon affair last summer. I suspect that we have agreed to pay Glenn a substantial amount of cash to stay but by issuing a statement to the Argus that says we are not budging on wages it means that come tomorrow when he signs a new 3 year deal everyone looks good.

Murray looks good as it shows he has turned down higher wages from our biggest rivals to stay. Gus/Tony look good as we are publicly showing we are not prepared to be held to ransom and the reality is that we give him what he wants and no one knows any different.

I expect a statement around 10am to this effect (that last bit is a guess!)

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Not that we know all of the Albion players' salaries, but isn't it a bit of an insult to all of the other hard-working players at the club that Murray regards himself as worth so much more per week than the others?

There's just no way that any Championship club should be comfortable with spending £10,000 per week on a player who has never played in the top two divisions.

And if Palace are the club who fork out silly money on Glenn Murray, let them take the wild gamble.

I'm sure Bloom is willing to pay that kind of salary to a player in The Championship if need be, but Gus clearly feels he can do better for the money, and I thoroughly agree.

In Gus We Trust :thumbsup:

Does anyone honestly think if Palace came in and said: "Hi Adam El Abd, Brighton are paying you £3,000 a week (a guess), we will offer you £10,000" that he would not go or at the very least ask Brighton to match the offer?

Not if they addressed him like that, no.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In the words of Jessie J "it ain't about the money".

Please Glenn don't go to Palace it won't help you progress your career.

Also he is of the quality of a £1m player, or that's what it would cost to replace him. Why do we not give him £500,000 as a signing on fee and keep him on sensible wages but make him sign a 4 year deal. That would be the equivalent to £2,500 extra per week. That way we have a striker and don't need to splash out on replacing him.

Wow - Genius! Now I bet nobody at the Club have even considered that! :wanker:

IF Gus really wanted Murray to stay, I am sure we would push the boat out to get him. However, the guy has never really fitted in, and I doubt very much if he figures highly in Gus' future plans.

He is a professional sportsman. Clearly, he is more of a "professional" (whore) than a sportsman, as he clearly only cares about money.

Just f*** off Murray you miserable prick! I look forward to giving you tons of abuse when we play Palarse.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not that we know all of the Albion players' salaries, but isn't it a bit of an insult to all of the other hard-working players at the club that Murray regards himself as worth so much more per week than the others?

There's just no way that any Championship club should be comfortable with spending £10,000 per week on a player who has never played in the top two divisions.

And if Palace are the club who fork out silly money on Glenn Murray, let them take the wild gamble.

I'm sure Bloom is willing to pay that kind of salary to a player in The Championship if need be, but Gus clearly feels he can do better for the money, and I thoroughly agree.

In Gus We Trust :thumbsup:

It is not that he things he deserves more. It is that he is being OFFERED more. You can't blame him for pushing for more cash to stay here can you, honestly?

It seems Palace have set the bar here, not Glenn.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm glad we're keeping to our wage structure, Blackpool FC would be a great financial model for us to follow. Glenn is entirely right in getting as much cash as he can, by the way. Onwards and upwards.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Murray does not suddenly become shit because we don't think he is worth £10,000 a week.

I suspect it's more a case that at say £3k he's worth every penny but at £10k he's well over priced.

Going to palace with there dubious finances and a slum of a stadium isn't exactly what I would call a good decision unless it's all down to money.

If he can keep focussed and keep his toys in the pram he will do alright however I do wonder how much of his form is down to 's management . Interesting times

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

El Abd may be tempted by a stupidly big difference as more than three times his salary. He would be daft not to be. However, I am confident that he would not go anywhere for the odd couple of grand a week as Murray looks determined to do.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Anyone suggesting he isn't very good is deluded. He has always done well for us scoring double figures most seasons. I expect Gus was already planning to sign 2 strikers who are an improvemtn on Glenn so isn't too fussed if he stays or not but he probably won't be the star man for us next season so we won't be paying him over the odds.

But Gus and Bloom have offered him a contract so they must feel he is worth keeping even if its just to challenge the other strikers as i'm sure he could get us double figures in the championship

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports