Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Have definitely NOT been in negotiations with Murray for four months.

And has been pointed out more than once, it'd have been pointless negotiating with a player looking for a significant wage rise before we were confirmed as a Championship club as he would not have entertained any offer made under those circumstances.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just what kind of world do you live in Richie?

You really do take the sows ear of ill informed drivel and try and turn it into a silk purse of a conspiracy theory. There has been no threats made to his property that I'm aware of and no track record of that kind of thing happening in the past.

This really seems to me to be a rearguard action by his advisors to try and make it look like it's been a hard decision for him - it clearly hasn't for the reasons you've stated earlier that 2k extra a week (or however much more than Millwall or Southampton he's been offered) is a stack of money that if someone is willing to pay him then then he will bite their hand off.

I am not saying his house is going to get smashed up. Of course it won't. Just saying he has come in for more than his deserved share of stick in recent seasons from our fans and that he probably does not want to have to walk round his adopted home town wondering whether he will get abuse.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So after all this we know that he might go to Palace or Millwall or Southampton or he might stay ... not really progressed much

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've just read that article, and it makes interesting reading.

GUS POYET insists Albion will not be panicked into striking a deal with Glenn Murray.

The Seagulls boss is facing competition from other clubs, including Crystal Palace and Millwall, but believes his out-of-contract goalgetter could stay with the League One champions.

Poyet said: “We are still negotiating with Glenn. Probably he has other offers but nothing is decided. All the time he has not signed for somebody else we have the option.

“It’s a great opportunity for him. Sometimes it looks better for us, then it changes, but we will wait until the last minute if we have to.”

I believe it is this attitude from the Manager that will convince Glenn that Brighton is his best option. Gus Poyet has been in the same sort of position as Glenn and it is this empathy and understanding of the latter's situation that will hold sway.

We only need to watch RichySeagull and TomNorthi's astounding video reviews to see what a class player Glenn has been this season. Whatever his motives for turning it on, I just thank God that he did. You're a star, Glenn and IF you do go - to whoever - I, for one, will be applauding you heartily on your return.

[Blimey - I'd have a huge, squiggly green line under that last sentence if I was writing this in a 'Word' document.]

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If Murray is honestly having to consider things like that then is it any wonder he isn't accepted less money to stay at our club?

Remember the abuse he got back at Brentford for having the cheek to want to keep his girlfriend happy?

Actually, he got abuse because he walked half of the length of the pitch towards the Brighton fans when he was substituted, and who were applauding him...................only to utterly ignore them........and shake the Brentford goalkeepers hand.

Still....as like many of your posts....full of distorted bollocks.

Are you a journalist by any chance.....?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Actually, he got abuse because he walked half of the length of the pitch towards the Brighton fans when he was substituted, and who were applauding him...................only to utterly ignore them........and shake the Brentford goalkeepers hand.

Swear he came on as a sub in that game

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

It was at the end of the game.

And he had been getting crap from people during.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I should add that as far as Calvin Andrew was concerned why would Palace be bothered about a reserve team player ? On his way to relegated Swindon isn't he ? Murray would be playing against us, something that Andrew wouldn't be.

This is what saddens me about so many albion fans on NSC, total lack of recall about facts that don't fit into their prejudices. It was only a couple of seasons ago that BHA, struggling to avoid the drop into Divn 2, sought and obtained a loan from supposedly their bitterest rivals of old of a forward who at the time displayed great promise. What Andrew has or has not achieved since is irrelevant, the FACT is his goals kept your club in Div 1.

If you had been relegated all this ballyhoo about next season would have been far less likely, I doubt whether Poyet would have wanted to take the job on.

Palace swopped a star forward, Neil Smillie, for a defender of no consequence (Williams, was it?) in the early 80's. Neil went on to be a member of your "Glory Glory" FA-Cup final 4-0 losing squad. Our side of the bargain disappeared without trace. But we're not beefing on about it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Guys, im not here to have arguments, cause trouble, or argue with anyone, just to state some things about Glenn Murray possibly joining Palace.

The truth is Glenn has had a medical with Palace and been offered a good deal, a deal in which any other time would have been signed by Glenn there and then which i believe Glenn is very happy with, but he has asked for time to think it over, as already mentioned, a lot to do with it is the backlash he may get by Brighton fans for living in the area. As a player, Glenn will get through two 90 minute matches of abuse, but what he wouldn't want is constant trouble at his home, and who can blame him.

My point here though is that, what has football come too if a player has to worry about his property and belongings being vandalised simply because of the football club he plays for to earn his living? It is truly quite sickening for a player to have put that consideration into thinking over a move.

Lets get something straight here, in recent years the Palace legend that he is, Steve Coppell, was your manager, and he didnt get one bit of abuse from anyone at Palace about him doing that, Calvin Andrew joined you on loan, and again there was no problem with Palace fans with this, so i don't understand why so many Brighton supporters want to take things to a possible violent level if players leave you to play for Palace.

These players are playing football to earn a living, thats all, they should be allowed to sign and play for who they like and not have to worry about mindless yobs ruining their life because of the consequences.

I can understand him being worried about signing for your team and still wanting to live in Brighton. I'd expect him to get comments from some supporters when he was out and about, I doubt he'd have any hassle at home though. I guess its up to him how much grief he can endure, but If I was in his position I'd move to London.

Sad really, but football does attract its fair amount of nutters.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Guys, im not here to have arguments, cause trouble, or argue with anyone, just to state some things about Glenn Murray possibly joining Palace.

The truth is Glenn has had a medical with Palace and been offered a good deal, a deal in which any other time would have been signed by Glenn there and then which i believe Glenn is very happy with, but he has asked for time to think it over, as already mentioned, a lot to do with it is the backlash he may get by Brighton fans for living in the area. As a player, Glenn will get through two 90 minute matches of abuse, but what he wouldn't want is constant trouble at his home, and who can blame him.

My point here though is that, what has football come too if a player has to worry about his property and belongings being vandalised simply because of the football club he plays for to earn his living? It is truly quite sickening for a player to have put that consideration into thinking over a move.

Lets get something straight here, in recent years the Palace legend that he is, Steve Coppell, was your manager, and he didnt get one bit of abuse from anyone at Palace about him doing that, Calvin Andrew joined you on loan, and again there was no problem with Palace fans with this, so i don't understand why so many Brighton supporters want to take things to a possible violent level if players leave you to play for Palace.

These players are playing football to earn a living, thats all, they should be allowed to sign and play for who they like and not have to worry about mindless yobs ruining their life because of the consequences.

Good post. I do think players should spare a thought for the fans who travel all over the country, spending huge amounts of cash cheering them on before they think about joining their arch rivals. However, you are spot on that any abuse should be limited to two lots of 90 minutes and that's it. To have to be concerned about your home life is rather sad.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I don't think this is a done deal yet by any means. The fact he is talking to other parties is his prerogative, no matter who they are.

However, the fact the Argus reports we are still in negotiations with him is very encouraging. The fact he has reportedly has a medical at Palce and still not signed due to the fact he wants to "think about it" means there is a serious doubt there. If it is all about money, what is there to think about?

I don't think it is to do with repercussions either. No self-respecting Albion fan is going to smash up his house or harm him in any way. I hope that the reason for his procrastination is that Murray, deep down still wants to be part of what Gus and Tony are trying to achieve here with our magnificent new set-up. Brighton is also a very attractive place to live and that counts for a lot.

No matter what anyone says, Murray is a great player and I hope he will be able to prove his Championship class with us and nobody else.

There is a game of brinkmanship going on here, but Bloom is an experienced poker player......

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Someone going to Murrays house pre-meditated and causing trouble, will get locked up.... and so they should.

That said Glenn will always have a risk and be wary if he chooses to go out in Brighton or towns in surrounding areas, as I'd put money on some pissed up lads going for him. I would never condone that myself but there are definitely elements that would do it.... I think his house is safe? But out and about? It won't go down well at all.

Not all fans are as sensible or reasoned as EagleDave or many of our fans on NSC, we've all seen the no neck nutters that turn up for local Derby games ... some idiot at some time will have a pop at him, I could definately see him getting beaten up, pissed up lads won't see reason, they will see a guy who signed for their arch enemy but who has the audacity to go out publicly in their area... and that cocktail mixed with booze, may not bode well? though hope I'm wrong

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Calvin Andrew joined you on loan,

This.

Calvin Andrew is my hero...absolute legend of a player who trying to score and keep us up, managed to headbut the goalpost so nearly knocking himself out...and he was a gent in the sponsors dinner that year. I would have no problem with him wearing the stripes again in the future

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It was at the end of the game.

And he had been getting crap from people during.

I stand corrected...it was at the end of the game. However he was being roundly applauded by the fans and HE chose to ignore them and merely shake the Brentford goalkeepers hand. It was a deliberate snub to the overwhelming majority of fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

You forgot to mention the chants from (a small section) of the fans about his marriage during the game though.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Someone going to Murrays house pre-meditated and causing trouble, will get locked up.... and so they should.

That said Glenn will never again be able to go out in Brighton or towns in surrounding areas, as I'd put money on some pissed up lads going for him. I would never condone that myself but there are definitely elements that would do it.... I think his house is safe? But out and about? It won't go down well at all not all fans are as sensible or reasoned as EagleDave... some idiot at some time will have a pop at him, I could definately see him getting beaten up, pissed up lads won't see reason, they will see a guy who signed for their arch enemy but who has the audacity to go out publicly in their area... and that cocktail mixed with booze, may not bode well? though hope I'm wrong

..........Or he could move house.

All this shit on the back of some truly f***ing dreadful journalism. It sums up the modern media in this country....utter shit

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Glenn should sign for Palace then celebrate with a pint in the Hikers. They would LOVE him in there!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was a deliberate snub to the overwhelming majority of fans.

How do you know that, perhaps he was wrapped up in his own thoughts at the time, and his marital difficulties took priority over a bunch of oversensitive twerps singing 'ditch the bitch' during the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here