Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I stand corrected...it was at the end of the game. However he was being roundly applauded by the fans and HE chose to ignore them and merely shake the Brentford goalkeepers hand. It was a deliberate snub to the overwhelming majority of fans.

deliberate snub? He has been getting abuse of a section of the crowd beforehand. Can't believe some are still upset about this

This is what saddens me about so many albion fans on NSC, total lack of recall about facts that don't fit into their prejudices. It was only a couple of seasons ago that BHA, struggling to avoid the drop into Divn 2, sought and obtained a loan from supposedly their bitterest rivals of old of a forward who at the time displayed great promise. What Andrew has or has not achieved since is irrelevant, the FACT is his goals kept your club in Div 1.

If you had been relegated all this ballyhoo about next season would have been far less likely, I doubt whether Poyet would have wanted to take the job on.

Palace swopped a star forward, Neil Smillie, for a defender of no consequence (Williams, was it?) in the early 80's. Neil went on to be a member of your "Glory Glory" FA-Cup final 4-0 losing squad. Our side of the bargain disappeared without trace. But we're not beefing on about it.

All very well - but we don't CARE about those comparisons, we only give a monkeys about affairs that effect us.
You do understand that don't you?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Guys, im not here to have arguments, cause trouble, or argue with anyone, just to state some things about Glenn Murray possibly joining Palace.

The truth is Glenn has had a medical with Palace and been offered a good deal, a deal in which any other time would have been signed by Glenn there and then which i believe Glenn is very happy with, but he has asked for time to think it over, as already mentioned, a lot to do with it is the backlash he may get by Brighton fans for living in the area. As a player, Glenn will get through two 90 minute matches of abuse, but what he wouldn't want is constant trouble at his home, and who can blame him.

My point here though is that, what has football come too if a player has to worry about his property and belongings being vandalised simply because of the football club he plays for to earn his living? It is truly quite sickening for a player to have put that consideration into thinking over a move.

Lets get something straight here, in recent years the Palace legend that he is, Steve Coppell, was your manager, and he didnt get one bit of abuse from anyone at Palace about him doing that, Calvin Andrew joined you on loan, and again there was no problem with Palace fans with this, so i don't understand why so many Brighton supporters want to take things to a possible violent level if players leave you to play for Palace.

These players are playing football to earn a living, thats all, they should be allowed to sign and play for who they like and not have to worry about mindless yobs ruining their life because of the consequences.

A sensible post from an Eagle, whatever next :)

This isn't about violence to a player, this is about someone who has scored 22 Goals going to a rival in the same division. Glenn Murray is our best player in my opinion having watched him play about 20 matches this season, and to lose him to Palace will be a severe kick in the privates. I accept that he is injury prone and that he is not proven at Championship level, but that doesn't water down the feeling of resentment (should it happen).

If Palace had just missed out on the playoffs, you could argue that he's moving to improve his chances of getting to the Prem, but I'd say Palace have about the same chance as Brighton of doing that next season (ie, very unlikely), so if he moves, it will be just about the money, which is fair enough, I'd probably move jobs to get more money, but don't then moan about getting slaughtered from the stands for moving to a bitter rival. I don't accept the statement about violence to him or his property, of course there are always the odd nutters who you cannot predict, but don't expect Brighton fans to have a nice chat with him if they see him in the street.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there has always been a love/hate relationship with Murray...I cant remember a month going by without a "Murray unhappy" " murray looks to go" " murray staying" since he has been here...maybe we should just accept that he was never going to be Zamora and move on.

So what if he goes to Palace...we have had plenty of players go up the road.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You forgot to mention the chants from (a small section) of the fans about his marriage during the game though.

All players (unfortunately) will get abuse/criticism during their careers. Not many react like Glen Murray did. Wendy Wilkins and Brian Horton just to name a couple suffered continued abuse during their football careers......both of whom gave much better quality and service to the Albion.

However going back to Glen Murray......I would like him to stay, but even if he did sign for Brighton/Crystal Palace/Millwall/ Southampton etc etc...it will still be unknown if at the beginning of his contract he is really playing for the team....or for Glen Murray United. Hopefully, Gus really has changed his attitude.

His ability has never been in doubt as far as I am concerned.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd be massively disappointed for Murray to leave us, as I'm sure he will, as he's a fantastic player, if not a little enigmatic as he goes about his business.

Where he goes is neither here nor there for me. He's doing a job, trying to support his young family, and wants to try and secure their collective future. If he is settled where he is living, doesn't want to move home, and another local employer offers him a far more lucrative package he'd be a fool not to take it, wouldn't he? I know I bloody well would!

If he was Albion through and through - another Kerry Mayo or similar - then perhaps Palace would not be considered. But he's not - he's had several employers (or 'football clubs' as we call them) - and Palace would just be another one.

If he goes, when he goes, wherever he goes, I'll wish him well - he's done pretty well for us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All players (unfortunately) will get abuse/criticism during their careers. Not many react like Glen Murray did. Wendy Wilkins and Brian Horton just to name a couple suffered continued abuse during their football careers......both of whom gave much better quality and service to the Albion.

However going back to Glen Murray......I would like him to stay, but even if he did sign for Brighton/Crystal Palace/Millwall/ Southampton etc etc...it will still be unknown if at the beginning of his contract he is really playing for the team....or for Glen Murray United. Hopefully, Gus really has changed his attitude.

His ability has never been in doubt as far as I am concerned.

I agree about his ability.

As for the criticism, there is a difference between calling somone useless and chanting about the breakup of his marriage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd be massively disappointed for Murray to leave us, as I'm sure he will, as he's a fantastic player, if not a little enigmatic as he goes about his business.

Where he goes is neither here nor there for me. He's doing a job, trying to support his young family, and wants to try and secure their collective future. If he likes where he is living, doesn't want to move, and another local employer offers him a far more lucrative package he'd be a fool not to take it, wouldn't he? I know I bloody well would!

If he was Albion through and through - another Kerry Mayo or similar - then perhaps Palace would not be considered. But he's not - he's had several employers (or 'football clubs' as we call them) - and Palace would just be another one.

If he goes, when he goes, wherever he goes, I'll wish him well - he's done pretty well for us.

This cubed

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
Dont think he will leave, i have done this loads of time with my employer, found another job with higher wages, not really wanted to leave, got offered more money and stayed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dont think he will leave, i have done this loads of time with my employer, found another job with higher wages, not really wanted to leave, got offered more money and stayed.

Depends how much higher the wages are. If Palace offer him an extra £100k a year, he would be a MUG not to take it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Where he goes is neither here nor there for me. He's doing a job, trying to support his young family, and wants to try and secure their collective future. If he is settled where he is living, doesn't want to move home, and another local employer offers him a far more lucrative package he'd be a fool not to take it, wouldn't he? I know I bloody well would!

Its all speculation and rumours anyway but.......

The problem is that being a footballer isn't a regular job. I can understand his reluctance to sign for Palace if he wants a quiet life in Brighton.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

After 500+ posts on this thread this sums it up.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
How can Palace even afford his wages anyway? Something is not right.

they'll be back in administration before too long if this is going to be their transfer policy

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If he joins the enemy he's dead to me. My kids have got his picture on their wall ffs - if he played for
anyone but them, then fair enough, but not them - end of

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
How can Palace even afford his wages anyway? Something is not right.

This! I know they have new management there, but it seems that they have not learned from the failure of their predecessors. It's a big gamble for them to start throwing this sort of money about when the rest of their squad lacks the depth to make major in-roads on the playoff spots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here