Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mumsnet hacked (and a reminder about NSC)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder how many NSC users have 'seagulls' as their password?

vBulletin used to have the ability to report on stuff like that, which was useful for allowing bespoke weak password warnings. Now, it only has an automated check of users with the same username and password. We have 34 of those currently.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Yes. How strong it is, I don't know. vBulletin is software for messageboards, not financial transactions. Even encrypted stuff can be cracked or brute forced if enough processing power can be harnessed.

As far as I can see it's using MD5, which is very outdated and vulnerable now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what this highlights is that your passwords are only as safe as the systems you send them to. some of those passwords were very good, strong passwords, but once they are exposed they are as good as "password" to any dictionary attack.

my advise to people (and im asked in my role), is come up with a method of using a few keywords and a changing component for each site/forum, keeping a few special passwords never reused for key accounts like bank and main email. and to be honest, dont be afraid to write them down on paper, if someone has access to that they have access to your computer and then all password schemes are weak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here