Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Big Question:

Was Muzza at the parade yesterday? Cant find a single picture of him. If he wasn't there it suggests that there's something definately wrong..... would sound like bridges being burned.

Yes he was and there are pictures iof him. When he was introduced by CO there was a resounding chant of 'sign him up' so he knows how those supporters feel. As has been said we are all speculating or rather guessing on the situation as to his earnings and offers. My only point is that we must be a little flexible because he is worth nothing to us at the momen t and with his signature a saleable asset if needed similar to Rooney at Man U.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Suppose it must be in Roz's next batch of pictures as he wasnt in any of the bus. Heartening new though, BG. Thanks

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Suppose it must be in Roz's next batch of pictures as he wasnt in any of the bus. Heartening new though, BG. Thanks

I glimpsed him on the bus a couple of times, but for the most part he sat in the middle out of view. I wouldn't read too much into his behaviour as he's obviously not someone comfortable with larging it up in general.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
No I a,m not saying that as we dont know figures and can only speculate based on the figures banded about. It has been said he has been offered £6.5 - £7k per week, what he gets now is totally immaterial. Whether it be 3, 4 or even 5 times what he earns now. If as suggested SCC and Millwall have offered £10k that he appears to be happy with why not tempt him with a slight rise eg £8 - 8.5k per week or the basic as suggested and then an extra goal bonus to make up the money. This puts the ball back in his court if he scores goals he and us benefit if not we sell him for £400k. It is usual for strikers to have goal bonuses so the rest of the team wouldnt be upset as they would still be getting their win bonus. Which they havent since he has been out injured.

Lets look at the negatives though, lets assume we give Glenn another 3 year contract on the £8-8.5k per week you mention, then after half a season in the Championship it becomes painfully obvious that Glenn is out of his depth in the Championship, the fans are on his back (that bit doesnt take much to believe) and the player is unhappy and woefully short of confidence.

We would then have a player who is sitting in our reserves earning £8-8.5k per week, Yes there may be a few league one teams who would be interested but baring in mind that our budget last season was one of the better ones in league one, these teams could not afford his wages, so do we sell him for say £250k (a decent wedge for a player described above) and offer to pay half his wages for the following two and a half years? (a loss of about £400k) or do we just put up with paying a player way too much to sit in the reserves and see out his contract?

I really do rate Glenn and hope he stays but i wouldnt want to be in the scenario above, so if Brighton have made there best offer and Glenn still wants more, then its tara Glenn for me, see you when we play Millwall.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bensgranded said "It has been said he has been offered £6.5 - £7k per week, what he gets now is totally immaterial. Whether it be 3, 4 or even 5 times what he earns now. If as suggested SCC and Millwall have offered £10k that he appears to be happy with why not tempt him with a slight rise eg £8 - 8.5k per week or the basic as suggested and then an extra goal bonus to make up the money."

How do you know we haven't done this? You don't know anything about the offer as you say, so why make this kind of crass observation. Prove that we haven't offered this (or for that matter that we have).

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Welcome to North Stand Chat.

...and I heard David Beckham was seen with GP and TB outside a doss house on Queens Park Rd, with the tooth fairy and Lord Lucan, and I defend my right to say it, as will several other mu..... people.

I know that is the nature of NSC but sometimes it becomes very irritating, and frustrating, when total guesswork and speculation is moved on to be fact, and a player who has been hugely instrumental in our promotion this season gets criticised on the basis of it.

It's pathetic but, after all this time I should know what to expect, I suppose.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Millwall have given Murray a RUBBISH offer.

Southamton have not offered anything yet.

Brighton have offered to effectively almost double his current wages.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As far as Millwall are concerned they may or may not have a big money backer but at the end of the day I would be very surprised if their average gate is within sixty percent of ours, I don't see them or Palace being able to improve on our offer although SCC could. On the other hand I could see Derby or Forest for example being able to make a sizeable offer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Albion won't pay over £6.5k a week, or thereabouts.

Murray has been sounded out over offers approaching nearer £10k from elsewhere.

Also, for anyone doubting Murray - he has been asking for contract talks since around Christmas, but kept getting told it would be dealt with at the end of the season.

If he goes it wil be to another club in the south east because he is settled with a new girlfriend who is based in London. The ex of one of the London Wasps.

Millwall have given Murray a RUBBISH offer.

Southamton have not offered anything yet.

Brighton have offered to effectively almost double his current wages.

???

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So we are still none the wiser..this could drag on for ages!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know even less than you but trhk can be a bit nasty to bg at times and i cant help wonder if they might be family...your thoughts...?

I hope I'm not a BG stalker (I have one of my own and it's not nice - although I have him on ignore so far more pleasant now). I do find myself disagreeing with BG quite often though Sydney - and in this case I was tearing my hair out. Why say you know nothing and then put forward a theory like that. Anyway, point well made. I will try to be less of a Jiminy Cricket on BG's shoulder. Apologies BG, it's not your fault your an idiot.

PS He is not family. Never met the guy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we are still none the wiser..this could drag on for ages!

Or at least until Gus throws a wobbly about it a la Calderon, when we can expect a rapid conclusion one way or the other :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope I'm not a BG stalker (I have one of my own and it's not nice - although I have him on ignore so far more pleasant now). I do find myself disagreeing with BG quite often though Sydney - and in this case I was tearing my hair out. Why say you know nothing and then put forward a theory like that. Anyway, point well made. I will try to be less of a Jiminy Cricket on BG's shoulder. Apologies BG, it's not your fault your an idiot.

PS He is not family. Never met the guy.

What an obnoxious arsehole I suppose that comes with being better than everybody else and living in Kent, why dont you go and support a Kent club like Gillingham.

Nobody on here, you included, has any idea how much Glen earns or has been offered I was just suggesting a possible solution to people in exactly the same position as a basis for discussion. If we said pay him £20k a week it would have no affect on Gus or TB but at least it gives us something to talk about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here