Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course. But equally I don't think anyone can really blame him for going for the bigger offer.

IF he's using Palace as the lever, he's making a big mistake unless he actually intends to sign for them. If he stays and is below par next season, there will be no shortage of fans telling him he should have f***ed off to Palace. I can see no reason why he should be advised to talk to Palace unless he actually intends to join them, this episode won't just be forgotten, even if he does stay.

I think, maybe it'd be better for us and him if he does leave now.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The way Gus sets up the team its easy to score goals. Barnes got only 2 less than Murray with none of the histrionics.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bennett has another 3 years on his contract. So you reckon we should pay Murray our highest wage regardless if Poyet dosen't think he's worth it and also up Bennett wage to match Murrays, all so we dont lose the shape of a team which did well in a league below?

We are already offering Murray an improved deal which, I imagine, would make him our highest paid player. That would suggest Poyet DOES think he is worth being our highest paid player - just not as highlighly paid as Palace.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Murray has been signing his own cheques this season, he knew he was in the shop window and played like it. That was good for us and good for him. But a Glenn Murray at the start of a contract is a completly different animal, and if we are honest we all know that.....Wherever he goes, he will put it in when he wants too.....People have short memories.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
IF he's using Palace as the lever, he's making a big mistake unless he actually intends to sign for them. If he stays and is below par next season, there will be no shortage of fans telling him he should have f***ed off to Palace. I can see no reason why he should be advised to talk to Palace unless he actually intends to join them, this episode won't just be forgotten, even if he does stay.

Like Calderon and Southampton?

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
We are already offering Murray an improved deal which, I imagine, would make him our highest paid player. That would suggest Poyet DOES think he is worth being our highest paid player - just not as highlighly paid as Palace.

and how do you know he is being offered our highest wage? especially if he isn't signing it.

ps The thread is about Palace offering him a wage, not us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like Calderon and Southampton?

Southampton were no Palace at the time. If that happened now, after the goings on of this season, I reckon Calde wouldn't be welcomed back so warmly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who said anything about winning headers against him ?

I want to see him smashed into the WSU.

Will you (and countless others on this thread) feel like a bit of a prat if/when Glenn signs a new 3 year deal here?

We are not a one man team, but the absence of Murray weakens our team FAR more than the absence of any other player in the squad.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I remember this time last year some of the same harbingers of doom slagging off Calderon and saying that we were gonna struggle in mid table in the forthcoming season.

Just because Murray is talking to Palace, it doesn't mean he'll sign for them. He is at the pinnacle of his career and no one can blame him for taking his time to get the right deal.

If he does go to Palace then good luck to him- he'll never have a better season than he has just had with us and maybe, this time next year he'll realise just that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere!

Meanwhile we'll be hopefully at the right end of the table with the best stadium, the best coach and the best supporters in the league!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The way Gus sets up the team its easy to score goals. Barnes got only 2 less than Murray with none of the histrionics.

Barnes played 7 less games, and made 6 more of his 38 appearances as sub than Murray did. Murray 0.49 goals per game, Barnes 0.53 goals per game....

with none of the histrionics (but a lot more attitude!)...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I remember this time last year some of the same harbingers of doom slagging off Calderon and saying that we were gonna struggle in mid table in the forthcoming season.

Just because Murray is talking to Palace, it doesn't mean he'll sign for them. He is at the pinnacle of his career and no one can blame him for taking his time to get the right deal.

If he does go to Palace then good luck to him- he'll never have a better season than he has just had with us and maybe, this time next year he'll realise just that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere!

Meanwhile we'll be hopefully at the right end of the table with the best stadium, the best coach and the best supporters in the league!

Very sensible post on the subject.

Save the SLAGGING until he signs for Palace...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will you (and countless others on this thread) feel like a bit of a prat if/when Glenn signs a new 3 year deal here?

We are not a one man team, but the absence of Murray weakens our team FAR more than the absence of any other player in the squad.

Nope, not at all. I'll just be delighted if he stays. IF he stays. But if he pisses off to Palace he can DO one, and I hope we boot him all over the park when the teams meet.

I partially agree with your 2nd statement, except I'd put Bennett on a par in terms of importance to the team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone who suddenly starts saying he wasn't THAT good has a very short memory or is just a bit of an idiot. Same thing happened when Dean Hammond left.

Murray has been MINT the entire time he has been here. Best striker in the stripes since Zamora.

I have confidence that IF he leaves we can and will replace him, but it would be nice not to have to.

1000% this. This thread has definitely seen the highest level of THICKETRY in any NSC thread ever, and that's saying something.

By some people's attitudes, we may as well get rid of Bridcutt, Bennett and Calderon while we're at it, seeing as we can so easily "get someone better".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nope, not at all. I'll just be delighted if he stays. IF he stays. But if he pisses off to Palace he can DO one, and I hope we boot him all over the park when the teams meet.

I partially agree with your 2nd statement, except I'd put Bennett on a par in terms of importance to the team.

Nah we could still win games without Bennett. Without Murray we can't get the ball out of our HALF and keep it up there.

I'm just surprised at you Easy, do you not think you're jumping the gun just a TINY bit, already talking about how you want one of our players to be badly injured?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I hope no-one tries to undervalue Glenn's contribution which has been pretty impressive throughout his three years and especially so this season. We will miss his defensive strength and his link up play as much if not more than his striking ability. I really think we relied on him too much in both of those areas and it showed to our cost at crucial times when we had no-one to cover for his absence (unlike his striking role which in fairness was well covered with Barnes and Wood). In addition, whilst I don't think it will be impossible to find someone to draw fouls in the final third as well as Glenn, I do think it is something we will miss.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'm loving our best attempts to look like Swindon fans
"he's not that good anyway"
"we can get better players than him"
"he's not a match winner"

Have you not seen how poor we are when he is not in the team? There's a lack of fluidity, creativity and chances at goal when he doesn't play?

No one else in our team can dive as convincingly as him in and around the box either

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barnes played 7 less games, and made 6 more of his 38 appearances as sub than Murray did. Murray 0.49 goals per game, Barnes 0.53 goals per game....

with none of the histrionics (but a lot more attitude!)...

Not forgetting of course that Murray created a good third of Barnes goals for him...he is an essential reason why Barnes has done so well this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports