Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Something Murray (or anyone else mulling over a move to Palace) should consider is that it is distinctly possible Freedman will be out of a job by Christmas. In a way that would be sad, he is a genuine club hero, and Palace through and through. But he was a big gamble as an unproven manager, and if it isn't working by November, he'll be under severe pressure.

Absolutely no chance Dougie will be sacked anytime soon. Our fans wanted Burley sacked but never actually spoke up about, we supported him all the way but it didn't work out.

Dougie, as you said is a CPFC Legend, even more so for getting his 100th goal against you. Our board already said they wouldn't of sacked Dougie had we been relegated.

We're rebuilding after 2 horrendous seasons, next season I think will be a vast improvement as there is no pressure on us to succeed.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Absolutely no chance Dougie will be sacked anytime soon. Our fans wanted Burley sacked but never actually spoke up about, we supported him all the way but it didn't work out.

Dougie, as you said is a CPFC Legend, even more so for getting his 100th goal against you. Our board already said they wouldn't of sacked Dougie had we been relegated.

We're rebuilding after 2 horrendous seasons, next season I think will be a vast improvement as there is no pressure on us to succeed.

Spend a load wages wise on a new forward and that brings pressure to succeed

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing

Bit naive with that point of view. I'm sure you and the rest of the Nigel's will be baying for his blood if your struggling in the bottom four by christmas.
Even more so if he splashes loads of the money your 'mega rich' owners have.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Well the Murray saga continues..... Is there a message getting across between the agent and these clubs that may be they are asking for too much?
Because if the price was right, he would have gone by now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
spoke to a mate who works for another south east club and he says Murrays agent is asking for a big signing on fee and palace have said no to it . all other terms and medical sorted . is he good enough to be able to command a signing on fee .

This sounds fairly plausible.

In terms of salary, I bet the deals on the table from us and Palace arn't poles apart. However, as he's going on a Bosman, Murray and his agent will be banking on scooping a maHOOSIVE juicy lump sum in the form of a signing on fee. Would not be surpised at all if this proves to be the stumbling block.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well the Murray saga continues..... Is there a message getting across between the agent and these clubs that may be they are asking for too much?
Because if the price was right, he would have gone by now.

No he wouldn't. He is under contract until 1st July.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The Star :blush: are reporting that Forest are after him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whoever he joins he's burnt his bridges with the fans by his willingness to join Palace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whoever he joins he's burnt his bridges with the fans by his willingness to join Palace.

I believe you are right, he has been considered moody, lazy, indifferent to the fans and got unjustified stick for most of the time that he's been here. Recently even his detractors have had to reign it in as he has been quite frankly, along with Bennett, our most valuable player. But I fear there is no way back from this, he will be abused by a vociferous minority if he loses form and shaking off the bad feeling because of his perceived willingness to join Palace will prove a big hurdle for a player who is not renowned for wanting to get the fans on his side.

Given Gus' very laid back public attitude about this I think we have seen the last of Glenn Murray in an Albion shirt. It's a shame but he has worked his socks off for this final pay day and it's hard to begrudge it, just hope it's not Palace who offer the best deal to him.

This is true - there'll be alienation after this, and certainly an extra wish for them to do badly in the league and us to give the finger from a greater height if he does join the filth.

And that's regardless of all the logic surrounding "wanting to make more money, security, better himself careerwise" or whatever excuses people can imagine.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
OK understood. But if something was agreed would we have heard by now?

He could have signed a pre-contract, they wouldn't announce anything if it was only a verbal agreement I don't think.
EDIT: I think he can only sign a pre-contract from the 1st of June.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Hasn't with me. If he comes back, I'll support him as I do any player who plays for the Albion.

As per my earlier post, you can't blame anyone for wanting to move for more money. Of course its disappointing he would move to a lesser club in terms of ambition and likelihood to succeed, but if I was in his position I wouldalso explore all options.

Of course I hope he returns and continues last season's form.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would be glad to have him back but as I said earlier in the thread a hell of a lot of people won't. Whatever the righst or wrongs of his and the fans attitude speaking to Palace would not have been a good idea even if we weren't in the same division. Thinking about it, seeing as he's never been relegated before joining Palace would be the ideal opportunity to sample that. Maybe they could throw in a quick administration as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hasn't with me. If he comes back, I'll support him as I do any player who plays for the Albion.

As per my earlier post, you can't blame anyone for wanting to move for more money. Of course its disappointing he would move to a lesser club in terms of ambition and likelihood to succeed, but if I was in his position I wouldalso explore all options.

I'd like to think you spoke for me, but if he's in an Albion shirt next season, I won't be able to think of him in any other way than the way I thought of Micky Adams when he re-joined the club - only here because he couldn't get a better deal anywhere else, and ready to jump ship at the first opportunity.

And whilst he's been reasonably good for us, he's only had one absolutely top class season in his time here and the suspicion will always be that this coincided with the end of his contract. It's got to the stage where I think I'd rather have a different player as good as Murray was this season leading the line, but I worry that we won't find that player.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

This.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd like to think you spoke for me, but if he's in an Albion shirt next season, I won't be able to think of him in any other way than the way I thought of Micky Adams when he re-joined the club - only here because he couldn't get a better deal anywhere else, and ready to jump ship at the first opportunity.

And whilst he's been reasonably good for us, he's only had one absolutely top class season in his time here and the suspicion will always be that this coincided with the end of his contract. It's got to the stage where I think I'd rather have a different player as good as Murray was this season leading the line, but I worry that we won't find that player.

Did you feel that way about Calde?

I would agree about one really good season. Always felt he was ok at first, but then the hernia injury and generally poor attitude kicked in, but based on last season he undoubtedly be a big loss.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As per my earlier post, you can't blame anyone for wanting to move for more money.

i would agree to some extent. he's been offered more money by us, however he or his agent seem to have touted him around and going to the arch rival is a bit too much really.

...he's only had one absolutely top class season in his time here and the suspicion will always be that this coincided with the end of his contract.

and coincided with a great team, one where his 21yo unproven strike partner also netted 20 goals.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where are these supposed threats?

Just read some of the threads on here about the retribution they wish to seek when we play him, ridiculous!

Although I`m sure alot of it is just keyboard spouting and wont come to anything. Quite apart from the fact if anyone threw anything at him at the Amex theyd be banned for life.

Yes, I think it wont be a great move from a footballing point of view for Glenn but when fans say it would be a huge mistake for his career, its utter nonsense. If say for example, he was offered 10k a week, even over 2 yrs thats £1M and a 3 yr contract even better, who would turn that down at his age? Absolutely no-one on here, thats for sure!

Get real, I dont want him playing for palace as much as the next man, but people need to grow up, palace have given us players in the past that have helped us out, they didnt get lynched, its farcical.

A backward step to a permanently -relegation-threatened Championship club... you are the one that needs to get real... its not all about short-term money, and you, like me, don't even know the wage figures or differential... Brighton's potential FAR exceeds that of the scum for the foreseeable future... if Muzza can't see this, then he is a fool...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Maybe Glenn wants first team football and by going to Palace he is going to get that. Because he will be no more than back up here when we sign, Owen, Phillips, Earnshaw, Heskey and Sharp.....He will be nothing but a memory come Aug 6th and anyone who even posts threats of violence towards any player for whatever reason, should be banned from the club and have there season tickets revoked, bloody kids!!!...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here