Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If he joins the enemy he's dead to me. My kids have got his picture on their wall ffs - if he played for
anyone but them, then fair enough, but not them - end of
Sure he might be dead to you, you don't need to send him a christmas card, but IF palace were to offer him £150k more than anyone else, it would be pretty difficult for him to turn it down. You have kids, imagine trying to explain it to your wife:
'honey, I've been offered an extra £150k to play up the rpad, but the fans wouldn't like it'
'we could use that money for our future, put the kids through good schools, get a pension - what if you get a career ending injury in a year, will the Brighton fans support us for the next 50 years? You're going, that's all there is to it'.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'd be massively disappointed for Murray to leave us, as I'm sure he will, as he's a fantastic player, if not a little enigmatic as he goes about his business.

Where he goes is neither here nor there for me. He's doing a job, trying to support his young family, and wants to try and secure their collective future. If he is settled where he is living, doesn't want to move home, and another local employer offers him a far more lucrative package he'd be a fool not to take it, wouldn't he? I know I bloody well would!

If he was Albion through and through - another Kerry Mayo or similar - then perhaps Palace would not be considered. But he's not - he's had several employers (or 'football clubs' as we call them) - and Palace would just be another one.

If he goes, when he goes, wherever he goes, I'll wish him well - he's done pretty well for us.

Amidst all the ridiculous, idiotic, uninformed, ignorant and childish comments on here about Glenn, this is a beacon of realism and common sense.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has he got a family? thought it was just a girlfriend :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How can Palace even afford his wages anyway? Something is not right.

It's a simple calculation..... Glenns extra goals are worth at least 10 points, so they get him free, offer him massive wages they can't afford on borrowed money..... 6 months later, take a few weeks in adminstration and the 10 point hit Murrays goals provided..... then the slate is clean and Murray was completely free and points neutral....

You don't know much about football do you? They've been using this system for years :lol:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sure he might be dead to you, you don't need to send him a christmas card, but IF palace were to offer him £150k more than anyone else, it would be pretty difficult for him to turn it down. You have kids, imagine trying to explain it to your wife:
'honey, I've been offered an extra £150k to play up the rpad, but the fans wouldn't like it'
'we could use that money for our future, put the kids through good schools, get a pension - what if you get a career ending injury in a year, will the Brighton fans support us for the next 50 years? You're going, that's all there is to it'.

but its not just another job is it? What other job makes people sing your name with happiness?
I'm sorry there are 92 teams in the league, I don't mind if he plays for 91 of them - I really don't think
I'm being unreasonable

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
but its not just another job is it? What other job makes people sing your name with happiness?
At the end of the day (I'm practising for a tv appearance) he's going to get paid good money for the next 6 years, and he needs to make enough to pay for his family for the next 50 years, so to his family it is just another job.
I'm sorry there are 92 teams in the league, I don't mind if he plays for 91 of them - I really don't think
I'm being unreasonable
You're a football fan and you have every right to be unreasonable. It's practically your duty :)
But realistically, there aren't 91 clubs that are willing to pay him more than Brighton, there may be a few - and how many of them are within commuting distance from his current home? That probably takes it down to 1 or 2. If you think he should move home or give up maybe £150k a year, just because we hate palace, yes I think that is unreasonable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that this thread is finally running out of steam, 30 pages tops

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Bozza is right.... at the end of the day I will be dissapointed but theres not much I can say..... with such a short career available for players they have to play for the money.... if they are outside the premiership.

Hope he doesn't go but good luck to him if he does. I wish it wasn't Palace though...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
these are from the Palace sources who seem reliable and broke the news about Murray at Palace training ground.... 2nd looks like a personal aquaintance, 1st is definately a credible sourse as all their fans go on about this guy (DaveP) as being "in the know"

this was just written on Palace BBS by Dave P

"Palace are still Glenn's preferred choice apparently and is just sorting out a few things before making his final decision.

Palace are still favourites for his signature and are currently in pole position barring any last minute changes."

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217851&page=32

2nd quote from what looks like an aquaintance

"He doesn't live directly in Brighton - the new house is located in Preston Park (most palace will know this as the station is a stone's throw from the hellhole that is Withdean).

Although not located smack in the centre, you've still got to live there, got out in the evening, do your normal day to day running around. The problem is do you really want to be looking over your shoulder in case some nutjob wants a pop at you over this - that's the real dilemma, it's the 'what-if' scenario.

I remember when Glenn got red carded right at the end of the 09-10 season - we were due to meet up with him at My Hotel bar in Brighton; he didn't show up as he got so much flak from his own fans beacuse of that incident, he just didn't want/need/deserve the hassle he might have encountered on that night...and that was from his own fans!! Imagine that scenario intensivised about a million percent as a palace player. That's his only worry here.

That's not to say its not happening anyhow - I haven't heard any more just yet, hoping to during the course of the day.

Keep ya'll posted."

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217851&page=31

Last edited:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Has he got a family? thought it was just a girlfriend :shrug:

Pretty sure he has a kid.

I'd like us to keep him, of course I would but is it the end of the world? No.

No player is bigger than the club. We will get somebody else in, the world was going to end when we let go of Forster and look how that panned out. There are some very good strikers out there who would want less wages than Murray. We move on and find a new striker. That's life.

Oh and to the people having a go at him for moving to P*lace, grow up. If you were a pro player and you were at Bristol Rovers who had just been promoted to the Championship and you were out of contract, would you turn down double money at Bristol City. Brighton V Palace means NOTHING to Glenn.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
You and the Mrs mutually agree to split up, you would have like for her to stay, but understand her reasons for leaving.
You fully appreciate that she will eventually start dating and meet somebody else but feel aggrieved that she wishes to take up with your nemesis a man she knows you hate.
As such you feel hurt, betrayed and now angry as it also clouds the happy times you had together and questions her commitment to you during the length of that relationship. She could have choosen any man, but why him.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
He's been offered more money from another club which ultimately he, as anyone else, would take. I'm sure the rivalry between the two teams are the least of his worries.

If he leaves, I trust Gus to bring in a suitable replacement if not someone better. Yes he has been excellent this season but it's not as if he is a proven Championship goalscorer. Don't get me wrong, I love Glen, but that's football.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If he leaves, I trust Gus to bring in a suitable replacement if not someone better.

Just out of interest, how much do you think this new striker would cost?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If he goes then good luck to him. He will get abused on his first trip to the Amex but this will be banter and we will forgive him and move on.

..for the most part, but there will be some that won't forgive, lets just hope they are locked away in the infirmary

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If he leaves, I trust Gus to bring in a suitable replacement if not someone better. Yes he has been excellent this season but it's not as if he is a proven Championship goalscorer. Don't get me wrong, I love Glen, but that's football.

At the risk of being harranged, Gus has got us playing incredible football, we all love him and he did unearth a couple of Gems with potential in KLL an Noone for instance...... but last season Sandaza was also [allegedly] the attacking answer, Holroyd, Batti, Baz, Poke were all failed experiments...... so he isn't guaranteed the midas touch in the transfer market. He is human and can make mistakes......

That said I think he must have something good in his own mind to replace Murray, so lets hope they are as successful in the championship as Murray has been in L1? only time will tell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here