Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I tend to think the longer the negotiations go on, the more chance we have of resigning him. If he really wanted to reject our offer, then he would have said so and agree to look at other clubs' offers. Good luck to him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If he signs for another club hope they are patient as he takes a while to settle in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have read nothing new that is any different than has been said all along so why do people suddenly turn on him and think that we are going to sign another Messi or similar for next to no money.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some of the stuff on here is unbelievable!

Give the guy a break he has completed his contract!!! The negotiations were always going to be delayed until the end of the season as what division we were in would influence any deal put on the table. Murray has received the clubs offer and is now weighing up his options a perfectly sensible thing to do in his circumstance. Nothing says he will not eventually accept the clubs deal but just because he has not snapped the clubs hands off you would think he had already joined palace

Its amazing how quickly people on here turn on a player whatever he does I wish him well as he has been a fantastic player for us
Agree with most of what you said but there is no reason the deal couldn't have been sorted at the start of the season. All they need to do is build in a few caveats eg you get this if we don't go up and this is we do. You get this if you score 15 goals and this if you get 20 and so. It's not rocket science. They probably have it built into any sponsorship deals as the higher up we are the bigger the profile and exposure for the sponsor

I'm sure Gus will sign someone better if he goes, we are not tin pot anymore and will be able to attract much better players moving forwards.

Seriously Murrays good but he's not that bloody good.

That's right because the last '20' goal a season striker we were all looking for the club to sign turned out to be Sandaza!!!!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus should tell Muzza that this offer is only on the table for a limited time and give him a deadline (the same as he did with Calde) . The difference this time around is Muzza will know that if he doesn't sign Gus has a replacement lined up who will take the deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus should tell Muzza that this offer is only on the table for a limited time and give him a deadline (the same as he did with Calde) . The difference this time around is Muzza will know that if he doesn't sign Gus has a replacement lined up who will take the deal.

Has he?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Would love Glen to stay.

I Really like how the club is handling this situation, and whether he stays or goes I think that is actually more important for us long-term than the signing of any one player.

:albion1:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

Give the guy a break he has completed his contract!!! The negotiations were always going to be delayed until the end of the season as what division we were in would influence any deal put on the table. Murray has received the clubs offer and is now weighing up his options a perfectly sensible thing to do in his circumstance. Nothing says he will not eventually accept the clubs deal but just because he has not snapped the clubs hands off you would think he had already joined palace

Its amazing how quickly people on here turn on a player whatever he does I wish him well as he has been a fantastic player for us

well said, totally agree.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Apologies if this has been mentioned already. Too old to read it all! Glenn has done brialliantly for us and he only has a short good money earning period ahead of him and he must do what is best for him and his family. Gus will do the right thing for us!! If it is Glenn I will be happy and supportive. If not then perhaps we have exciting times ahead?.....

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
The last Deloitte's figures compiled from audited accounts had average championship wages at £5,300 per week or £275,000 per annum.

That was based on all first team squad players including 18 year olds.

A typical payroll of clubs in that division similar to BHAFC without EPL Parachute money is £12m.

I hope Tony/Gus keep him with his not-gready last big contract aspirations.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
The club has made an offer to Glen based on what it thinks he is worth and the budget it wants to stick to for a first team squad. No one player is more important than the team as a whole. It seems sensible for the club to make sure it doesn't run up big debts, go bust and have to rely on the PFA to pay players wages. There are plenty of clubs, particularly in The Championship who are paying too much on players wages and this is unsustainable with TV monies being reduced from 2012. Players and their agents need a reality check, as its only a matter of time before some clubs go bust and don't survive. The club is more important to me than any individual player. It would be great if Glen stays as Gus can get the best out of him (our previous managers didn't), but if Glen wants to leave because earning more money is more important to him than playing in a side that suits his style of play, in a luxury new stadium, with fans that appreciate him and have got used to his languid demeanour, best of luck to him.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The club has made an offer to Glen based on what it thinks he is worth and the budget it wants to stick to for a first team squad. No one player is more important than the team as a whole. It seems sensible for the club to make sure it doesn't run up big debts, go bust and have to rely on the PFA to pay players wages. There are plenty of clubs, particularly in The Championship who are paying too much on players wages and this is unsustainable with TV monies being reduced from 2012. Players and their agents need a reality check, as its only a matter of time before some clubs go bust and don't survive. The club is more important to me than any individual player. It would be great if Glen stays as Gus can get the best out of him (our previous managers didn't), but if Glen wants to leave because earning more money is more important to him than playing in a side that suits his style of play, in a luxury new stadium, with fans that appreciate him and have got used to his languid demeanour, best of luck to him.

Well said. I am glad the club are sticking to it. If the money is not good enough, then go, just go. It's gone on far too long now.
Wages are completely out of control and everyone is getting far too greedy. I bet his agent never thought it would be this difficult to strike a deal.

Last edited:

And the irony is, that if he were to head out for more money elsewhere - the same posters would condemn him for a lack of loyalty!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'd rather we paid Murray more than lash out £1m on Hoskins. We know what we have got already.

As others have said, it's not just about goals, it's all round play. He is such an intelligent reader of the game, he'll be a natural in the Championship. The defensive work he puts in too often goes unnoticed, but he could play there he is so good.

At 27 and at his peak, this is going to be his biggest career move. Realistically, he won't play for anyone else in the prem, so I can understand him wanting the best deal he can get.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
If he signs for another club hope they are patient as he takes a while to settle in.

Yes, it was really annoying, having to wait 45 minutes for him to score 2 in his full debut.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's good that Gus is being pro-active.

Seagulls.co.uk

"However, if we start getting the players in that we are looking at then he will get fewer possibilities. If we are without Glenn I need to bring in another striker and if we can get another player, the offer might not be there anymore for Glenn."

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'd rather we paid Murray more than lash out £1m on Hoskins. We know what we have got already.

As others have said, it's not just about goals, it's all round play. He is such an intelligent reader of the game, he'll be a natural in the Championship. The defensive work he puts in too often goes unnoticed, but he could play there he is so good.

At 27 and at his peak, this is going to be his biggest career move. Realistically, he won't play for anyone else in the prem, so I can understand him wanting the best deal he can get.

Very good point,Murray wins endless headers defending corners at the back.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This is all about wrangling, I'd be rather surprised if Palace or Millwall could offer more than we could however Derby or QPR then yes (especially the latter assuming they do go up). No good in breaking the club's salary scale for the sake of one player, you set a precedent that makes it open season for any player to demand more money. I don't blame Glen but I don't blame the club either, it's part of the game.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I tend to get the impression, that Gus is really not that bothered about this issue. At the end of the day, Murray is unproven above div1 level. He may well be good enough and I for one think he is but im not so sure Gus shares this opion and in Gus I trust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports