Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Many utterly pathetic posts on here, Murray is doing what any of us would do, trying to get the best wage he can. It's just a pity that it's with Palace. Unlike say Sol Campbell (who left Spurs on a Bosman for Arsenal) I can't see Murray winning any honours. No point in slagging the guy off just because he can get more money elsewhere but it's a pity he could be going to Palace. If indeed he is speaking to Palace even if he doesn't join them he has lost a lot respect from Brighton fans.

As they say....this!

Remember this is Glenns best chance in his career to get the most money for his next contract, if we feel he is worth "so much" and another club want to pay more for his services, then so be it. Even if it is Palace! IF he does leave to go there or anywhere else, then I'll say thanks for the memories, but you won't have a place in our hearts anymore.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As they say....this!

Remember this is Glenns best chance in his career to get the most money for his next contract, if we feel he is worth "so much" and another club want to pay more for his services, then so be it. Even if it is Palace! IF he does leave to go there or anywhere else, then I'll say thanks for the memories, but you won't have a place in our hearts anymore.

It annoys me when some people go on about loyalty, I've said this before, it's a two way street. If a player loses form or gets injured just how much loyalty does the club he plays for show ? It's the same with managers, they do well, they get poached. They don't do as well as expected (let alone fail), they get sacked, ask Dean Wilkins.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It annoys me when some people go on about loyalty, I've said this before, it's a two way street. If a player loses form or gets injured just how much loyalty does the club he plays for show ? It's the same with managers, they do well, they get poached. They don't do as well as expected (let alone fail), they get sacked, ask Dean Wilkins.

Fair comment(s) Mr B, but I can't help thinking that getting a cuppla grand more every week elsewhere is somewhat short-termist. If Murray stayed here & proved himself at Championship level, he'd be in a better position to command a big(ger) money move if that's what he really wants. It strikes me that so many players these days want everything without looking at the bigger picture tbh, & agents just fan the flames for their own ill-gotten gains. Let's face it, Gus could've easily walked by now - but he realises that better opportunities will come if he takes his time to develop his skills & slowly-but-surely achieve success. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that good things come to those who wait (especially when they have a real talent), but I've seen far too many individuals in football who have decided to take the money: only to fail at their new club. Hey ho. :shrug:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We don't know what he is getting now and we don't know what Palace have offered (if anything at this stage). The fact is we know NO FACTS.

But have to say most of this thread is embarrassing. We have allowed this guys contract to reach its end because we wanted to know (a0 how well he would do this season and (b) where we would be financially in 2011/12. That was our choice - we could have committed earlier. He is now quite rightly looking around to make the most of his ability in what is a short earning career. He may want to move, he may want to stay and be using this to negotiate - so would you, so would I. He owes Brighton nothing at all.

If we hadn't let his contract reach its end and he was still on the books and a side came in offering say £3m for him - I'm prepared to be the club would sell him and many on here would be celebrating for us getting such a good deal. Not one of you would be bleating on about how disloyal the club was for getting the most they could for a player asset. But it is exactly the same thing.

Fans (some) are loyal. Players and those responsible for the commercials of the club are not. And why should they be.

I'd love Glenn to stay. We'll have a problem replacing him. But we need to run the club on a sound basis - so if a player does demand more than we can afford, we should - must - say no thanks and let him move on. That's the way we will survive and grow as a club, and not go the way of Palace, Leeds, Portsmouth et al.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Last edited:

We don't know what he is getting now and we don't know what Palace have offered (if anything at this stage). The fact is we know NO FACTS.

But have to say most of this thread is embarrassing. We have allowed this guys contract to reach its end because we wanted to know (a0 how well he would do this season and (b) where we would be financially in 2011/12. That was our choice - we could have committed earlier. He is now quite rightly looking around to make the most of his ability in what is a short earning career. He may want to move, he may want to stay and be using this to negotiate - so would you, so would I. He owes Brighton nothing at all.

If we hadn't let his contract reach its end and he was still on the books and a side came in offering say £3m for him - I'm prepared to be the club would sell him and many on here would be celebrating for us getting such a good deal. Not one of you would be bleating on about how disloyal the club was for getting the most they could for a player asset. But it is exactly the same thing.

Fans (some) are loyal. Players and those responsible for the commercials of the club are not. And why should they be.

I'd love Glenn to stay. We'll have a problem replacing him. But we need to run the club on a sound basis - so if a player does demand more than we can afford, we should - must - say no thanks and let him move on. That's the way we will survive and grow as a club, and not go the way of Palace, Leeds, Portsmouth et al.

Good reading and well put. But let me remind you, and counter your statements;
Fans will be fans, and regardless of cold hard facts and money - we'll always be looking at the player's representation of loyalty to the club and the shirt they pull on. There's no detracting from that regard however logically you put it.
Rooney will always be a see-you-next-tuesday in the eyes of Evertonians for heading for United - no matter what your statements above might try to ratify in logic.
Zamora will always be understandable, and more highly regarded by his love for Brighton.
Mullery lost respect from many quarters after going to manage palace.

Look, you can apply logic to football rivalry and argue that Rangers and Celtic or Tottenham and Arsenal should be mates!
No amount of scientific fact, nor reference to human bonding, or research on financial remunerations in professional fields will placate or excuse for a player negotiating personal terms with the enemy.
You may as well excuse French collaborators for working with the nazis, because it was the 'healthiest situation for them under the circumstances'.

For further comparative reference; Treason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Palace fans reading this must be wetting themselves with laughter.
Not really. We have (at most) two or three threads on the fact that our best striker *might* move to our arch rivals. Compared to our embarrassing obsession with the SCC over the season, this is positively restrained.

Do you suggest not talking about it at all then?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
to be honest, I have no problem with Murray going to palace or anyone else. We have had plenty of players who have played fro both clubs.

If they offer him better terms then he would be mad not to go there.

onward and upward!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Palace fans reading this must be wetting themselves with laughter.

Their thread is 29 pages long so far. A lot of them seem dubious that signing a League One striker is a good thing, and the South London Press is reporting that Millwall are showing a strong interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here