Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Whoever he joins he's burnt his bridges with the fans by his willingness to join Palace.

Disagree, if he does choose to sign up here I will be chuffed not fussed if he went looking for a better deal (much the same as Calderon). He owes it to himself to get the best deal possible for him, if Palace want to pay him a too much money that is their problem and his gain

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did you feel that way about Calde?

I would agree about one really good season. Always felt he was ok at first, but then the hernia injury and generally poor attitude kicked in, but based on last season he undoubtedly be a big loss.
Funnily enough, no I don't. I think this is because Calde had only really played a handful of games for us when that Southampton offer came along. Murray on the other hand, cost £300k, and he's been OK but not pulled up any trees until this season, just as his contract is about to expire. I fully accept that he's only doing what he can to obtain the best deal for him and his family. I just have a tough job believing that we're going to offer significantly less than most of the clubs being mentioned, yet none of them paid £300k for him, or put up with two years of distinct averageness, sulks or personal problems that affected his play on the pitch, so I think he owes us a bit.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think he means Murray would be more useful to Southampton than to Palace because he'll get much better service... Their aerial threat would be ridiculously good if they got Murray

They have better than Muzza already TBH...

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
glen had his best season for us and turned my viewof him as a footballer and a person. now this. palace for f*** sake fans will never forgive him DONT DO IT?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
People say if Glenn were to re-sign for us they wouldn't support him.
Am I missing something here? Has he actually said he wants to join Palace? Have we got any PROOF at all?

Some people need to get a bloody grip.

Note: I haven't read ALL 39 pages of this tosh so i'm waiting to be proved wrong!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This whole wages isssue makes me laugh. Poyet has offered Murray what he thinks he is worth to him. If someone else wants to offer more, then good luck to them. That does not mean that they have more money than us or that they pay better wages. All it means is they have a different valueation of an individual player, thats all.....Rest assured everyone, we have got the money and will pay what we see fit, for a players services, weather that be 6k a week or 15k a week....Some people on here make me laugh when they go on about money, half the championship sides are bust and in debt. Take it all you wages doom merchants have seen that sold out stadium just off the A27 and have heard of Tony Bloom.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Disagree, if he does choose to sign up here I will be chuffed not fussed if he went looking for a better deal (much the same as Calderon). He owes it to himself to get the best deal possible for him, if Palace want to pay him a too much money that is their problem and his gain

I think the difference between Calderon and Murray is that IT'S PALACE, our bitter rivals.

I can get my head around players not giving a f*** about the club and only caring about the pay cheque, but I don't think I can feel great about a player willing to ditch us at a truly great point in our history for arch rivals Palace, who are at a relatively low point in theirs.

With Calde we still had another season at Withdean and promotion was by no means certain. With Bennett it was a bloody good offer by a club right in the mix for a Prem place. However you dice this up, it's a sideways move for Murray, but he can't see that because his agent is hell-bent on securing a massive signing on fee for the player and huge commission for himself.

Any fan who cares about the Albion should be pissed off about this sorry saga. And the fact his agent is dragging it out is making it worse for the player. Pretty soon Palace fans themselves will worry they're paying over the odds for the guy. If he REALLY wanted to play for Palace the deal would have been concluded by now.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I'd like to think you spoke for me, but if he's in an Albion shirt next season, I won't be able to think of him in any other way than the way I thought of Micky Adams when he re-joined the club - only here because he couldn't get a better deal anywhere else, and ready to jump ship at the first opportunity.

And whilst he's been reasonably good for us, he's only had one absolutely top class season in his time here and the suspicion will always be that this coincided with the end of his contract. It's got to the stage where I think I'd rather have a different player as good as Murray was this season leading the line, but I worry that we won't find that player.

Agree with this although surely Gus will have a few options that match the wage and signing on fee being offered to Murray.

Someone on here said we support the laundry!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Am I missing something here? Has he actually said he wants to join Palace? Have we got any PROOF at all?

Note: I haven't read ALL 39 pages of this tosh so i'm waiting to be proved wrong!

Spot on, and I'd welcome him back, as I did Calde, anyway...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's got to the stage where I think I'd rather have a different player as good as Murray was this season leading the line, but I worry that we won't find that player.

However exciting our prospects we have no track record of contending in the Championship, and until we have a few seasons of Championship football with attendant TV money and merchandising sales in the coffers we'll be mid-table payers at best.

At this point you have to trust the manager. Gus has to be our Ian Holloway. Blackpool got promoted with Ormerod and DJ Campbell scoring only 12 and 11 league goals respectively. The master stroke was Charlie Adam who got goals from midfield. It looked all over before the start of the season when they sold their star play Shaun Barker to Derby for £1m but, crucially, they spent wisely and the rest is history.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

At last somebody talking sense.

If he had not been offered a new deal would we care who he signed for,no we wouldn't.
As he has been offered a new deal we expect him to sign straight away without looking
at other options.

As for talking to palace,while it would not got down too well with the fans,yes he may know
of our hatered towards them but to my knowledge we have never played them during his time
at the Albion so has never experienced what it really means to the fans.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just a thought, but if he is asking for xxxxxk. a week, and we re-sign him on those terms, the fans will expect a xxxxxk. a week striker. If he doesn't produce, the fans might turn on him, and he might then go into the sulky moan-up mode we know ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're a professional footballer living in Brighton and you don't know about the Albion / Palace rivalry then somebody needs to have a word with him now because there's a real chance he and his partner could get themselves into a spot of bother.

There's enough anecdotal evidence in the news to suggest Gus wants him to stay but he's already been to Selhurst. There's been 39 pages already and almost 800 posts - if there's nothing in this someone needs to make a statement, for his sake.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Murray stays and continues this past season's form and we push for promotion/play offs on the back of his 25+ goals, this will all be forgotten.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Muzza a class act - hold up play and intelligent distribution perfect for Gustavo football with decent goal scoring record throughout his time with us and a fantastic defender at free kicks and corners - he would be hard to replace, a 25 goal poacher wouldn't do all Glenn does for us. I would be very disappointed to lose him, especially to Palace, but trust Gus to find a replacement if necessary and respect need to stick to sensible wage structure.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
If Murray stays and continues this past season's form and we push for promotion/play offs on the back of his 25+ goals, this will all be forgotten.

No - he is negotiating a contract with our deadliest rivals. Just doing this shows his lack of respect for The Albion and its fans.

Is he there yet? There is no way back for someone who is just playing football for the money. I don't have a problem with someone just playing for the money providing they are not playing for us. If there is no respect for the club and its staff and the fans, its time for Glen to move on.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
If you're a professional footballer living in Brighton and you don't know about the Albion / Palace rivalry then somebody needs to have a word with him now because there's a real chance he and his partner could get themselves into a spot of bother.

There's enough anecdotal evidence in the news to suggest Gus wants him to stay but he's already been to Selhurst. There's been 39 pages already and almost 800 posts - if there's nothing in this someone needs to make a statement, for his sake.

He's already crossed the line of no return for visiting the vermin for talks. Silly boy, don't think he really understands what he's gone and done.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think we're all resigned to losing Murray over the summer to someone else. But to Palace? Wars have started for less!!!!!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I hope Murray never surfs this website.

If he was thinking of re-signing, surely he would be think again after seeing some with premature hatred here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here