Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray the 70 million pound mistake?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He might score 20 though. And if we hadn't foolishly let him go we might not have dicked about with this bollocks lop sided Ashley Barnes left wing nonsense, we could have carried on where we left off with him but replacing Buckley with Bennett.

All bit ifs and buts though isn't it? Fact is he went, that was nearly 2 years ago because he wanted more money, get over it. More of a moan would be Poyet's ability to isolate his forwards. I am sure CMS would have scored a bucketful of goals had he played for Palace this year!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Spot on. And nothing to do with tonight's reversal.
Murray was a quality player and finisher. We got Amex s/t and 1901 Club money early on, but Gus decided Murray wasn't worth a modest Championship level pay. Bizarre.

Are you seriously suggesting that funds from Season Tickets and 1901 memberships should have gone to Glenn Murrays wage demands? What, just his? What do you think would have happened if Glenn had secured a significant pay rise when he was playing fairly averagely? Christ. The whole squad would have been lodging wage demands.

Obviously Glenn's agent had a whisper in his ear that The shit were prepared to give him a few extra grand, Glenn decided to give Gus first dibs...Gus was more than likely prevented from breaking agreed wage deals by the clubs financiers (TB) especially for, at that time, a pedestrian player.

Don't forget Gus stood by Judas all through his home sickness, his relationship problems and his fear of putting his laces through anything when a good shuffle around the edge of the box would suffice...I wondered whether he thought his right foot was made of effing glass when he played at Withdean. The minute The shit dangled a carrot Judas was off. NO FAULT OF GUS POYET.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All bit ifs and buts though isn't it? Fact is he went, that was nearly 2 years ago because he wanted more money, get over it. More of a moan would be Poyet's ability to isolate his forwards. I am sure CMS would have scored a bucketful of goals had he played for Palace this year!

That's going a bit far, but you may be correct. :D

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Whats this ? A thread about Glenn Murray ? Why did no-one think of this sooner...

He good. He score many goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He might score 20 though. And if we hadn't foolishly let him go we might not have dicked about with this bollocks lop sided Ashley Barnes left wing nonsense, we could have carried on where we left off with him but replacing Buckley with Bennett.

He scored 6 last season under Freedman. It's Holloway who has got the best out of him.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I didn't realise we have to go up this season, what happens if we win the league next year, are we kept out

We have to get promotion this season or next. Next season the teams coming down will have massive parachute payments. Bottom next year could take £60m (or more) + parachute payments over next 4 years (thats more than Man City got for winning it last year). No way our budget will compete.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
FFS, Ulloa scored again tonight so move on.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh PISS OFF about Murray, it was nearly 2 YEARS ago now.

Not forgetting CMS scored more than him last season but if you want to bash the club and all ignore the facts, but then this is NSC.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not another Google Murray thread. And if my Auntie had been born with wheels she could have been a tram (I don't know what that means either).

That's it. I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams. Nighty night, sleep tight, hope the bugs don't bite.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you seriously suggesting that funds from Season Tickets and 1901 memberships should have gone to Glenn Murrays wage demands? What, just his? What do you think would have happened if Glenn had secured a significant pay rise when he was playing fairly averagely? Christ. The whole squad would have been lodging wage demands.

Obviously Glenn's agent had a whisper in his ear that The shit were prepared to give him a few extra grand, Glenn decided to give Gus first dibs...Gus was more than likely prevented from breaking agreed wage deals by the clubs financiers (TB) especially for, at that time, a pedestrian player.

Don't forget Gus stood by Judas all through his home sickness, his relationship problems and his fear of putting his laces through anything when a good shuffle around the edge of the box would suffice...I wondered whether he thought his right foot was made of effing glass when he played at Withdean. The minute The shit dangled a carrot Judas was off. NO FAULT OF GUS POYET.

Great statement of guesses and anti Murray vitriol.

Murray was on £3,250 at League One.
Long before he or his agent talked to Palace, but after our promotion was a near certainty, he was seeking £6,000 per week, which is a fraction of the wages paid to CMS, Bridge, Vicente, Buckley, Bruno, Orlandi, Lopez, and so on, and virtually all the players at a host of other Championship clubs, plus many others like Chopra.

Murray wanted to stay local with us.

Gus made an unnecessary stance against one of our stars of the promotion team.

Low budget Palace came along and simply met the £6k a week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Great statement of guesses and anti Murray vitriol.

Murray was on £3,250 at League One.
Long before he or his agent talked to Palace, but after our promotion was a near certainty, he was seeking £6,000 per week, which is a fraction of the wages paid to CMS, Bridge, Vicente, Buckley, Bruno, Orlandi, Lopez, and so on, and virtually all the players at a host of other Championship clubs, plus many others like Chopra.

Murray wanted to stay local with us.

Gus made an unnecessary stance against one of our stars of the promotion team.

Low budget Palace came along and simply met the £6k a week.

are you his agent or his bank manager? at the time a figure twice that was talked about and a large signing on fee. as i recall, as far as was reported it was the fee that was the sticking point. either way, clearly the club felt his demands too great and/or his place wouldnt warrant them. at the end of the day, you cannot say he wanted to stay here, otherwise he would have. he moved to us for the money, he moved to palace for the money. nothing wrong with that for a professional footballer. lets just move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here