[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m not sure it’s true that you can’t libel the dead but I wouldn’t have left my Mrs in a room alone with him.
Ah got you - he used to get badger out at party’s and luzz mashed potato - all becoming clear now… bastard

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At a crossroads in your life?
And, of course, I got my Hannah's mixed up with my Noeles.

1697487937124.png

:love:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
<not quite mundane, but>
I used to project manage Sainsburys road shows at regional country and exhibition food shows - The Royal Highland being one.

We'd have allotted frequency's for demo mic's that the on-stage chef's would have, and in the middle of one show, we were interrupted by someone else using our frequency, so i marched off to find the female culprit wittering over my Saino's chef.

Eventually i found the offending food truck and 2 noisy Scottish women presenters playing up to a fair size crowd - The night before, i'd been the only Engerlander watching us beat Columbia in Holiday Inn Express in Edinburgh, amongst a load of Scots cheering on the oppo (inc one in an actual Columbia top..) and i now had to go front of this truck, and cough/ahem my way into interupting the brusk Scottish presenter's on stage in my very English/Brighton accent - They didnt take it well, broadcasting to the audience about how i was Sasenach telling us what to do/Sainso's is a corporate monster/shutting down the little people/making all 'your' live's worse etc and i got rounded booed by this partizan crowd..

After her bit of theater at my expense and my threat of shutting her down (we were the big players/sponsors back then), i got her to shut the mic shut off, and The Two Fat Ladies only lasted another year..

I went for drink with a work colleague in Central London years ago, her friend Rob turned up to join us . He was a very shy chap, i asked what he'd been upto , his rely " Just in recording studio " I sought clarification and it turned he was with Kylie Minogue and was Rob Davis, formerly of Mud.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Queued up behind Brian Ferry in Pulborough Sainsburys, obviously had been sent out to do the weekend shop as his trolley was overflowing. Think he has his hair tinted as it looked very 1973..

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Used to work in a petrol station as a student and had a few come in. Served Katie Price in her pink Range Rover. I said to Paul Merton, "Are you Paul Merton". He said 'I look like him, I sound like him, I live in his house but he doesn't know I'm there".

Stood behind Richard Hammond while in line waiting for a US Visa at the embassy. He was chatting to everyone.

I let John Hartson get on an escalator at Heathrow before me, saying for some reason 'After you, John Hartson'. Had a little chat and he was actually a nice guy and didn't kick me in the head.

Asked Andy Cole 'How's Teddy?' at some Man Utd corporate thing in Singapore earlier this year. He thought my mate said it and said to him 'There's always some bellend'. Fair enough.

Meeting Les Ferdinand at some meet and greet tonight, hopefully won't annoy him.

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I met Brian Clough when he was signing a copy of one of his books at Churchill Square.
Alvin Stardust came into Halfords Rustington and asked me to order some number plates for his mum's car.
I said hello to Danny Baker in Sainsbury's in Greenwich.
Chris Eubank's accountant used to live next door to me so he'd often turn up in his American truck and other vehicles.
I got in a lift at Canary Wharf back in the late 80s and Nicholas Witchell was in there already. Not a single word passed between us.
My kids were doing some tv stuff for The Gladiators and we met Cobra and Lightning. Lightning was far more attractive in real life than on the TV.

And I almost forgot.
Earlier this evening whilst walking down Newmarket High Street carrying my Chicken Kebab and chips from Rumbles fish and chip shop near the clocktower I passed Mick Quinn (Sumo) walking in the opposite direction. He looked at me as if I should acknowledge him with a nod. But I didn't.

And I was in an underground car park in Soho and met Eddie Izzard parking up and getting out of his car in though length patent leather high heeled boots.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Was once in Stanley Gibbons on the Strand. Took a step backwards to mind out of the way of an opening door and almost flattened Paul Daniels. He managed to magic himself out of the way just in time and actually said "ho hooooh.." like he used to on telly.

Was in a lift at the Kensington Roof Gardens in London. Got to the top floor, doors opened, went to step out and almost flattened Mick Jagger.

Bear in mind I'm 6 foot 2 and 18 stone, so it's not hard. :lolol:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Mariella Frostrop and i were both selecting loose potatoes in a local shop on Sunday. I grabbed large one that looked easy to peel just as she went for it. It was a victory for the common man.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the filming of Record Breakers with school, Cheryl Baker was sat in front of me, my mate tapped her on the shoulder, pointed at me and said "My mate thinks you're sexy."
She could see I was obviously embarrassed so clearly to annoy my mate she replied "I think he's sexy too."
Being the BBC in the 80's I should thank my lucky stars I wasn't taken out back. Still, it pissed my mate off so I'll take the victory.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It's lunchtime, and it's too long until the next game so I thought I'd start a mundane thread on mundane celebrity encounters. As in, the encounter being mundane but if the celebrity is too that's also enough to pass the time. Conversation/interaction has to have taken place, so I once sat opposite Gareth Gates on a train but we didn't speak so that doesn't count. Here's mine:

Cliff Richard asked me where the tins of tomatoes were when I worked in a supermarket. Hannah Gordon once also asked me if we had any single cream. It was a supermarket near quite a posh area. (Circa 1990)

Natalie Imbruglia asked me for directions to a car park in Canterbury, and I said "I'm only visiting and came by train, sorry, I don't know anything about parking." I didn't realise it was her until my girlfriend pointed out it was, and that the singer was in the Canterbury panto at the time. (mid 90s probably)

Anthea Turner apologised when she picked up a magazine at WH Smiths in Waterloo station and the leaflets inside it fell all over the floor next to me. (around 2004-ish). (Weirdly, I saw her several times around London and also once in Brighton over a short period.)

Lily Allen asked me to get a card down from a high shelf in Paperchase in Brighton. I'm tall. She isn't. (8 or 9 years ago)
Clive Dunn asked me if I could spell "Balloon" at a BBC Radio Brighton roadshow when I was a small child. I could. I won a crappy T-shirt that was too big.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I once asked Harold Macmillan excuse me in order to get past him, when I was about 14 on Victoria Station.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bumped into (not literally, thankfully) Iain Paisley (Snr) in Stuttgart Airport.
Given Mr Paisley’s legendary voice, I assume you were actually in Berlin Airport, at the time he was in Stuttgart Airport?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports