[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mark used to drink in the Lion and Lobster and The Robin Hood when I did. We nearly ran him over once. At the end of a six hour drive back to Bedford Square from oop north we were looking for parking when he came out of the L&L and stood in the road waiting for a mate, oblivious to the fact there was some traffic heading towards him.

He's a lovely feller and brilliant actor and my daughter loved him in the Harry Potter movies. I still can't bear to tell her this story.
I was working in the top part of Sussex Square in a flat, I needed something from the van and went downstairs, opened the main front door and came face to face with Mark.
I didn’t speak to him as he was on his phone, not sure if he lived there or was visiting.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
A bit of a stretched celeb encounter, but on the train home from Watford away (2018?), I sat beside a pretty blonde German lady getting stuck into a whole tube of sour cream pringles.

I made some small talk about crisp flavours, and it turned out to be Pascal's gf.. very pleasant and offered me some pringles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went to see Pete Doherty's Babyshambles at a gig on the end of Worthing pier, was drinking with pals on the balcony before the main act. Was asked to move over while two roadies carried Mr Doherty along the balcony and then down to the side of the stage. Pete did not recognise me, or any other people...he also failed to recognise the miç stand as he tried to make his cue when his band struck up.

I'm genuinely surprised he is still alive.

Entered a lift at St Mary's after watching a Southampton game in the director's box in 2009 and as I was waiting for the lift, the doors open and Alan Pardew is stood there waiting to exit it. I think I said "hi" to him rather than the more appropriate greeting of "prick", but 18 year-old me wouldn't have had that sort of gumption.

Had a natter with Leon Balogun whilst we were both queuing to board a flight from Berlin Tegel to Gatwick. Was just after the 2018 World Cup as he was wearing his Nigeria tracksuit IIRC.

Having finished a shift at work the same night as a midweek Albion game, was walking past the Palatine Road shops in Durrington just as Jamie Murphy hopped out his Range Rover to get some cash from one of the ATMs. Quickly congratulated him on the result that night as we'd won, then carried on walking down the road.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
- Once gave Daniel Bedingfield a piggy back ride down Rustington high street for about 10 minutes. Quite heavy and WOULD not stay still, like an excitable child. Whilst on my back he managed to successfully chat up a girl.

- Bumped into Jimmy Page outside HMV Oxford Street. He had popped into HMV to pick up some Led Zeppelin albums for some charity thing he was doing. “It’s quicker than waiting for the label to send me some”. Friendly and chatty.

- Met Keiran Gibbs and his then-girlfriend backstage at a gig. She was there to see the band, he seemed a little bemused why he was there but was polite enough, sat and had a few drinks. Definitely wasn’t his sort of scene.

- Dave Grohl - Surprisingly thin, and full of energy.

- Met Josh Homme a few times - always incredibly charming and funny. Unsurprisingly tall.

- Had an absolutely fascinating long chat about his work once with Willie Williams - U2’s lighting and set director. He was the architect of the giant Lemon set they had for Zoo TV, the big heart-shaped stage they did later in their career, and is fully involved with their current work at Las Vegas Sphere venue. Lovely guy.

- Was once FaceTimed by a friend whilst John McEnroe was giving him a tattoo.

- Sean Dyche. Very friendly and complimentary about the Albion (we were in Champ at the time and he was with Burnley). Called Jose Mourinho a c**t.

- Had a long and enjoyable conversation over beers with Chris Wolstenholme, bassist for Muse. The topic was pretty much entirely football, he’s a big Rotherham fan and was far more fussed talking about them and Brighton than talking music.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to see Pete Doherty's Babyshambles at a gig on the end of Worthing pier, was drinking with pals on the balcony before the main act. Was asked to move over while two roadies carried Mr Doherty along the balcony and then down to the side of the stage. Pete did not recognise me, or any other people...he also failed to recognise the miç stand as he tried to make his cue when his band struck up.

I'm genuinely surprised he is still alive.
Keith Richards has so far lived to be 23 years older than Linda McCartney was when she passed. The human body is just weird, and slightly unfair.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Great thread btw.

A few seasons back before a home game vs Burnley, I got on a train at Brighton and found myself sat directly opposite Alastair Campbell. Instead of publically holding him to task over the infamous "dodgy dossier" on Iraq's capabilities of launching WOMD against the west, I instead asked some dull mealy-mouthed question about how he rated Burnley's chances against us that night.

I promise to do better if I ever find myself opposite Donald Trump on the way to the AMEX.

Alastair Campbell once put out a photo with a picture of the "winners" of a team triathlon I'd taken part in. Having just looked up the results given I'd partaken myself, I noticed his team had in fact finished 3rd. Pointing this out to him, he had to publicly backtrack and got the inevitable "WMD, Campbell lying again comments" ad infinitum

I have to say the whole thing was very satisfying.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Murray Goodwin put me into the recovery position after I had a seizure at a charity cricket match that he was playing in
I’m calling bullshit - no way you’d know this.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to Arcade Mens Clothing in Eastbourne earlier this year and Phil Daniels walked in about 10 minutes later. He is good friends with the shop owner and often visits Eastbourne.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My dad met not only bodger but also badger too. Mashed potato!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I met Matthew Corbett of Sooty fame once. He spat when he talked.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I went to Arcade Mens Clothing in Eastbourne earlier this year and Phil Daniels walked in about 10 minutes later. He is good friends with the shop owner and often visits Eastbourne.
Then he disappeared into thin air?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I went to a few parties where “Bodger” was present . A rather unsavoury character.
I know you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but… please do…

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but… please do…
I’m not sure it’s true that you can’t libel the dead but I wouldn’t have left my Mrs in a room alone with him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was walking along the King's Road (Chelsea) at around 7.30 in the morning, back in around 92, misty autumn morning, and this bloke wearing a mac, was walking towards me. He did a sort of 'yes mate' nod as he passed. I think he thought I was going to acknowledge him and he responded to my nonexistent' hello mate' nod, with a needless response. The twat.

It was George Best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports