Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are not a one man team, but the absence of Murray weakens our team FAR more than the absence of any other player in the squad.

I'm personally not questioning Murray's ability per se, but also not suggesting it would be the end of the world if he left. I think your assertion that he would weaken the side more than any other player is wrong because this side is set up (as others have said) to create numerous chances in every game. Would be great if Murray stayed, but I think you're overstating his importance overall, you only have to look at Barnes stats to confirm that a player of less ability than Murray (again in my opinion) can do just as well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I hope no-one tries to undervalue Glenn's contribution which has been pretty impressive throughout his three years and especially so this season. We will miss his defensive strength and his link up play as much if not more than his striking ability. I really think we relied on him too much in both of those areas and it showed to our cost at crucial times when we had no-one to cover for his absence (unlike his striking role which in fairness was well covered with Barnes and Wood). In addition, whilst I don't think it will be impossible to find someone to draw fouls in the final third as well as Glenn, I do think it is something we will miss.

I agree. Should he move elsewhere because of a 'better deal', given the length of a career of a footballer you can't really blame him.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
I'm loving our best attempts to look like Swindon fans
"he's not that good anyway"
"we can get better players than him"
"he's not a match winner"

Have you not seen how poor we are when he is not in the team? There's a lack of fluidity, creativity and chances at goal when he doesn't play?

No one else in our team can dive as convincingly as him in and around the box either

Have you not seen how poor we are when we've got nothing to play for and the season is all tied up? This 'we can't perform without Murray' crap is all based on th last 4 games of this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm personally not questioning Murray's ability per se, but also not suggesting it would be the end of the world if he left. I think your assertion that he would weaken the side more than any other player is wrong because this side is set up (as others have said) to create numerous chances in every game. Would be great if Murray stayed, but I think you're overstating his importance overall, you only have to look at Barnes stats to confirm that a player of less ability than Murray (again in my opinion) can do just as well.

Proof that his absence weakens the side more than anyone elses has been shown throughout this season. Have we ever played well without him on the pitch?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not saying we can't replace him, of course we can. But its certainly not going to be easy, and those coming out with the "well he wasn't that good anyway" line are, I think, mistaken. He slotted perfectly into the way Gus has this team set up, and the drop-off in performances since that Southampton oaf crocked him was noticable and I think a major factor (although I appreciate part of that was also because we'd got the flip-flops on).

I think Murray will be a big loss, but I think Gus will sort it. However, I'm going to be sitting very uncomfortably if come August we've brought in a couple of unknown strikers who Gus rates but I've never bloody heard of. I'm quite confident thats not going to happen, but I am a worrier. I can't help it.

It took him some time to slot into the way Gus sets up the team, it was noticeable how as the season progressed Murray worked harder and performed better in defensive situations. I don't think that was a natural part of his game and I think it was part of the reason he was in and out of the team earlier in the season.

There is no doubt though, as you say, we have been a better side with him in the team. However, I get the feeling Gus has to work harder than he would like to get Glenn to perform the role he wants him too and I also think if Glenn doesn't fit all that well in, in the dressing room, then perhaps Gus doesn't think we should push the boat out to far, especially when you're looking at very high wages for a player who might not cut it a level up.

Additionally, as good and as important to the side he has been. Gus will have a whole summer to change our attacking approach to make the most of whoever we bring in. Like all teams, we'll have to adapt and change. Half way through a season thats "complicated", not so much now!

Fair enough being worried but personally, I'm not too worried. I'm very confident we'll make some good additions to the strikeforce over the summer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Can't believe some are saying he is not that good. Take Soton away for how much we miss him when not playing, best defender from set pieces and has control that that is sometimes unbelievable. I will be gutted if he goes and livid if he goes to Palace and really don't think he will be that easy to replace but who knows what Gus will pull out of the hat

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nah we could still win games without Bennett. Without Murray we can't get the ball out of our HALF and keep it up there.

I'm just surprised at you Easy, do you not think you're jumping the gun just a TINY bit, already talking about how you want one of our players to be badly injured?

I think we look poor without Bennett. I know he wasn't the only one "rested" when we were playing those pub teams in the FA Cup, but by christ did we miss Bennetts energy, movement and directness.

And I only want Murray badly injured IF he goes to Palace. If he signs for a Leeds or a Forest then he goes with my thanks and best wishes for the future.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1By some people's attitudes, we may as well get rid of Bridcutt, Bennett and Calderon while we're at it, seeing as we can so easily "get someone better".

None of those players you mention are negotiating their contracts around other clubs though are they. Lord Imperial Ferguson had no problem with offloading his top scorer Van Nistelrooy when he started upsetting the apple cart, or Beckham, Ince etc. before him. I think the same is applying here. Gus will only want people 110% committed to Brighton to play next season regardless of whether they are the teams best player or not.

p.s. just to put an argument against my own point, I guess Rooney this season would be a counter example of a player negotiating with bitter rivals then been talked into staying with a crisp new massive contract!

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I just hate it when Brighton fans re-write history to make out someone was shit just because they left... I have been saying (as have others) for a good few weeks that Palace are keen on him.

And a few of us have been saying he's not that essential for months. And Gus/Bloom clearly agree because if they thought that highly of him, they would've have signed him months ago.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think you only have to look at the number of goals Murray scored before we signed Bennett against those that he scored since to realise which of those two players is more important.

I will be genuinely pleased if Murray joins Palace very soon as I think he will struggle and I'm glad it's happened quickly so we have plenty of time to find replacements. The worst thing would be this dragging on all August.

My prediction is he will score no more than 10 goals for Palace next season.

CMS he is not.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm loving our best attempts to look like Swindon fans
"he's not that good anyway"
"we can get better players than him"
"he's not a match winner"

Have you not seen how poor we are when he is not in the team? There's a lack of fluidity, creativity and chances at goal when he doesn't play?

No one else in our team can dive as convincingly as him in and around the box either

This is all very true but I rate Poyet higher than Wilson and I think Bloom will actually ensure we get good additions in, unlike the Swindon board, but I guess time will tell!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Murray will sign for us in the next week. The Crystal Palace issue is largely hot air. Just wait and see.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Have you not seen how poor we are when we've got nothing to play for and the season is all tied up? This 'we can't perform without Murray' crap is all based on th last 4 games of this season.

It's not, it's based on the games he missed or was dropped for.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just come in and seen this.......so HAS HE SIGNED FOR THEM?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Murray is a f***ing wanker, and he can f*** off

Always been petulant, always questioned his motivation.

To sideways move and not even to a northern club

Money grabbing prick

Hope the c nt gets a serious injury first game

Can be replaced but will cost a good 500k +

If Bennett now goes we are in a bit of trouble

Trust Gus though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here