Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I still don't understand why he's joining a team with a slim hope of promotion next term.

Nobody could begrudge him a move to Palace if they had better prospects than us, i.e. in/around play-offs a la Forest / Leeds. But they're one place off the bottom with f*** all money.

A move to Palace would be a sideways move at best which, indirectly, is an insult to the Albion. If your best players move on you want to see them playing at a higher level like Zamora.

I've got nothing against Murray. Life's too short to hold a personal grudge because he chooses to join Palace. I just don't think it's a very bright move and, if he continues to live in Brighton, it will be a very foolish move.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I still don't understand why he's joining a team with a slim hope of promotion next term.

Nobody could begrudge him a move to Palace if they had better prospects than us, i.e. in/around play-offs a la Forest / Leeds. But they're one place off the bottom with f*** all money.

A move to Palace would be a sideways move at best which, indirectly, is an insult to the Albion. If your best players move on you want to see them playing at a higher level like Zamora.

I've got nothing against Murray. Life's too short to hold a personal grudge because he chooses to join Palace. I just don't think it's a very bright move and, if he continues to live in Brighton, it will be a very foolish move.

All you need to know is that no matter how Palace do, he'll be earning (if we believe what we hear) £10k a week. The rest of it doesnt matter

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This has been dragging on a bit now, do you think Palace are now finding out what a pain in the arse he is when it comes to contracts?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Are Palace the only side his agent could get to offer him £10K a week?
2. Even if they were, wouldn't you rather take £8K from Leeds or Forest and have a chance of the big money if they get promoted?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
2. Even if they were, wouldn't you rather take £8K from Leeds or Forest and have a chance of the big money if they get promoted?

Yes and No

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Unless playing every week is key, in which case he may know that Leeds or Forest is a step too far for him to remain the main striker, and a system developed around you. Let's face it, he doesn't just slot straight in does he, and it's probably taken until Gus showed up, that we played a style to suit him. Just getting a chance off the bench here and there isn't the way Murray impresses IMHO. Look at last night, would Muzza off teh bench have been a better option than Earnshaw?

Money, starting place, and ironically, maybe he HAS now settled down here and DOESN'T want to move.

However, don't let all that careful, reasoned thinking fool you into believing I will hold back from giving him pelters when he trotts out in that gawdy Palace strip next season!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

As a professional footballer, surely you have to believe that you will improve any team you join, and perhaps as well as them offering the most, he also believes that he will be worth it and help turn them into promotion candidates.

Look at us at the end of last season, not much better prospects than Palace are now, but we confounded expectations and ran away with the league.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But how many goals did Palace's top scorer get this season - 10 or so? That suggests there's no service. And if Palace spunk £10K a week on Murray how much will they have left to spend on someone creative?

They took 9 points out of 69 away from home - worst in the division, and scored just 16 goals in the process - again, worst in the division. There's big pressure on Murray's shoulder to turn all of that around single-handedly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As a professional footballer, surely you have to believe that you will improve any team you join, and perhaps as well as them offering the most, he also believes that he will be worth it and help turn them into promotion candidates.

Two words. Scott. Parker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Two words. Scott. Parker.

I didn't say they would be right, just that they don't join a team thinking it's going to fail or struggle, they join a team thinking, whether it's because of the player themselves, or some other reason put to them during the negotiations (the new direction a club is taking, or new owners, or other new players) that this year will be different, better.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
All you need to know is that no matter how Palace do, he'll be earning (if we believe what we hear) £10k a week. The rest of it doesnt matter
Well, that'll be what's on his contract. But if he signs for three years lets say, there's a very very high chance that for at least a few months in that time he's not going to be getting paid.

I agree with pavillionaire on the other point. Wherever he goes the Murray family is not going to be struggling on the breadline, so going there is an admission of putting a couple of extra grand here or there over any ambition as a player. If that's what he wants to do then fine, he's within his rights to do that but I don't think it's something that ALL footballers or all people would choose which some seem to claim.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I agree with Silent Bob. Not everyone would choose to take home an extra 50k per annum (which is what an extra 2k per week would net him after deductions more or less) if they were happy in their current position and being offered something in the region of 350k to stay put. Especially if they were apparently the type that shuns the limelight and is not hugely comfortable in the company of strangers. There is either an element of exaggeration in the Glenn as described by those who purport to know him well or there are factors at play that we are unaware of. Regardless, I would prefer him to stay but if he doesn't then I'd prefer a swift resolution so we can assess our options.

35yearstop2divs

May 16, 2011
fairly intrested here reading through some of your articles on how pi## poor Palace are ! fair play to you for winning league 1 but a little bit of respect i feel is owed to YOUR big rival . Last year we had a joke appointment of a manager and struggled to recover from . But to right ANY team of in the championship is crazy as you will soon find out there isnt much diffrence between 90% of the sides. Next year will be diffrent for Palace we had one of the meanest defences towards the end and played to get results which effected goal scoring opps . Another myth is that we are skint ! we have four owners who are all inderpendintly wealthy which makes for a very stable future . To be fair you look to be in good shape but as you know Palace are Palace and still seen i would imagine in most neutrals eyes as superior . For how long who knows , but for Murray a lad from up north i doubt he sees brighton as this massive club that dwarfs palace in the dillusional way most on here do . I hope you stick around long enough this time for the rivalry to last for more than a brief season .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
35 years top 2 divs..............interesting name.

2 questions.

1) when will you be 36 years old
2) If you came second in Croydon's biggest Div competition, who won it?...... was his name Glenn?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
fairly intrested here reading through some of your articles on how pi## poor Palace are ! fair play to you for winning league 1 but a little bit of respect i feel is owed to YOUR big rival . Last year we had a joke appointment of a manager and struggled to recover from . But to right ANY team of in the championship is crazy as you will soon find out there isnt much diffrence between 90% of the sides. Next year will be diffrent for Palace we had one of the meanest defences towards the end and played to get results which effected goal scoring opps . Another myth is that we are skint ! we have four owners who are all inderpendintly wealthy which makes for a very stable future . To be fair you look to be in good shape but as you know Palace are Palace and still seen i would imagine in most neutrals eyes as superior . For how long who knows , but for Murray a lad from up north i doubt he sees brighton as this massive club that dwarfs palace in the dillusional way most on here do . I hope you stick around long enough this time for the rivalry to last for more than a brief season .
You can imagine anything you like, the idea that Glenn Murray was growing up in Cumbria dreaming of playing for a big club like Palace shows that you have a very vivid imagination. :lol:

We'll have a top class ground and bigger crowds next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports