Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Honestly, genuine question (and yes i have been to a lot of games this season), just HOW good is Glenn Murray? I'm not doubting he is a talented player but at the same time I feel he has been spoilt rotten this season with the service from Benno etc so much so that even Barnes (not knocking him at all!) in his first full season as a pro has bagged TWENTY goals. Murray is a good player but I think it would be fair to say he has been helped to look so good because of the way we play and that is not something he will get at Palace or most other clubs in fact who play hoofball or whatever.
Losing him would be a loss yes, but if we could replace him with i don't know, for example Lambert then we would be fine while Murray gets berated by fans of some other club for his languid style and not scoring like he did for us.

He's scored a lot of tap-ins, and has missed a lot of headers that he probably should have done better with. The service has been outstanding.

However, he's always been the sort of player to score 'easy' goals. What we've seen this year (Tranmere at home and away, Plymouth (?) at home) is that he can score a more spectacular one if he wants to as well. Dont forget how many pens/free kicks he's won us as well. We've seen him win almost every header ever in both boxes and part of the reason why I think people have been so quick to get on Chris Wood's back is because he is so easily comparable to Glenn who I cant remember having a bad game all season, even in the games he didnt score.

He's my favourite player, I'd hate it and I'd hate him if he went to Palace. Just mildly miffed for the time being though. All this talk about swapping Lambert and Murray kind of makes sense in footballing terms, would be annoying financially though. Cant really see that one happening though.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
kevtherev

I do think Murray is a better footballer than Lambert. Murray is good at Lambert's main strengths, but also is a natural footballer and (unlike his shy awkward off-pitch personality) a great team player.

Poyet is used to the Calderon and Bennett 'crises', and is lucky to find this out in mid-May.
He wouldn't have been waiting on the end of the phone for Murray to call him and say he's staying,
and would many months now been planning Championship level acquisitions including strikers.

Remember, unlike most others in the Champ, we will have no bank interest to pay, and far greater hospitality income (2,600 1901 members and vast restaurants; compared to a few crumbling exec boxes in Croydon).

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Piers_Morgan.jpg

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Unproven at Champ level,how long b4 he gets homesick?? We can get better anyways! I think he's wierd anyhow...kinda rfeminds me of a potential serial killer! f*** it..let him go..Gus knows best!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Christ, Croydon FC have come down in their expectations:

Their fans getting an erection on a 27 year old League One striker joining them.

Not exactly the new Wright and Bright, Chris Armstrong.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
SeagullinExile;4113408[B said:
]Unproven at Champ level,how long b4 he gets homesick??[/B] We can get better anyways! I think he's wierd anyhow...kinda rfeminds me of a potential serial killer! f*** it..let him go..Gus knows best!

The same as almost all of your squad then really isn't it? Yet plenty of you think you can get a double promotion.

If we agreed to sign Bennett, we'd probably hear the same argument. Murray would cost 1 million if he wasn't out of contract, a good replacement wont come cheap.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apart from the money Muzza probably knows he will only play in the Championship for one season , signing for Palace solves the problem.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Well, it was always going to be a bit rubbish that we'll never play Scott McGleish again, so there is a plus side to this.

Altogether now: GLEEEEENN MURRAY IS A WANKER, IS A WANKER

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The same as almost all of your squad then really isn't it? Yet plenty of you think you can get a double promotion.

If we agreed to sign Bennett, we'd probably hear the same argument. Murray would cost 1 million if he wasn't out of contract, a good replacement wont come cheap.
If Bennett went to palace I'd be gutted but for some reason I don't feel the same about Murray. I don't doubt that he IS a great player but I can also see the merit it shouting abuse at him whilst we thump you (twice) next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports