Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Lush

Mods' Pet
I tend to get the impression, that Gus is really not that bothered about this issue. At the end of the day, Murray is unproven above div1 level. He may well be good enough and I for one think he is but im not so sure Gus shares this opion and in Gus I trust.

I'm not sure I trust anything Gus says about contracts, unless it's 'ees complicated'. When Inigo was talking to Southampton to see what they had to offer, Gus went into a complete huff and said he wouldn't play for us again. Worked though. :thumbsup:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
If I was Glenn I'd think very carefully before rejecting the Albion, he is, by his own admission a complicated character and would take some time to blend in elsewhere and build a rapport with his team mates and supporters especially if they think they are getting a 25 a season man.
Leaving a successful team with a bright future for a few extra thousand a week (which after tax/NI stamps/agent's cut etc is less than half) is risky, he's good for sure but I think he would do better to stay with us, prove he's shit hot in the championship and then move for even better money if someone wants him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's good that Gus is being pro-active.

Seagulls.co.uk
"However, if we start getting the players in that we are looking at then he will get fewer possibilities. If we are without Glenn I need to bring in another striker and if we can get another player, the offer might not be there anymore for Glenn."

Is that second sentence a clarification of the first, or is Gus saying that if he gets the people he's after, Glenn will be down the pecking order?

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Argus:

Albion are locked in a battle with Glen Murray over the worth of their top goalscorer.

The League One title winners have offered the out of contract striker a substantial pay rise in a deal they feel fairly reflects the value of a player unproven at Championship level.

Murray and his recently appointed new representative are unhappy with the offer and he could go elsewhere with Millwall favourites to land the 27 year old if agreement cannot be reached with the Seagulls.

A spokesman for Murray claimed 'If they come up with an offer which represents his market value, in line with other clubs, then he would be more than happy to sign because he loves playing for Brighton. He wants to stay, there is no doubt about that. He loves the fans and has an enormous amount of respect for the club but at the moment the offer is nowhere near the market rate of what Glenn deserves for where he is at'.

Albion are reluctant to increase the deal on the table as they believe they can land a more experienced and proven forward on the same terms.

Millwall,Crystal Palace, and Southampton are monitoring the situation closely.

Tell him to fcuk off Gus he aint what good

macky

Dec 28, 2004
he comes across as a sulky bastard maybe its better he go's. Because one thing we will need next season is team spirit

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Me and my old man passed Murray alone in the car park at Withdean after the Leyton game and congratulated him on his hatrick that day,this was some time after the final whistle and he was going towards the sportsman ,match ball in hand.

He thanked us and was bearing in mind we were total strangers i'd say a reserved quiet type,perhaps he comes across as moody but i did not get that impression.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
For those who are saying we will have to pay a million pound etc. to replace him, how do you know that he isn't asking for that as his signing on fee? He (and his agent) will know what Brighton will have to pay to replace him.

Also how do we know how this will affect other players contracts? Lets say Gordon Greer, our captain, when he signed last summer from another team expecting to be pushing for the play offs, he may have insisted on a clause in his contract to say that his wages will always match the highest earner. Bennett may also have that in his new contract, who knows? So if Murrays wages double so may others. All complete guess work but this might not be just about Murray's wages.

I heard from someone in the know about 3 months ago that Murray was on 3.5k p/w and that Brighton were offering him double that on his new contract, i dont know if Brighton have offered more since.

If Murray goes, then thanks for everything Glenn you have been fantastic, but we have been down the road of paying players too much before and i would much rather have a club to support than just memories of how good Glenn Murray was.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is that second sentence a clarification of the first, or is Gus saying that if he gets the people he's after, Glenn will be down the pecking order?

I read it as Glenn will not be first choice if the players Gus is targeting are recruited. Maybe that reflects his contract offer, in that experienced Championship or above strikers are being sought and not all our eggs are being kept in the Murray basket.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
he comes across as a sulky bastard maybe its better he go's. Because one thing we will need next season is team spirit

Funny now you come across as a miserable git, first impressions and all that.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I seem to recall Gus saying something on tv like Murray's on a free , he's in a great position, remember he'll cost nothing and then he smiled. Now either Gus is not worried by it or else he has something up his sleeve. Either way Albion move on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Glenn has been wanting out for years. His heart has never been at the club. He is a mercenary, just in it for the money and nothing else it appears. Loyalty, honour and dedication to his profession and club is not in Glenn's dictionary. I will be pleased if he goes as he is a disruptive influence in the squad and clearly thinks he is better than he is. We will easily replace him and any decent league one striker would have got 22 this season upfront in this side. Glad to be shot of him now. I am pretty confident Poyet will not put up with any of his bullshit.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I seem to recall Gus saying something on tv like Murray's on a free , he's in a great position, remember he'll cost nothing and then he smiled. Now either Gus is not worried by it or else he has something up his sleeve. Either way Albion move on.

This

I would very happy to have 2 championship proven strikers, but what a back up player to have in Murray!

Anyway, I have faith and trust in what Gus is doing!

:banana:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Glenn has been wanting out for years. His heart has never been at the club. He is a mercenary, just in it for the money and nothing else it appears. Loyalty, honour and dedication to his profession and club is not in Glenn's dictionary. I will be pleased if he goes as he is a disruptive influence in the squad and clearly thinks he is better than he is. We will easily replace him and any decent league one striker would have got 22 this season upfront in this side. Glad to be shot of him now. I am pretty confident Poyet will not put up with any of his bullshit.

ooooooh wheeeeeeeeeer ......i just about agree with that really .......it will never be the same if he stays anyway , he may as well f*** off to leeds or derby or whoever it is who can offer him so much more than us.....

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
It's intriguing how many of you comment on the fact he has no Championship experience and wouldn't see him as a huge loss.

Incidentally, how many players in your squad have positive, Championship experience? I could probably count them on one hand.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Huh? Are you talking about the same Glenn Murray? How exactly has he been a disruptive influence, and especially how has he been one this season? How has he shown a lack of honour and dedication to his profession? What has he done to show he thinks he is better than us? I know I'm not someone who buys into the idea that any player, even Glenn is irreplaceable, and the negatives you present just don't fit with what I've seen of him.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

He's hid his desire to leave very well this year, considering the 22 goals he's banged in. He's entitled to examine his options, saying he has no honour and is not dedicated to his profession is frankly a load of bollocks. If he wasn't dedicated to being a pro, how would he manage to put in the performances he has done?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

You know sometimes you really do talk some rubbish, Murray is no more of a mercenary than any other player. Unlike most people footballers have short careers that can be even shorter due to injury. The fact that the bloke would move for more money is nothing to do with loyalty, it's just a man trying to do the best he can for himself financially. He thinks he's as good as a manager who is prepare to offer him the best terms thinks he is. I like many other would be sorry to see him go but you cannot deny how much of a part he has had in this season. To talk of matters like honour and dedication who do you think he is ? A knight of the round table ? Well we all know how much honour, loyalty and dedication the last Knight who played for us had.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You know sometimes you really do talk some rubbish, Murray is no more of a mercenary than any other player. Unlike most people footballers have short careers that can be even shorter due to injury. The fact that the bloke would move for more money is nothing to do with loyalty, it's just a man trying to do the best he can for himself financially. He thinks he's as good as a manager who is prepare to offer him the best terms thinks he is. I like many other would be sorry to see him go but you cannot deny how much of a part he has had in this season. To talk of matters like honour and dedication who do you think he is ? A knight of the round table ? Well we all know how much honour, loyalty and dedication the last Knight who played for us had.

What do you mean by only sometimes!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here