Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Glenn has been wanting out for years. His heart has never been at the club. He is a mercenary, just in it for the money and nothing else it appears. Loyalty, honour and dedication to his profession and club is not in Glenn's dictionary. I will be pleased if he goes as he is a disruptive influence in the squad and clearly thinks he is better than he is. We will easily replace him and any decent league one striker would have got 22 this season upfront in this side. Glad to be shot of him now. I am pretty confident Poyet will not put up with any of his bullshit.
Totally agree
He never interacts with the fans that much and seems a bit of an outcast,i think maybe gus does want him out and im sure he has better lined up.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I reckon;

Murray is off, he'll get more money, but his career will begin to slide, and he'll be back in League One within 2 years.
Gus will bring in a couple of strikers to rotate with Barnes, and we won't miss Glenn as much as Glenn will miss us.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think that if Glenn does move on he will do very well indeed.
Shame that people seem to associate someone leaving with a need to put them down - we are an infinitely better team with Glenn Murray as recent performances have shown

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think that if Glenn does move on he will do very well indeed.
Shame that people seem to associate someone leaving with a need to put them down - we are an infinitely better team with Glenn Murray as recent performances have shown
I don't think he will against bigger defenders and he's slow,but we will see come the end of next season:D

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Glenn has been wanting out for years. His heart has never been at the club. He is a mercenary, just in it for the money and nothing else it appears. Loyalty, honour and dedication to his profession and club is not in Glenn's dictionary. I will be pleased if he goes as he is a disruptive influence in the squad and clearly thinks he is better than he is. We will easily replace him and any decent league one striker would have got 22 this season upfront in this side. Glad to be shot of him now. I am pretty confident Poyet will not put up with any of his bullshit.

I second that. I kind of feel all this Murray business is putting a damper on our promotion, well for me anyway. And I am sure it is influencing other players thoughts as well.

There seems to be no end in sight either and that's the most annoying aspect of it all.

It must be so annoying for Tony and Gus and everyone else. Because Murray not signing is really messing up the plans for next season at the moment. Get another striker or wait for Murray. They have improved the offer, so what else can they do?

There has to bet a cut off time and I think we have nearly reached that now, and I am sure people will observe who is on or off the Gus bus today which will give us all some sort of indication of what is going on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I reckon;

Murray is off, he'll get more money, but his career will begin to slide, and he'll be back in League One within 2 years.
Gus will bring in a couple of strikers to rotate with Barnes, and we won't miss Glenn as much as Glenn will miss us.

I agree with that. The club have made their best offer to him but he's being ridiculous with his wage demand.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Not looking to put him down, I just think he'd be better off staying with us. Many players down the years have seen that;

1. the grass is NOT greener elsewhere
2. they don't turn out to be as good as their agent is telling them.

I think Glenn will find it difficult taking the step up, as he's not especially quick, skillful, big or powerful, but has a good all-round game. He needs a team to find the best way of utilising him, and perhaps take him a while to settle as well. Taking the step up to The Championship will be hard for him, and I just think combining that with a new club as well will be very hard for him to pull off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fail to agree with all this negativity about Glen Murray. I would have thought that if his head had ben swayed by Southampton and Millwall etc offering £10k per week he would have signed by now but the fact that he hasnt indicates to me that he doesnt really want to leave and if offered something he would sign for us. As I have said before whatever extra we pay him will be money well spent, either he scores goals and we recoup it in goal value or he doesnt and we sell him for a substantial sum to a team chasing promotion from Div 1 where he is proven.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I fail to agree with all this negativity about Glen Murray. I would have thought that if his head had ben swayed by Southampton and Millwall etc offering £10k per week he would have signed by now but the fact that he hasnt indicates to me that he doesnt really want to leave and if offered something he would sign for us. As I have said before whatever extra we pay him will be money well spent, either he scores goals and we recoup it in goal value or he doesnt and we sell him for a substantial sum to a team chasing promotion from Div 1 where he is proven.

So you think we should quadruple his wages (which is what I heard yesterday) and where would that leave his team mates?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you think we should quadruple his wages (which is what I heard yesterday) and where would that leave his team mates?

No I a,m not saying that as we dont know figures and can only speculate based on the figures banded about. It has been said he has been offered £6.5 - £7k per week, what he gets now is totally immaterial. Whether it be 3, 4 or even 5 times what he earns now. If as suggested SCC and Millwall have offered £10k that he appears to be happy with why not tempt him with a slight rise eg £8 - 8.5k per week or the basic as suggested and then an extra goal bonus to make up the money. This puts the ball back in his court if he scores goals he and us benefit if not we sell him for £400k. It is usual for strikers to have goal bonuses so the rest of the team wouldnt be upset as they would still be getting their win bonus. Which they havent since he has been out injured.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wish all these Murray knockers would get back in their boxes. If they can't see how much Glenn has brought to the team this year and how much we'll miss him if he leaves they know nowt about football. I am not saying we should necessarily pay him what he wants but let's stop kidding ourselves that we are, or would be, a better team without him. That's just barking. And finding a replacement with the same attacking skills and defensive attributes will be far from easy.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
I wish all these Murray knockers would get back in their boxes. If they can't see how much Glenn has brought to the team this year and how much we'll miss him if he leaves they know nowt about football. I am not saying we should necessarily pay him what he wants but let's stop kidding ourselves that we are, or would be, a better team without him. That's just barking. And finding a replacement with the same attacking skills and defensive attributes will be far from easy.

Have to agree with this ...he will not be easily replaced . We will get another striker who can score goals but getting someone who has his ability at defending set plays , holding the ball up when up front on his own etc etc will not come cheaply and anyone who thinks we will now go out spending millions on players is heading for a reality check. I dontr think we should pay silly money and if thats what he wants then goodbye and thanks for everything , but surely we can get close enough to persuade him. Unlike others I think given a choice not governed by the dollar he would want to stay ....made it pretty clear in his interview on the Club DVD that this was the case.......like he said ...'who wouldn't?'

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

We can see how much Murray has given to the club, we don't dispute that. But like myself, I think people are generally worried about the clubs finances. We have suffered enough pain over the years, and I never want to see this happen to the club again.
Can you remember the headlines from the Argus, "Brighton and Hove Albion up for sale" It had photos of our whole team up for sale. It was a sad day for the club, I could not believe what I was reading.

Yes I know things are different now, but we still need to be sensible. As bloom said he is no Abramovich, and it's true. We all need to be realistic of who we can buy, and what we can pay, and I think most of us are.
If we cannot afford it, we cannot afford it. Does that mean we lack ambition, most certainly not. It means we are trying to be sensible and run the club as a proper business because eventually the clubs that are not run properly will suffer.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think we can all assume he will go. That, and the last few results and performances, is, for me, putting a bit of a downer on what has been one of the most exciting seasons since I have been supporting the Club.

In the Argus, Gus is talking about getting in new strikers as his number one priority. I would love to see at least one striker join us in the next couple of weeks, so we can all be sure that we will not be missing him next season, and can enjoy our summer holidays knowing we will be going to a fantastic new stadium with the fire power we need to win matches.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
We can see how much Murray has given to the club, we don't dispute that. But like myself, I think people are generally worried about the clubs finances. We have suffered enough pain over the years, and I never want to see this happen to the club again.
Can you remember the headlines from the Argus, "Brighton and Hove Albion up for sale" It had photos of our whole team up for sale. It was a sad day for the club, I could not believe what I was reading.

Yes I know things are different now, but we still need to be sensible. As bloom said he is no Abramovich, and it's true. We all need to be realistic of who we can buy, and what we can pay, and I think most of us are.
If we cannot afford it, we cannot afford it. Does that mean we lack ambition, most certainly not. It means we are trying to be sensible and run the club as a proper business because eventually the clubs that are not run properly will suffer.

This - and many times over. It amazes me the number of people that fail to realise that whatever we offer Murray will have implications for future contract negotiations with other players. Let's not go back to the years when we paid more than we could afford and then ended up in a spiral of decline - one player, even a good one like Glenn, is simply not worth it.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I agree with you, the only niggle I have in the back of my mind is Swindon's sensible policy which basically got them relegated because they sold Greer as they refused to discuss terms and obviously not replacing key players like Paynter and Austin.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree with that. The club have made their best offer to him but he's being ridiculous with his wage demand.

How do you know they have made their best offer and how do you know he is being ridiculous. Do you know the exact figures being talked about or, like most, are you speculating on other people's rumours. This is a negotiating process and neither side is going to broadcast their true hand to the media. So Murray doesn't rant and rave about the albion, so what. He is an employee just like all the other players. Pity the poor fools that get suckered into believing that just because some shallow mug kisses his badge when he scores that makes him a bleed for the club he plays for.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think we can all assume he will go. That, and the last few results and performances, is, for me, putting a bit of a downer on what has been one of the most exciting seasons since I have been supporting the Club.

In the Argus, Gus is talking about getting in new strikers as his number one priority. I would love to see at least one striker join us in the next couple of weeks, so we can all be sure that we will not be missing him next season, and can enjoy our summer holidays knowing we will be going to a fantastic new stadium with the fire power we need to win matches.

Highly unlikely that we will sign anyone in the next few weeks. Firstly, all football contracts run until the 30th June. Secondly, as much as we are an attractive proposition now, any player worth his salt will wait to see what other offers come in between now and much nearer the start of the season.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I reckon;

Spot on, but Wood must go too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here