Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Murray is a gifted player, no doubt about it. And quite possibly player of the season, his goals, his assists and his all round team work has been very impressive. The fact he has been so good in the last year of his contract has to be questioned and is a fair point for discussion. Is it the way we played? Is it down to Gus? Does Murray take two years to show his best? Do all his injury problems dry up in the last year of a contract?.Why has he never scored 20 goals in any season before now? or is it that he knows at his age, this was the most important year of his life as a player, as his next contract will surely be the best he will ever get and ever likely to get.....Murray is a class act, no doubt about that but he can also be a luxury player as well and im not sure that Gus wants him as much as some of the fans clearly do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Murray is a f***ing wanker, and he can f*** off

Always been petulant, always questioned his motivation.

To sideways move and not even to a northern club

Money grabbing prick

Hope the c nt gets a serious injury first game

Can be replaced but will cost a good 500k +

If Bennett now goes we are in a bit of trouble

Trust Gus though

What bollocks. Second highest scorer and probably second best player during the Withdean era.

I will be gutted if he leaves, but shit happens.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Murray is a gifted player, no doubt about it. And quite possibly player of the season, his goals, his assists and his all round team work has been very impressive. The fact he has been so good in the last year of his contract has to be questioned and is a fair point for discussion. Is it the way we played? Is it down to Gus? Does Murray take two years to show his best? Do all his injury problems dry up in the last year of a contract?.Why has he never scored 20 goals in any season before now? or is it that he knows at his age, this was the most important year of his life as a player, as his next contract will surely be the best he will ever get and ever likely to get.....Murray is a class act, no doubt about that but he can also be a luxury player as well and im not sure that Gus wants him as much as some of the fans clearly do.

I am fairly certain that Gus does not want him as much as some fans do. If he did, he would have offered him a Contract months ago.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Agreed.
If he does leave then he deserves every bit of abuse he'd get. However, to suddenly belittle his efforts as a Brighton player is completely wrong. He has been an outstanding player. I also think he'd do very well in the Champ. if he stayed.
But, he IS replaceable.

:thumbsup:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Money grabbing prick

Trust Gus though

What? Take a long hard look at yourself pal. He has not even gone and you talk shite like this. Hope he gets a serious injury in the first game.................oh f*** off.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Some good questions there, I will try and answer most of them.

1. He was injured in the previous two seasons, the Albion failed to diagnose a hernia and this affected his play. He was also suspended for quite a few games. Happy home life = happy work life = fewer red cards I suspect.
2. He has never scored 20 goals in a season before because he has never played 40+ games in a season. At 'Dale he scored 21 goals in 42 games, but it was spread over 20 month period.
3. Gus has certainly improved his game, his all round efforts have been immense this season, perhaps it is a combination of more experience, being fully fit and a different style of play.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
And a few of us have been saying he's not that essential for months. And Gus/Bloom clearly agree because if they thought that highly of him, they would've have signed him months ago.

perhaps murray wanted to wait until his contract ran out and see what elese his agent could drum up. he doesn't have to sign for us just because we put a contract under his nose.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Some good questions there, I will try and answer most of them.

1. He was injured in the previous two seasons, the Albion failed to diagnose a hernia and this affected his play. He was also suspended for quite a few games. Happy home life = happy work life = fewer red cards I suspect.
2. He has never scored 20 goals in a season before because he has never played 40+ games in a season. At 'Dale he scored 21 goals in 42 games, but it was spread over 20 month period.
3. Gus has certainly improved his game, his all round efforts have been immense this season, perhaps it is a combination of more experience, being fully fit and a different style of play.

or maybe, just maybe it was because he was in the last year of his contract??

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
None of those players you mention are negotiating their contracts around other clubs though are they. Lord Imperial Ferguson had no problem with offloading his top scorer Van Nistelrooy when he started upsetting the apple cart, or Beckham, Ince etc. before him. I think the same is applying here. Gus will only want people 110% committed to Brighton to play next season regardless of whether they are the teams best player or not.

p.s. just to put an argument against my own point, I guess Rooney this season would be a counter example of a player negotiating with bitter rivals then been talked into staying with a crisp new massive contract!

Great post, we need players who are committed. And I think some people are rating Murray very highly considering he's not been tested at championship level yet

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Look. Nothing's changed since the start of the month, exept that players are now becomig "out of contract" and free to sign for whomsoever they can strike a deal with,

Nothings changed since Gus was saying this at the start of May. Murray knows what we can offer him and is testing the water to see if anyone bites with a better deal.

Brighton and Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet says contract talks with top-scorer Glenn Murray are in deadlock.

Murray, whose 22 goals have helped the club to the League One title this season, is out of contract this summer.

Poyet told BBC Sussex: "We have a limit and must work to those limits. If it's not enough, it's not enough.

"It's not like I can go out and make an offer like any other team, that is something we have explained and tried to sort out."

Poyet does not expect his playing budget next season to mirror those of all the other clubs in the Championship.

"We were in a situation where we were the fifth or sixth (highest) budget in the division," he said.

"We are going to another level and we will increase our budget a lot, but we are going to be middle or maybe worse depending on who comes down from the Premier League.

"This means our level of payment is going to be less than the top 10 or the top 12."

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

Money grabbing prick

Trust Gus though

I think you need some anger management classes. Seriously.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I am fairly certain that Gus does not want him as much as some fans do. If he did, he would have offered him a Contract months ago.

the least the club can only offer him the value of the contract is he on until he is out of contract

While he is out of contrcat he will be linked with everyone

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd agree with pretty much all of that from our perspective, although I'm not going to suddenly start saying he's crap, he's a very good player who I'm certain can cut it at Championship level.

For work reasons I was at Palace's last match against Forest (0-3). I don't care how much money they are offering, if Murray had been at that game, he wouldn't sign for them above us. They were terrible. Afterwards a colleague said to me, 'You lot are going to pass Palace off the pitch next season' (let's hope he was right).

They are a shambles of a team, were very, very relieved to stay up, so much so it was like a promotion party at the end despite an embarrassing home drubbing. What Murray does is up to him, and if it's only money they'll probably give him more (because they're desperate, a bit like West Ham's signings). But if he harbours any ambition of belatedly making it to the Premier League, that would be the end of them.

Reading all this certainly warmed the hartles of my...I mean the cockles of my heart.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, with all the impartiality I can muster and I swear this isn't sour grapes but I could only too easily see this transfer turning into a bit of nightmare for both player and club: a bored and disinterested Glenn Murray slouching around miserably in the rain and getting endlessly caught offside in front of an increasingly decrepit corrugated iron Arthur Wait Shed while being accused of being an ex-Brighton homosexualist by a load of spotty little nerds from Thornton Heath whose NHS glasses fall off their nose from celebrating their 92nd minuter equaliser in the last minute against Barnsley which drags them up to fourth from bottom again.

Yup. I'd much rather have that than striding out at Falmer with Gus Poyet, for the sake of finally being able to afford air conditioning on his BMW. What a twat, really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here