Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He won't be thick enough or pig headed enough to think he can continue to live happily in Brighton if he signs for Palace, will he?

Disclaimer - Not being a stalker I have no idea if he lives in Brighton but am assuming that he does

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, and the South London Press is reporting that Millwall are showing a strong interest.

and that he may sign for Palace or Southampton or even that he may yet resign for Brighton. That is a real nothing article

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good reading and well put. But let me remind you, and counter your statements;
Fans will be fans, and regardless of cold hard facts and money - we'll always be looking at the player's representation of loyalty to the club and the shirt they pull on. There's no detracting from that regard however logically you put it.
Rooney will always be a see-you-next-tuesday in the eyes of Evertonians for heading for United - no matter what your statements above might try to ratify in logic.
Zamora will always be understandable, and more highly regarded by his love for Brighton.
Mullery lost respect from many quarters after going to manage palace.

Look, you can apply logic to football rivalry and argue that Rangers and Celtic or Tottenham and Arsenal should be mates!
No amount of scientific fact, nor reference to human bonding, or research on financial remunerations in professional fields will placate or excuse for a player negotiating personal terms with the enemy.
You may as well excuse French collaborators for working with the nazis, because it was the 'healthiest situation for them under the circumstances'.

For further comparative reference; Treason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another good post, NMH. You really should stick to talking about football.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Exactly. People on here are deluded if they think that sort of extra cash is not likely to turn a player's head.

Far be it for me to interrupt the journos' love in.

But whilst I fully understand the comment of 2k a week being a big deal - that represents the difference between what we're supposed to be willing to pay and what Palace are supposed to be willing to pay. It is not say the difference between what say Millwall or Southampton and Palace are willing to pay. That difference may be as (relatively) little as a couple of hundred a week.

There are ways and means to do things and if he's really using Palace publicly as a way to try and bag what may be an extra 200gbp a week then it does show a bit of a disregard for the sensitivities of the situation. However that's his and his agent's decision and so they should be aware of the fallout that may follow. At the end of the day we're talking about football here and all normal rules of logic go out of the window.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Far be it for me to interrupt the journos' love in.

But whilst I fully understand the comment of 2k a week being a big deal - that represents the difference between what we're supposed to be willing to pay and what Palace are supposed to be willing to pay. It is not say the difference between what say Millwall or Southampton and Palace are willing to pay. That difference may be as (relatively) little as a couple of hundred a week.

There are ways and means to do things and if he's really using Palace publicly as a way to try and bag what may be an extra 200gbp a week then it does show a bit of a disregard for the sensitivities of the situation. However that's his and his agent's decision and so they should be aware of the fallout that may follow. At the end of the day we're talking about football here and all normal rules of logic go out of the window.

Millwall's offer is a nowhere near Palace's. No idea about Southampton mind.

EagleDave

May 17, 2011
Guys, im not here to have arguments, cause trouble, or argue with anyone, just to state some things about Glenn Murray possibly joining Palace.

The truth is Glenn has had a medical with Palace and been offered a good deal, a deal in which any other time would have been signed by Glenn there and then which i believe Glenn is very happy with, but he has asked for time to think it over, as already mentioned, a lot to do with it is the backlash he may get by Brighton fans for living in the area. As a player, Glenn will get through two 90 minute matches of abuse, but what he wouldn't want is constant trouble at his home, and who can blame him.

My point here though is that, what has football come too if a player has to worry about his property and belongings being vandalised simply because of the football club he plays for to earn his living? It is truly quite sickening for a player to have put that consideration into thinking over a move.

Lets get something straight here, in recent years the Palace legend that he is, Steve Coppell, was your manager, and he didnt get one bit of abuse from anyone at Palace about him doing that, Calvin Andrew joined you on loan, and again there was no problem with Palace fans with this, so i don't understand why so many Brighton supporters want to take things to a possible violent level if players leave you to play for Palace.

These players are playing football to earn a living, thats all, they should be allowed to sign and play for who they like and not have to worry about mindless yobs ruining their life because of the consequences.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Guys, im not here to have arguments, cause trouble, or argue with anyone, just to state some things about Glenn Murray possibly joining Palace.

The truth is Glenn has had a medical with Palace and been offered a good deal, a deal in which any other time would have been signed by Glenn there and then which i believe Glenn is very happy with, but he has asked for time to think it over, as already mentioned, a lot to do with it is the backlash he may get by Brighton fans for living in the area. As a player, Glenn will get through two 90 minute matches of abuse, but what he wouldn't want is constant trouble at his home, and who can blame him.

My point here though is that, what has football come too if a player has to worry about his property and belongings being vandalised simply because of the football club he plays for to earn his living? It is truly quite sickening for a player to have put that consideration into thinking over a move.

Lets get something straight here, in recent years the Palace legend that he is, Steve Coppell, was your manager, and he didnt get one bit of abuse from anyone at Palace about him doing that, Calvin Andrew joined you on loan, and again there was no problem with Palace fans with this, so i don't understand why so many Brighton supporters want to take things to a possible violent level if players leave you to play for Palace.

These players are playing football to earn a living, thats all, they should be allowed to sign and play for who they like and not have to worry about mindless yobs ruining their life because of the consequences.

Possibly the most sensible thing a Palace fan has ever said.

If Murray is honestly having to consider things like that then is it any wonder he isn't accepted less money to stay at our club?

Remember the abuse he got back at Brentford for having the cheek to want to keep his girlfriend happy?

What goes around, comes around Brighton fans.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I don't think any normal people are advocating violence against him, and as for mindless yobs, well, every club has them, sadly. Will he get a ton of grief if he plays for Palace and continues to live in Brighton though? Yes, of course he will. But I doubt very much that will turn violent.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I think that if he really believes that his home life is under threat he's been listening to far too many Croydon residents. For a start how many Albion fans even know where he lives ? In any case whilst that sort of behaviour may seem the norm to you it isn't at this club. We'd be disappointed to see him go but nowhere near as upset as you Palarse fans would like to believe. As far as it goes we know he might get a bit more money (given your recent history, until it runs out), but let's face it, he'd be joining a team that is on a downward spiral with no sign of that improving. He'll also know that at Palace he'll be there instead of Vaughan, that won't help him if he isn't an immediate success.

I should add that as far as Calvin Andrew was concerned why would Palace be bothered about a reserve team player ? On his way to relegated Swindon isn't he ? Murray would be playing against us, something that Andrew wouldn't be.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I will HURL abuse at him next time I see him poncing round Brighton with his WAGGY bird if he signs for them.

That is all.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
This just highlights how tough a job clubs and chairmen have. In recent times we've had;

Zamora under contract to us, and we turn down a bid of £3m from a Premiership club (possibly Everton, maybe Middlesborough) as we want to concentrate on getting promotion. Just over a year later we have a year in then Div 1 and sell him for £1.5m. the then Board come under fire from some for not cashing in when we could have.

Hammond, contract running out and having been in negotiations for 4 months, shows no sign of putting pen to paper so he gets old before the transfer deadline rather than letting his contract run out and him leaving on a free. From some fans, the club then gets a load of stick.

Now we have Murray who we have kept rather than sell in the transfer window, we've got promoted but despite being in negotiations for 4 months or so, we havn't persuaded him to sign and he looks to be going elsewhere. I'm sure there will be some on here who will criticise the club for not paying what he wants, or not sorting a deal earlier.

Who'd want that kind of public pressure?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've just read that article, and it makes interesting reading.

GUS POYET insists Albion will not be panicked into striking a deal with Glenn Murray.

The Seagulls boss is facing competition from other clubs, including Crystal Palace and Millwall, but believes his out-of-contract goalgetter could stay with the League One champions.

Poyet said: “We are still negotiating with Glenn. Probably he has other offers but nothing is decided. All the time he has not signed for somebody else we have the option.

“It’s a great opportunity for him. Sometimes it looks better for us, then it changes, but we will wait until the last minute if we have to.”

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Now we have Murray who we have kept rather than sell in the transfer window, we've got promoted but despite being in negotiations for 4 months or so, we havn't persuaded him to sign and he looks to be going elsewhere. I'm sure there will be some on here who will criticise the club for not paying what he wants, or not sorting a deal earlier.

Who'd want that kind of public pressure?

Have definitely NOT been in negotiations with Murray for four months.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just lol at the idea of a Palace fan on a Brighton board discussing "possible violence" as if Palace v BHA is one big happy tea party. Of course he'll get grief if he goes to Palace, same as Ambrose would from you lot if he came to BHA. I somehow doubt it'd be on a scale that'd ruin his life however... Just one thing, have you considered the possibility that he doesn't really want to go to Palace but needs an excuse for buying a little time what with you seemingly bending over backwards to offer him the inflated wages he has asked for? Amazing really, another post admin club learning its lessons. It's like Pompey's Lawrence and Kitson deals isn't it.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

This. I thought REMF etc was the way forward to defuse this old bitterness, Rivalry yes, but driving a player out of his home?

is it really gonna be Glenn Murray = Ann de Vecchi?:annoyed:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Possibly the most sensible thing a Palace fan has ever said.

If Murray is honestly having to consider things like that then is it any wonder he isn't accepted less money to stay at our club?

Remember the abuse he got back at Brentford for having the cheek to want to keep his girlfriend happy?

What goes around, comes around Brighton fans.

Just what kind of world do you live in Richie?

You really do take the sows ear of ill informed drivel and try and turn it into a silk purse of a conspiracy theory. There has been no threats made to his property that I'm aware of and no track record of that kind of thing happening in the past.

This really seems to me to be a rearguard action by his advisors to try and make it look like it's been a hard decision for him - it clearly hasn't for the reasons you've stated earlier that 2k extra a week (or however much more than Millwall or Southampton he's been offered) is a stack of money that if someone is willing to pay him then then he will bite their hand off.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mum Murray: How are you liking it down in Brighton, Glenn?
Glenn: Oh it's not too bad, mum... we're using some new tungsten carbide drills for the preliminary coal-face scouring operations.
Mum: Oh that sounds nice, dear...
Dad: Tungsten carbide drills! What the bloody hell's tungsten carbide drills?
Glenn: It's something they use in coal-mining, father.
Dad: (mimicking) 'It's something they use in coal-mining, father'. You're all bloody fancy talk since you left Carlisle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have definitely NOT been in negotiations with Murray for four months.

I agree having asked him in January. I got the impression from Poyet that Murray needs motivating and that he had to get the 20 goal target before negotiations started, which is just my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here