Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm interested in which will come first - 1,000 posts on the thread OR confirmation of the transfer.

I still don't believe that we're paying well above what other clubs have offered. Dougie and Steve Parish recently said we cannot afford Murray and we won't pay above our wage structure.

Not sure he'd be our top earner either, it took a good contract to get Ambrose to sign (ultimately his goals saved us from certain relegation) but if the figures quoted are correct, he'd be up there I suppose.

Incidentally, after Bennett plenty of you rate him as your best player. Surely you'd agree that a replacement would cost a fair whack unless you took a gamble on a foreign import? For that reason, I think some of you are in denial about what a big loss he'll be purely because he's apparently joining the arch enemy.

No denying he'd be a loss, but those wage demands won't be.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Who in our squad IS proven at that level?

Quite. To paraphrase one of my favourite west wing lines, there's a time in the career of every player that is successful at a particular level when they were unproven at that level.

Unproven is not automatically a bad thing.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not bothered as I trust Gus to build a team worthy of the Championship.

Thanks Glenn and good luck although if he does go to Palace it just shows how nothing speaks more than money to most players these days.

He could stay, have the support of huge fanbase, the glamour of a new stadium, a healthy pay rise, fantastic team spirit and the guidance of arguarbly the best young manager in the country yet that all goes out the window with the wave of a wad of cash - even though it's from a club who've already almost hit the wall and been relegated in the last 18 months.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And to think, somoene on page 27 said the thread was dying out and wouldn't reach 30 pages.

Will a mod merge this thread with the other glenn murray one started today, which would bump this thread to around 960?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And to think, somoene on page 27 said the thread was dying out and wouldn't reach 30 pages.

Will a mod merge this thread with the other glenn murray one started today, which would bump this thread to around 960?

That was me..clueless

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Glenn Murray, Judas C.u.n.t
Glenn Murray, Judas C.u.n.t
Glenn Murray Judas C.u.n.t

C. U. N. T

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
As mentioned Gus doesnt seem too bothered about this, i think if Gus really wanted him to stay and asked Tony to stump up the wages im pretty sure he would. Maybe Gus doesnt think he can cut it a league above. Until its confirmed officially he's still our player..........if it is confirmed then he's Palace scum and deserves every bit of abuse the money grabbing Palace c**t gets!!!!!! Whatever happens i firmly believe come August Gus will have the team he wants to challenge the championship!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What people are also not taking into account is at the end of the season Poyet said he needed 7 new players. He has already added an extra centre back to that list. Now we need an extra top class centre forward.

His budget is getting stretched by at least two decent players. Yes, he will save on Murray's wages, but Murray wasn't on a FORTUNE by any means. Certainly not the cost of a Championship standard replacement.

How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

I have faith in Gus to replace him. Just would prefer him to not have to.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Very few of them but they are not asking for 10k a week.

Because they are not being offered that amount elsewhere.

Does anyone honestly think if Palace came in and said: "Hi Adam El Abd, Brighton are paying you £3,000 a week (a guess), we will offer you £10,000" that he would not go or at the very least ask Brighton to match the offer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What people are also not taking into account is at the end of the season Poyet said he needed 7 new players. He has already added an extra centre back to that list. Now we need an extra top class centre forward.

His budget is getting stretched by at least two decent players. Yes, he will save on Murray's wages, but Murray wasn't on a FORTUNE by any means. Certainly not the cost of a Championship standard replacement.

How anyone can suddenly paint losing your main striker as anything but negative is beyond me.

But I don't think Gus was overly arsed about keeping Murray and indicated this to the board, hence why we probably offered what we thought he was worth. Who knows, he could be brilliant in the Championship, but I am pretty sure Gus will already have had this covered and in his plans.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

agree with this

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

How do you know the 7 didn't include a replacement for Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports