Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red card appeal REJECTED

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Handling it of itself is not a red card offence though. Considering that not only was murray's own face and the goalkeeper behind the ball I fail to see how this could be regarded as a clear goalscoring opportunity. The penalty should have been sufficient punishment for what was essentially and exerecise in self preservation.

Anyway it's only a one match ban, we'll live I guess. Let's get on with tonight's game now shall we?

You could also argue that Stockdale's line of sight was obscured by Murray, so he wouldn't have had chance to react.

All hypothetical, but so is whether it's a clear goal scoring opportunity and for me it was.

Given some were talking more than one game, I don't think it's the worst outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could also argue that Stockdale's line of sight was obscured by Murray, so he wouldn't have had chance to react.
Stockdale wouldn't have saved it, because it would have hit Murray. It wasn't even deliberate. And given that a penalty was given, a goal scoring opportunity was still there. It's not the same as when a player stops the ball crossing the line with his arms.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale wouldn't have saved it, because it would have hit Murray. It wasn't even deliberate. And given that a penalty was given, a goal scoring opportunity was still there. It's not the same as when a player stops the ball crossing the line with his arms.

I really think this is an opinion thing. Murray moved his hands towards the ball, whether it was to protect himself or stop a goal is highly debatable.

I don't think he should have done it, hence I think it's correct. I don't think either CB would have in that position.

As I say all opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
In retrospect the wankers at the FA have done us a favour here.
We got the 3 points vs Cardiff.
Murray got a rest
Hemed gained some confidence
Hughton tried March as a number 10

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In retrospect the wankers at the FA have done us a favour here.
We got the 3 points vs Cardiff.
Murray got a rest
Hemed gained some confidence
Hughton tried March as a number 10

Yep. We just about got away with it, considering the temporary injury list and Murray's suspension.

One thing we've hopefully determined is that March isn't a natural No.10. This should help focus attention on getting cover for Baldock.... which I'm sure was already top of the January wish list.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yep. We just about got away with it, considering the temporary injury list and Murray's suspension.

One thing we've hopefully determined is that March isn't a natural No.10. This should help focus attention on getting cover for Baldock.... which I'm sure was already top of the January wish list.

This, if anything this clarified to CH and TB that cover is required for Baldock. I'm sure they have this covered though

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Didn't Shelvey kick the guy while they were lying on the floor? That's what he was sent off for I presume, so is there conclusive proof that he didn't?

It was so minimal imho that its inconclusive..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Doesn't that mean it should have been upheld?

Don't they have to be SURE beyond reasonable doubt that he didn't lash out to rescind it? Maybe they just asked him???

I suppose so,but also upon review it's clear (to me anyway)to see,that no offence was committed,again its only my view/opinion,i just feel it was,upon review,a fair decision overturn of the Red..

Like the joke at the end btw.. probably.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The law was changed this season because of double jeopardy. Teams were being punished by the penalty and the loss of a player. Red cards were only to be awarded for deliberate handballs in the area. The Leeds player who got a red was bang to rights, because he was on the line, and used his arm to stop the ball going in.
Stockdale was right behind Murray, who instinctively protected his face.

Three game bans are for violent conduct.

I knew it was only one match,but was/am unaware of the change of law...

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The law was changed this season because of double jeopardy. Teams were being punished by the penalty and the loss of a player. Red cards were only to be awarded for deliberate handballs in the area. The Leeds player who got a red was bang to rights, because he was on the line, and used his arm to stop the ball going in.
Stockdale was right behind Murray, who instinctively protected his face.

Three game bans are for violent conduct.
The law was changed so that if a player made a genuine attempt to play the ball in the area but committed a foul whilst denying a goal scoring opportunity then it should be pen and yellow rather than pen and red. Handball which denies a goal scoring opportunity in the penalty area a remains pen and red.

The definition of handball is that it has to be deliberate! Anyone who says "it was obviously handball but it wasn't deliberate so shouldn't be a red card" or words to that effect doesn't understand the laws. The definition of "deliberate" is not straightforward but the law is quite clear that accidental handball is not a foul.

We saw against Cardiff that a keeper can be in line and still fail to save a shot so whether Stockdale was right behind Murray or not is not particularly relevant, especially as the shot was so hard.

There were reasons that this might not have been a red - ball might not have been going in at at all; if Murray's hands hadn't been there then the ball would have hit him in the face - but these are fairly tenuous. Look at the picture of Murray's "save" and ask yourself: if he played for another team would I think that was a pen and a red?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here