Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Anyone who suddenly starts saying he wasn't THAT good has a very short memory or is just a bit of an idiot. Same thing happened when Dean Hammond left.

Murray has been MINT the entire time he has been here. Best striker in the stripes since Zamora.

I have confidence that IF he leaves we can and will replace him, but it would be nice not to have to.

we have a 3 year plan to get to the prem, in 3 years Glenn will be in his 30's. Does that sound like he'll be vital to us in the future?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Anyone who suddenly starts saying he wasn't THAT good has a very short memory or is just a bit of an idiot. Same thing happened when Dean Hammond left.

Murray has been MINT the entire time he has been here. Best striker in the stripes since Zamora.

I have confidence that IF he leaves we can and will replace him, but it would be nice not to have to.

Completely agree. A brilliant footballer and he'll be bloody hard to replace (IF he goes to Thornton Heath)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes but if he goes its best to just think of the positives and that is that he isn't our best player, he only scored a few more goals than Barnes, he's 28 years old, he's a greedy bugger

I think thats just head-in-the-sand stuff tbh. He's a loss, there's no getting away from that.

I agree with the rest of your post though, there are plenty of positives (or potential positives) that will probably come about during the summer, Murrays departure by no means equals doom & gloom. But we can't afford to take punts on junk like Holroyd, Battipiedi or Baz and have them cluttering the bench this time round. We need serious reinforcements, up front in particular even more so now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I kind of agree, but the point people are making is that he has been MINT the entire time he has been here...in League One.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
we have a 3 year plan to get to the prem, in 3 years Glenn will be in his 30's. Does that sound like he'll be vital to us in the future?

Rome wasn't built in a day. You could say the same thing about almost our entire squad. Look at the QPR squad this season. Most of them will leave NOW they are in the Premiership.

I am confident Gus will replace Glenn IF he leaves. I just hate it when Brighton fans re-write history to make out someone was shit just because they left.

Also, this is hardly surprise news. I have been saying (as have others) for a good few weeks that Palace are keen on him. A few red herrings from Douglas Freedman didn't change that.

Fingers crossed Glenn sees sense and stays.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

this....... and what if a special club does come wooing our manager now? We all have faith in Gus as long as he is the manager. But Villa and Chelsea will be in the Market...... and if they come calling, then what? Barnes/Adgestein and no other strikers on the books?

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Rome wasn't built in a day. You could say the same thing about almost our entire squad. Look at the QPR squad this season. Most of them will leave NOW they are in the Premiership.

I am confident Gus will replace Glenn IF he leaves. I just hate it when Brighton fans re-write history to make out someone was shit just because they left.

Also, this is hardly surprise news. I have been saying (as have others) for a good few weeks that Palace are keen on him. A few red herrings from Douglas Freedman didn't change that.

Fingers crossed Glenn sees sense and stays.

no ones saying he's shit but incomparison to his demands he is shit, fact. Unless your doubting Poyet and Blooms Judgment.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
this....... and what if a special club does come wooing our manager now? We all have faith in Gus as long as he is the manager. But Villa and Chelsea will be in the Market...... and if they come calling, then what? Barnes/Adgestein and no other strikers on the books?

That has to be a big worry. Fine, with Gus at the helm we are aiming for big things. But Poyets do not fall off trees - we have been double lucky to get him on his way up.

A change in manager and the plans all change.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
no ones saying he's shit but incomparison to his demands he is shit, fact. Unless your doubting Poyet and Blooms Judgment.

It depends. If nobody was offering him more I imagine he would be happy with our offer. The fact is though, that they are, in which case he is surely well within his rights to ask for the same here?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes but if he goes its best to just think of the positives and that is that he isn't our best player, he only scored a few more goals than Barnes, he's 28 years old, he's a greedy bugger, Bloom is already targetting the Prem, Poyet is an absolute genius who's capabale of plucking players like Calderon and Barnes out of nowhere. I'd be more gutted if Calderon or Painter or Bennett or Bridcutt left than Murray. I'd also be more excited about LuaLua signing than Murray staying so really its not the most important thing for the club wether Murray stays or goes, it's just a little blow for a big club now.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that from our perspective, although I'm not going to suddenly start saying he's crap, he's a very good player who I'm certain can cut it at Championship level.

For work reasons I was at Palace's last match against Forest (0-3). I don't care how much money they are offering, if Murray had been at that game, he wouldn't sign for them above us. They were terrible. Afterwards a colleague said to me, 'You lot are going to pass Palace off the pitch next season' (let's hope he was right).

They are a shambles of a team, were very, very relieved to stay up, so much so it was like a promotion party at the end despite an embarrassing home drubbing. What Murray does is up to him, and if it's only money they'll probably give him more (because they're desperate, a bit like West Ham's signings). But if he harbours any ambition of belatedly making it to the Premier League, that would be the end of them.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
It depends. If nobody was offering him more I imagine he would be happy with our offer. The fact is though, that they are, in which case he is surely well within his rights to ask for the same here?

so you think Murray should be our highest paid player? (by far)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

And the management are well within their rights to tell him to do one, if he's trying to call Bloom/Gus' bluff I'd suggest he's making a pig's ear of it. We'll see

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes. Alongside Bennett.

As I said earlier, I prefer Gus's opinion to yours, if Gus doesn't reckon he's worth what he wants I'm fine with that. Mind you yes, I don't blame him for taking the best deal, people sometimes forget that professional footballers don't have careers that take them up to their bus pass.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Yes. Alongside Bennett.

Bennett has another 3 years on his contract. So you reckon we should pay Murray our highest wage regardless if Poyet dosen't think he's worth it and also up Bennett wage to match Murrays, all so we dont lose the shape of a team which did well in a league below?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here