Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
This thread will be bounced come Christmas when we've got an even better striker upfront than what we had and Palace are struggling to score goals. Mark my word.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He probbley wants a three year deal. In three years Bloom wants to be in the prem(no doubt about that). So we probbley offered him one or two years, because however good some on here seem to think he is, a prem striker he is not. I can only think of Zamora and Davies who have gone though the leagues and been a good prem player. Murray is not in that league, nowhere near....If he goes to Palace, I personally think its a very unambitious move on the players part. So f*** him basicly and im pretty sure Gus would feel the same way, if Gus really wanted him to stay, im sure he would be staying. He will be long forgotten by August 6th, if not in a couple of weeks.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
He probbley wants a three year deal. In three years Bloom wants to be in the prem(no doubt about that). So we probbley offered him one or two years, because however good some on here seem to think he is, a prem striker he is not. I can only think of Zamora and Davies who have gone though the leagues and been a good prem player. Murray is not in that league, nowhere near....If he goes to Palace, I personally think its a very unambitious move on the players part. So f*** him basicly and im pretty sure Gus would feel the same way, if Gus really wanted him to stay, im sure he would be staying. He will be long forgotten by August 6th, if not in a couple of weeks.

Thats more like it! Lets keep things postive. It seems alot on here are still stuck in that Withdean frame of mind.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see your point but how do we know we can't replace him? Poyets been speaking of a special striker for some time now which shows he has targets.

I'm not saying we can't replace him, of course we can. But its certainly not going to be easy, and those coming out with the "well he wasn't that good anyway" line are, I think, mistaken. He slotted perfectly into the way Gus has this team set up, and the drop-off in performances since that Southampton oaf crocked him was noticable and I think a major factor (although I appreciate part of that was also because we'd got the flip-flops on).

I think Murray will be a big loss, but I think Gus will sort it. However, I'm going to be sitting very uncomfortably if come August we've brought in a couple of unknown strikers who Gus rates but I've never bloody heard of. I'm quite confident thats not going to happen, but I am a worrier. I can't help it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not saying we can't replace him, of course we can. But its certainly not going to be easy, and those coming out with the "well he wasn't that good anyway" line are, I think, mistaken. He slotted perfectly into the way Gus has this team set up, and the drop-off in performances since that Southampton oaf crocked him was noticable and I think a major factor (although I appreciate part of that was also because we'd got the flip-flops on).

I think Murray will be a big loss, but I think Gus will sort it. However, I'm going to be sitting very uncomfortably if come August we've brought in a couple of unknown strikers who Gus rates but I've never bloody heard of. I'm quite confident thats not going to happen, but I am a worrier. I can't help it.

I would be worried if we had nearly any other manager, but not with Gus.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the way that we play football and that we are now in the Championship I imagine a season long loan from one of the top 4 clubs in the country in the shape of a young up and coming striker is a very real possibilty. Maybe Gus sees this as a better way forward than being held to ransom by a player who has just had his best ever season...in League 1. I have said for months that Gus does not seem to be totally taken with Glenn. :shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Plenty of time to decide on a replacement and may even result in further development of our playing style if we don't have a traditional target man up front. Who knows but at least it's sorted (presumably) and we can move on.

Don't think Glenn will exactly get a heroes welcome when he comes to the Amex next season - indeed it could make the sort of welcome that Nathan Jones and Dean Hammond get look like a love match.

Now let's sort out whether Norwich want Bennett and we will know exactly where we stand

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has been a good player for us but I think that we could find as good or better up front what we will miss unless we sign a dominant stopper central defender is his defending on corners etc.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth

Yes but if he goes its best to just think of the positives and that is that he isn't our best player, he only scored a few more goals than Barnes, he's 28 years old, he's a greedy bugger, Bloom is already targetting the Prem, Poyet is an absolute genius who's capabale of plucking players like Calderon and Barnes out of nowhere. I'd be more gutted if Calderon or Painter or Bennett or Bridcutt left than Murray. I'd also be more excited about LuaLua signing than Murray staying so really its not the most important thing for the club wether Murray stays or goes, it's just a little blow for a big club now.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
At least he'll get one game at the Amex. Unless he breaks his leg on the first day of the season of course. (tee hee!!)
If there's any truth in all of these rumours it surely shows which direction both clubs are heading.
They're rumoured to be signing a league one player and we're being linked with premiere stars!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anyone who suddenly starts saying he wasn't THAT good has a very short memory or is just a bit of an idiot. Same thing happened when Dean Hammond left.

Murray has been MINT the entire time he has been here. Best striker in the stripes since Zamora.

I have confidence that IF he leaves we can and will replace him, but it would be nice not to have to.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
oh well. i gave up on murray leaving a long time ago. He is important to us. But he is unproven in the championship. several strikers have performed well in league 1 like murray and have failed to make the grade higher up. It remains to be seen how well he will do. I am happy with now whoever gus decided to bring in as i believe they will be a more than capable replacement for this lump of ....

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
This is mostly unsubstantiated bullshit until it's actually confirmed, his agent clearly won't shut the f*** up given the last few weeks' speculation. If he leaves I don't blame him, it's the most important contract of his career and I don't judge him for wanting to make it the most lucrative he can. I'll cheer him when he returns to the Amex. But if he was to go to Palace...well, I look forward screaming abuse at him until my vocal chords rupture, and also to playing the xylophone on his ribcage when it lands next to me in the WSU next season after Adam "welcomes" him to our new home, much like this...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Anyone who suddenly starts saying he wasn't THAT good has a very short memory or is just a bit of an idiot. Same thing happened when Dean Hammond left.

Murray has been MINT the entire time he has been here. Best striker in the stripes since Zamora.

I have confidence that IF he leaves we can and will replace him, but it would be nice not to have to.

Agreed.
If he does leave then he deserves every bit of abuse he'd get. However, to suddenly belittle his efforts as a Brighton player is completely wrong. He has been an outstanding player. I also think he'd do very well in the Champ. if he stayed.
But, he IS replaceable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports