Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If he goes it wil be to another club in the south east because he is settled with a new girlfriend who is based in London. The ex of one of the London Wasps.

I tend to think he will stay - but equally won't be labelling him a judas if he decides to move for more money.

Frankly, if the guy is more interested in money than wearing the stripes and advancing his game under a top Manager, then it is best that he just goes. Yes, money is obviously important, but I cannot believe he has been made a bad offer (all be it not as good as he could get elsewhere), and surely he cares about playing as part of a team going places?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If he goes it wil be to another club in the south east because he is settled with a new girlfriend who is based in London. The ex of one of the London Wasps.

I tend to think he will stay - but equally won't be labelling him a judas if he decides to move for more money.

Well said Walt

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Playing poker with the Lizard is not recommended. If Muzza wants to hold out for £10k a week then Palace are welcome to him. I don't think any other manager will get out of him what Gus has. He would go back to his lazy, bad, sulky old ways and Palace can foot the bill. I have no fear that Gus won't be able to replace him.
That said, I would like him to stay, 'cos this year he really proved he can do the business, so long as his demands are within Gus's wage structure.
This
I can see him signing and then him going back to these ways,he's worked his socks off this season and that i find very strange as the other two years nothing much happened bar the sulking and laziness and not forgetting transfer requests,maybe this is why we won't offer to much.I do also believe gus has some great strikers in his sights to replace them all:D

I don't believe the wage cap is 6.5k either as that is way to low,reckon its 10k a week:)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
This
I can see him signing and then him going back to these ways,he's worked his socks off this season and that i find very strange as the other two years nothing much happened bar the sulking and laziness and not forgetting transfer requests,maybe this is why we won't offer to much.I do also believe gus has some great strikers in his sights to replace them all:D

I don't believe the wage cap is 6.5k either as that is way to low,reckon its 10k a week:)

What sulking and laziness?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It's not 10k.
If it was Murray would have signed.
6.5 k is not a million miles away from what Glenn is asking. However he asked his agent to put the feelers out to see what he could get.
As I've said before although Palace are interested they also are not happy to pay much more than us for a striker unproven in the championship.

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
It's not 10k.
If it was Murray would have signed.
6.5 k is not a million miles away from what Glenn is asking. However he asked his agent to put the feelers out to see what he could get.
As I've said before although Palace are interested they also are not happy to pay much more than us for a striker unproven in the championship.

Stupid question alert BUT when you talk about £6.5k per week, is that just during the season or throughout the year (£338k per year)?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are we being a little harsh on Glen? If your current employer offered you say a 3% pay rise in recognition for a good years work and then a rvial firm came in to head hunt you and offer you say a 10% rise - would you not consider it and try to get more out of your exisiting employer?

Loyalty in football is now very rare. Likewise do the Albion risk upsetting other players by paying Glen substantially more, I don;t think they should or will.

I still feel this will run on for a good few weeks yet, it's one thing other fairly local clubs "monitoring the situation" but have they actually offered him a better deal?

I trust Gus and Tony to do what's right for the Albion - going to be an interesting Summer!

You're right. People seem to forget that players are just employees of the club that pay their wages. Very rarely are they devoted fans and get to spend their whole career with the team they support. Murray has been exceptional for us and I believe the biggest contribution to his great season this year has been fitness. Not only maintaining it but avoiding injuries and also at the end of last year getting those hernias sorted once and for all.

Starting to lose sympathy with this whole deal now. If he goes, he goes. To me it just shows a lack of loyalty and greed on the agents part.

Please don't blame the club for not acting quick enough. Because we would soon blame the club if we ended up having to sell everyone if our bid failed just because we went overboard paying silly wages.

The sooner some sort of wage cap is implemented the better, because we are seeing now the true cost of what it means to be in the Championship. Wage cap would stop all this crap, and everyone would be equal and a player would look at the club before the wages.

And how will a wage cap help. United will still be able to pay the biggest wages and therefore attract all the top players and the dregs will just filter down. If there was a wage cap, we would be in league two as our income was restricted by Withdean.

With regard to a lot of the earlier posts on this thread, it is unbelievable how quickly so many can turn against a player that is just trying to secure the most important deal of his career. There seems to be some on here that think players should bleed blue and white stripes. Also, where has it been suggested that Murray is asking the club to break it's wage structure, if they even have one. All the article states is that the club have offered what they think he is worth and he thinks he is worth more. That's called negotiations for those that don't know.

If he goes, it might be worth remember that it is not always wise to leave contracts till the last minute. Not only could we lose him but we could lose him with no transfer fee. Had we negotiated at the begining of the season and got him signed up then we would probably have been quids in as I doubt that Murray expected he would have as good and as influential season as he did.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The first two years he was a sulky lazy git and injury prone,of course wanting to move back up north was a reason to be like this,he looks like a misrable git aswel:)

Can we really blame muzza for our own medical staff misdiagnosing a double hernia :facepalm:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Did he want to sign a new deal early in the season, don't seem to remember that. I think he was waiting to see how the season went,now he thinks he's incontrol, but someof the comments from Gus point to the fact that the club are not overly worried. Early on he could have said let's get this sorted by the new year or I'm off at the end as a free agent, nothing said , silence.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Some of the stuff on here is unbelievable!

Give the guy a break he has completed his contract!!! The negotiations were always going to be delayed until the end of the season as what division we were in would influence any deal put on the table. Murray has received the clubs offer and is now weighing up his options a perfectly sensible thing to do in his circumstance. Nothing says he will not eventually accept the clubs deal but just because he has not snapped the clubs hands off you would think he had already joined palace

Its amazing how quickly people on here turn on a player whatever he does I wish him well as he has been a fantastic player for us

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Some of the stuff on here is unbelievable!

Give the guy a break he has completed his contract!!! The negotiations were always going to be delayed until the end of the season as what division we were in would influence any deal put on the table. Murray has received the clubs offer and is now weighing up his options a perfectly sensible thing to do in his circumstance. Nothing says he will not eventually accept the clubs deal but just because he has not snapped the clubs hands off you would think he had already joined palace

Its amazing how quickly people on here turn on a player whatever he does I wish him well as he has been a fantastic player for us

Without doubt the best post on this thread imo. I agree 100%.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Pay the money.
Is the the best current player and adored by the knowledgeable fans.
Without him we've seen what happens.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I'm sure Gus will sign someone better if he goes, we are not tin pot anymore and will be able to attract much better players moving forwards.

Seriously Murrays good but he's not that bloody good.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Another player has decided they are bigger than the club, chuck him on the pile next to forster and lets get some fresh talent in.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
let him go....if he cannot agree terms

Lets not forget glen for what he did for our club, if he can't agree terms then fair do's so be it, lets wish him all the best where ever he plays his football, i am sure the manager and the board know his worth, and have their eyes on other strikers if he decides to move on.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Let's get those much better new players, playing with Murray.

No transfer fee to be paid out for retaining Murray compared to buying in, leaves a stack of cash to reward him and give the 27-year-old a great last contract in his football career. He deserves it. Class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports