Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray article in Argus today

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We had a wage cap. Poyet says as much in the article quoted by Mejona....
Palace have never had a lowly budget which is why they've gone into administration twice.

I was told that the club offered double his League 1 wages, but Palace offered a lot more. Don't forget that a lot of players had promotion clauses written into their contracts and so were automatically kept on. That didn't emerge for quite a few months when it was realised that Dicker etc were still here for another two years.

Well, it would be great to know how the salary package CMS accepted compares with the one offered to Murray. I understood that CMS broke our previous salary cap and became our highest ever player. If that is the case, then it undermines your argument.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, it would be great to know how the salary package CMS accepted compares with the one offered to Murray. I understood that CMS broke our previous salary cap and became our highest ever player. If that is the case, then it undermines your argument.

CMS was signed nearly two months after Murray had signed for Palace. He might well have been the highest paid player but that doesn't mean he got more than Murray was offered.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
CMS was signed nearly two months after Murray had signed for Palace. He might well have been the highest paid player but that doesn't mean he got more than Murray was offered.

That is true, he might have been, but CMS had more suitors at the time, there was more competition to sign him, it would be a surprise if his package was less than what we offered Murray.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I still find it quite incredible that we let Murray go because of a disagreement on wages. Probably the worst and most costly decision the club has made in the past 50 years.

If we had hung on to him there is a good chance we would have achieved promotion to the Premier League.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Following a season in the Premiership most likely we would have been relegated and hanging on in Division 1 after spending £millions,just look at the clubs promoted last year and how we almost went out of the league following promotion to the top division [Before Premiership,for those who support only dates back to the Amex opening]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's fair enough. I can only put forward the info I know is true. Just frustrates me to see a complete fabrication of a very simple story constantly touted on here.

To KNOW it's true you must have the ear of Poyet Murray or Bloom,. Have you? Anything else would be hearsay and therefore you could not know it was true.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Looks like we can now close the Murray return threads for good...."Glenn Murray set for new Palace deal".

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=20103

Mmmm....or is that a Palarse attempt to make a view quid more for him? It's hardly a new idea for a club to extend players contracts by offering them an increased salary, bearing in mind they might have no intention of keeping him, hence not paying any increase, but making him more expensive to buy. Happens all the time, in fact I'd suggest it probably means they are looking to unload..... time will tell. ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mmmm....or is that a Palarse attempt to make a view quid more for him? It's hardly a new idea for a club to extend players contracts by offering them an increased salary, bearing in mind they might have no intention of keeping him, hence not paying any increase, but making him more expensive to buy. Happens all the time, in fact I'd suggest it probably means they are looking to unload..... time will tell. ???

We didn't bother going down that road though did we? Didn't we leave it right to the death before offering him a new deal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here