Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
You are assuming there IS a wage structure. Tony Bloom is a hugely successful gambler. The holy grail of gambling is obtaining value. I very much doubt that Tony would have a set in stone position on salaries. He and Gus (or either of) clearly feel that they would not be getting value at in excess of ten grand per week. That does not mean that another player may well offer value at that kind of figure.

100% this.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
I trust Gus (A la Forster situation). If Gus and Tony had want Glenn to stay and thought he was worth the extra wages they'd have signed him up long ago. If you look at strikers they normally have a couple of good seasons in them, then dine out on those for the rest of their careers, maybe Gus thinks we've seen the best of him and can get someone better for the money. I won't be sad to see him go, he's hardly come out and said he's enjoyed his time here.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gus strikes me as a manager very astute in the transfer market, he must have a couple of strikers lined up already given how thin we are up front. The fact he doesn't seem fussed suggests to me he has a few targets lined up for less money who he thinks can replace Glenn (or someone better for slightly more money), I honestly think if Poyet believed Murray was worth the money he wants Bloom would give Poyet the funds to offer him the higher wage. In Gus we trust.

You've got to believe that Gus knows exactly what he's doing here and there can be little doubt that our position is "won't pay" rather than "can't pay".

Gus and Tony Bloom aren't stupid. If they are willing to let him go to the Nigels then I believe they've been working on replacements long before the season ended. A few months back, in an interview, Gus more or less gave Murray the green light to put himself in the transfer shop window when he said that if he was still playing he'd do exactly what Murray is doing. Didn't sound too bothered either and probably knew then that he'd be off. As much as I loathe them, Man Utd always seem to manage after they lose a key player by replacing them with somebody as good (or almost as good). Even they get priced out of some players' demands sometimes. They just move on and I believe Gus will use Taggart as his role model in situations like this. Not saying we are like ManUtd but nowt wrong in copying them-allowing for our financial constraints.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone who thinks Poyet's job in building a squad for next season is anything but MUCH harder if Murray goes is an idiot.

does that include Gus himself, who seems to think it better to let him go, then find another striker at wages presumably in the the same ballpark?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I am genually gutted that it appears he is off..........just worries me that we may not have the money that people think to bring in good replacements.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who thinks Poyet's job in building a squad for next season is anything but MUCH harder if Murray goes is an idiot.

What you forget is that if Gus wanted Murray that badly, he'd have had him signed up by now, of that I'm certain.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
does that include Gus himself, who seems to think he's better gone and find another striker at wages in the the same ballpark?

What about the transfer fee? A player of better quality than Murray would cost in excess of £750K? Have we got that as well as wages?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

That depends on what he wants out of a squad. If, as has been suggested, Gus is not desperate to keep him because of his attitude etc, then it makes it a lot easier to build the squad that he wants without him.

I still think that if Gus was desperate to keep him, he would. It seems like he has pretty much free reign from Bloom, and if he told Bloom that he needs Murray at all costs, then I think Bloom would make it happen. I reckon we have someone else lined up.

maybitch

May 13, 2011
Does not explain the season he reached double figures when we were crap and neither of those two played for us...

And maybe, just maybe, they got good assists BECAUSE Glenn was on the end to finish the moves off...

but with the service he was givin anyone could hav scored goal

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
And what's to say that if he had accepted a new contract with us, he would have just not bothered too much, bit like his first couple of seasons here.
Don't forget he had a lot of incentive to have a good season........ his contract was ending.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill

It would certainly be easier had Glenn stayed but Poyet doesn't strike me as the type to take the easy option, he isn't a fool and either has another player lined up or is going to blow Palace out the water at the last minute.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
glad it is being resolved early and good luck to Muzza for getting himself the best possible deal.

I still reckon we will struggle to replace his hold-up and defensive play more than we will miss his goals - maybe we will need to change our playing style and go for a team of ball-players and no recognised target man? Or maybe we will sign Wood*

*don't knock it - still very young and for all that he has still to learn he scored at pretty much the same rate as Glenn and Barnesy and managed to put himself about physically. Can only get better and better IMO

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Clearly they would still like him here or they would not have offered a deal but they clearly do not rate him as much as your management team and therefore offered him what they felt appropriate. The fact is you are paying more than anyone else offered and admit you need (desperate?) for a striker would suggest you are paying him over the odds and who knows what will happen with relations at your club when he walks in as highest paid player straight from league 1

I still don't believe that we're paying well above what other clubs have offered. Dougie and Steve Parish recently said we cannot afford Murray and we won't pay above our wage structure.

Not sure he'd be our top earner either, it took a good contract to get Ambrose to sign (ultimately his goals saved us from certain relegation) but if the figures quoted are correct, he'd be up there I suppose.

Incidentally, after Bennett plenty of you rate him as your best player. Surely you'd agree that a replacement would cost a fair whack unless you took a gamble on a foreign import? For that reason, I think some of you are in denial about what a big loss he'll be purely because he's apparently joining the arch enemy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A few months back, in an interview, Gus more or less gave Murray the green light to put himself in the transfer shop window when he said that if he was still playing he'd do exactly what Murray is doing. Didn't sound too bothered either and probably knew then that he'd be off.

And in a more recent interview he said if he got a couple of his targets Glenn would probably be down the pecking order anyway. Or I think that was what he meant when he said there would be less or fewer opportuinities for Glenn.

dcr21

Feb 28, 2009
HOVE ACTUALLY
I think it shows who Gus values and who he doesn't by how he negotiates the contracts, he collared Elliot Bennett and Adam El Abd to long deals but was happy for Muzza's contract to run out.
If he really felt Muzza was an integral part of the group then he would have been signed up ages ago.

Absolutely agree.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I still don't believe that we're paying well above what other clubs have offered. Dougie and Steve Parish recently said we cannot afford Murray and we won't pay above our wage structure.

Not sure he'd be our top earner either, it took a good contract to get Ambrose to sign (ultimately his goals saved us from certain relegation) but if the figures quoted are correct, he'd be up there I suppose.

Incidentally, after Bennett plenty of you rate him as your best player. Surely you'd agree that a replacement would cost a fair whack unless you took a gamble on a foreign import?

Maybe a replacement would cost but the money is there for the right player I have no doubt, would appear that Gus didn't see Murray as that player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here