Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
My worry is not that we couldn't find a replacement for Murray who is technically as good or better, it's more the overall blend of the team. If we lose Murray and Bennett then two important components will be gone from the team that has done so well this season. Even if we go out and find individual players who are rated more highly it will disturb that balance. That's where Gus earns his money though, I guess.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've got to pop out now Walt, but if you can scan and publish the contract offers that you were quoting from, it will make a few people on here who are plucking figures from mid air look a bit silly :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well whatever the figures are I'm not convinced by the whole premise that we can get someone as good as Murray for the same/less.
Hope Tony is just playing poker, and Glenn blinks first. :)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well whatever the figures are I'm not convinced by the whole premise that we can get someone as good as Murray for the same/less.
Hope Tony is just playing poker, and Glenn blinks first. :)

Totally agree with that.

Glenn is easily the best striker we've had since BZ and to get someone better might cost us a lot more than some think ... and still be a gamble.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Gus reckoned he had something to prove assumably, he's proved it and now holds the whip hand it seems.

Exactly. Prove your worth, show us you're a 20 goal a season striker, improve your all round game and add a defensive capability to it. He has risen to all these challenges. Did the club not know what he would be worth on the open market? Are they really saying "You've done all we asked but we had no idea that a striker who could do that was worth X"?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyet: Its Decision

By Will Jago

Gus Poyet has said it may take time to determine Glenn Murray's future, but insists the decision now lies with the striker.

The Uruguayan confirmed that the club have made Albion's top scorer their best offer, and it is now up to Murray if he signs amidst interest from other Championship clubs.

Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "It's not about whether we want the player or not. If a player's services are not needed I have told them that they will not be getting a contract. We have made the best offer we can to Glenn, so now it's in his hands.

"I can see the negotiations will go right to the wire. We were in a situation where we had the fifth highest budget in League One; we are going to another level so will increase the budget, but we are going to be middle or maybe even worse [in terms of budget], depending on which teams are relegated from the Premier League.

"Our level of payments will be less than the top ten or 12 in the Championship so a player like Glenn, who has scored 22 goals, will get some better offers. I cannot control that.

"It's not like I can go and offer him what every other team is offering him and that's something we have explained. We have tried to sort something out but we have a limit and we have to work within the resources of that limit.

"However, if we start getting the players in that we are looking at then he will get fewer possibilities. If we are without Glenn I need to bring in another striker and if we can get another player, the offer might not be there anymore for Glenn."

Poyet addressed the press today for the first time since arriving back from their Marbella training camp and he praised the club on a beneficial trip to Spain.

"We got a lot from the trip. We try to adapt to circumstances which include pitches, the weather and training grounds and this trip gave us that chance to adapt to different surroundings. It also gave us the chance to stay together as a group for the whole day, over three or four days.

"We used that time in the best way, whether that was to be together - where we had meetings to talk about the season - in groups or with individuals to talk about contracts.

"From the point of view of the staff it was very good and I'm sure it was from the players' point of view too. It was a great decision by the club to go to Spain."

I have a feeling Murray will sign. He has a girlfriend who lives in the same area as me whom I beleive is from Brighton and also has a son (again from Brighton and that I have coached recently) so it will be more difficult to move this time around as opposed to last time when "baybe and grayve" were the motivations for his transfer request. The man is a superb player. He is predominantly a target man, who has also managed to notch up some 22 goals this season, a phenomenal effort. People saying we can replace Glenn with relative ease are very naive. YES, he is the best player since Bobby Zamora and it is the case that without Glenn spearheading the attack we look a bit limp, lacklustre and without sufficient bite and movement when attacking up top.

Glenn leads the line better than anyother striker. Even if he didn't score half the goals he has done this year, paired with a striker in the ilk of Barnes or Forster as he has been he is a constant source of goals. He flicks the ball on better than Wood who is as big, if not bigger than him. He drops off the defence and finds space between them and the midfield better than any striker I have watched outisde the Premiership and the final and most important thing is that he is a key part in how we DEFEND!!! 9/10 he clears the ball from corners or free kicks better than any other Albion player and let's face it, as demonstrated against Bournemouth, Southampton, Huddersfield, and Sheffield Wednesdsay... Without retaining possesion we are generally piss poor. We are a team that needs the ball. Most teams form of defense is to clear the lines, push up high and pressure the opposition. We however defend through keeping the ball and without Glenn winning the headers, dropping off the defense and passing the ball to the midfield, that is near impossible.

We desperatley need Glenn next season. He is much, much more than a goalscorer. He may be a bit northern and miserable (like me) and prefer to keep his head down but he also works tremendously hard, on the pitch and in training (particularly in the gym... HE IS A BEAST). When Glenn is on the pitch we are a much better team. When Kish was on the pitch everything revolved around him even if he was at right back (remember Charlton?) Let's please not lose both. Come on Glenn. Sign up!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. I don't have any beef with Murray. He's 27 and entitled to seek the best deal he can at his age.
2. I'm confident that - between them - Poyet and Bloom will sort this situation, whether that means keeping him or selling him.
3. The club is in a strong position to attract quality. Norwich went up from L1, changed the bulk of their side and still got promoted to the Prem.
4. I hope Gus does have a replacement lined up.

Overall, I think he'll go, which will be a shame. It will be doubly worse if he goes to Palace or the Saints.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
If he's stupid enough to go, then let him. The fans love him, Gus is the best manager he will ever work under, new stadium and big investment coming into our team. If the northern monkey can't see this past an extra 2 grand a week or whatever then just let him walk. We WILL find better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyet: Its Decision

By Will Jago

Gus Poyet has said it may take time to determine Glenn Murray's future, but insists the decision now lies with the striker.

The Uruguayan confirmed that the club have made Albion's top scorer their best offer, and it is now up to Murray if he signs amidst interest from other Championship clubs.

Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "It's not about whether we want the player or not. If a player's services are not needed I have told them that they will not be getting a contract. We have made the best offer we can to Glenn, so now it's in his hands.

"I can see the negotiations will go right to the wire. We were in a situation where we had the fifth highest budget in League One; we are going to another level so will increase the budget, but we are going to be middle or maybe even worse [in terms of budget], depending on which teams are relegated from the Premier League.

"Our level of payments will be less than the top ten or 12 in the Championship so a player like Glenn, who has scored 22 goals, will get some better offers. I cannot control that.

"It's not like I can go and offer him what every other team is offering him and that's something we have explained. We have tried to sort something out but we have a limit and we have to work within the resources of that limit.

"However, if we start getting the players in that we are looking at then he will get fewer possibilities. If we are without Glenn I need to bring in another striker and if we can get another player, the offer might not be there anymore for Glenn."

Poyet addressed the press today for the first time since arriving back from their Marbella training camp and he praised the club on a beneficial trip to Spain.

"We got a lot from the trip. We try to adapt to circumstances which include pitches, the weather and training grounds and this trip gave us that chance to adapt to different surroundings. It also gave us the chance to stay together as a group for the whole day, over three or four days.

"We used that time in the best way, whether that was to be together - where we had meetings to talk about the season - in groups or with individuals to talk about contracts.

"From the point of view of the staff it was very good and I'm sure it was from the players' point of view too. It was a great decision by the club to go to Spain."

that just about lays it on the line doesn't it.......??i think he should stay , there are so many reasons he should stay and only one reason he's going to leave.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's stupid about doubling your money and signing for, say, Leeds or Forest? We will not be able to compete on salary with some of the big sides in the Championship, but that hasn't stopped Blackpool, Burnley, Swansea etc from being competitive in recent seasons.

If he goes, he goes. Just as long as we get a good deal out of it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
What's stupid about doubling your money and signing for, say, Leeds or Forest? We will not be able to compete on salary with some of the big sides in the Championship, but that hasn't stopped Blackpool, Burnley, Swansea etc from being competitive in recent seasons.

If he goes, he goes. Just as long as we get a good deal out of it.

What sort of good deal can we expect to get for an out of contract player ?

Isn't it just boots in bag,live in Brighton,play for Millwall,Soton,Palace or whoever?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Murray has to decide himself ,is the grass greener eslewhere.Here he's a manager who knows what he has. Taken a gamble go somewhere esle for more money and maybe it all goes pear shape. What if he stays and is injured in the first game,Poyet will have to have a plan B anyway or maybe with all the strikers being released they must be planning to sign at least 2 new forwards and who's to say he wants to play the same attacking formation.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Generally I'm happy with whatever Poyet/Bloom decide, they know better what is out there for similar money, as they'll have agents on the phone 24/7.

The one slight flaw in Albion's negotiating position is this idea that he deserves less because he is unproven at Championship level. In some cases (and this might be one), it's just that players never had a chance before at that level (several Peterboro players spring to mind). Throw in the extra evidence that several Championship clubs are liking what they saw of Murray enough to be tempted with bigger money, plus the fact he is an all-round player and not a one-trick pony, and this shouldn't be too relevant.

If he does go I can easily see it being Palace, Millwall or Saints, don't think that will enter his calculations much. Mind you, nothing to stop us trying to gazump Palace for James Vaughan, since we are big-time now...I know where I'd rather play, Falmer or that dump.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What sort of good deal can we expect to get for an out of contract player ?

Isn't it just boots in bag,live in Brighton,play for Millwall,Soton,Palace or whoever?

I mean move him on to a club where there won't be any shit fallout, i.e. not Palace, Southampton, and maybe a club that we might want to do business with, i.e. if it's Millwall maybe we get in poll position for Andros Townsend, or if it's QPR then Helguson.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If he goes it wil be to another club in the south east because he is settled with a new girlfriend who is based in London. The ex of one of the London Wasps.

I tend to think he will stay - but equally won't be labelling him a judas if he decides to move for more money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The one slight flaw in Albion's negotiating position is this idea that he deserves less because he is unproven at Championship level. In some cases (and this might be one), it's just that players never had a chance before at that level (several Peterboro players spring to mind). .

Interesting example. (Peterboro came straight back down!)

I mean move him on to a club where there won't be any shit fallout, i.e. not Palace, Southampton, and maybe a club that we might want to do business with, i.e. if it's Millwall maybe we get in poll position for Andros Townsend, or if it's QPR then Helguson.

You don't seem to understand. He's a free agent. 'We' have no say at all in where he goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here