Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Yep this is getting annoying now. Will he, wont he. If Murray is not careful he might find himself without a club come the new season, because we might close the door on him.

What's annoying about it?

These are contract discussions between an employer and an employee and will go on until an agreement is reached ... or otherwise. Same as any contract negotiations in any other business. Neither party is under any obligation to make a decision in any particular timescale and each will have his own view of when it's time to end it if nothing can be agreed. Still normal.

One side clearly want to keep the employee, albeit within certain pay limits - very sensible. The other party is looking to get the best deal he can. Wouldn't we all?

What will be, will be but I can't see anything 'annoying' about it at all.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Because Murray is a far better all round player than Lambert, barnard or Connolly.

I agree- not sure if Lambert, for all his ability, is mobile enough to excel in the Championship. Connolly's class but he's ageing and injury-prone and isn't Barnard possibly going to prison?

Murray's got the all-round ability to cut it at the next level and I think we should do everything reasonable to hold on to him. Which it seems we are, just as he's quite reasonably seeing what he might earn somewhere else. It's called negotiation people, it happens, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a decision either way before July.

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
if Murray were to go, would want us to get David Goodwillie in place. Funny name aside, scored 16 goals in the SPL this season in a relatively sucessful Dundee United team that we're alledgedly getting this Gomis and Buaben pair from. SPL obviously isn't an amazing standard of football but from what i've seen on TV and other videos he has been a very good player.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sorry but although Murray is a fantastic player, Lambert is a better player than him. In the last 3 seasons Lambert has passed the 30 goal mark twice and twenty once, I don't think mobility is an issue either, you only need to look at Grant Holt and Danny Graham (both of whom scored 20+ in League one) to see you don't need that good mobility to score hat fulls in the championship anyway.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Sorry but although Murray is a fantastic player, Lambert is a better player than him. In the last 3 seasons Lambert has passed the 30 goal mark twice and twenty once, I don't think mobility is an issue either, you only need to look at Grant Holt to see you don't need mobility to score hat fulls in the championship.

Fair enough opinion - I have to say I'm suprised by how good Holt has been.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sorry but although Murray is a fantastic player, Lambert is a better player than him. In the last 3 seasons Lambert has passed the 30 goal mark twice and twenty once, I don't think mobility is an issue either, you only need to look at Grant Holt to see you don't need mobility to score hat fulls in the championship.

But Murray isn't just your typical poacher like they are. He has defensive qualities, play maker, holds the ball up well.

Compare our performance in games when he did / didn't start and you'll see how good he is

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
if Murray were to go, would want us to get David Goodwillie in place. Funny name aside, scored 16 goals in the SPL this season in a relatively sucessful Dundee United team that we're alledgedly getting this Gomis and Buaben pair from. SPL obviously isn't an amazing standard of football but from what i've seen on TV and other videos he has been a very good player.

Isn't he the bloke who was being accused of rape?

If not, my humble apologies to him.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Sorry but although Murray is a fantastic player, Lambert is a better player than him. In the last 3 seasons Lambert has passed the 30 goal mark twice and twenty once, I don't think mobility is an issue either, you only need to look at Grant Holt and Danny Graham (both of whom scored 20+ in League one) to see you don't need that good mobility to score hat fulls in the championship anyway.

How can Lambert pass the 30 goal mark twice without passing the 20 goal mark? :p

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
Isn't he the bloke who was being accused of rape?

If not, my humble apologies to him.

Think so yeah, appearing in court soon I believe. But on the field he's been labelled as one of Scotland's hottest properties so I reckon he must be worth a look, especially if we're already looking in Scotland.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry but although Murray is a fantastic player, Lambert is a better player than him. In the last 3 seasons Lambert has passed the 30 goal mark twice.

Great figures, obviously, although those totals include about 15 penalties and direct free kicks. He takes all their set plays. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind.

If Murray was a reliable penalty taker, he would have scored 35 goals this season :eek:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But Murray isn't just your typical poacher like they are. He has defensive qualities, play maker, holds the ball up well.

Compare our performance in games when he did / didn't start and you'll see how good he is
Yes but lambert is excellent at free-kicks and penalties:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here