Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muffins (American)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like the other real men on here I like a bit of cooking but always veered away from the baking.

Anyway after a bit of trial and error I've developed a fool proof American muffin recipe. Shall I share it with you or go away ?

I've currently adapted it to blueberry or chocolate orange. The "cappuccino" is just in development stages.

I'm against the Americanisation of English food names, but the American muffin is very different from a fairy cake.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Share away, I like a good muffin, I actually bought a deep muffin tin on Saturday. It was actually purchased to make big fat Yorkshire puddings so I suppose I could get her to make some muffins in it.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Like the other real men on here I like a bit of cooking but always veered away from the baking.

Anyway after a bit of trial and error I've developed a fool proof American muffin recipe. Shall I share it with you or go away ?

I've currently adapted it to blueberry or chocolate orange. The "cappuccino" is just in development stages.

I'm against the Americanisation of English food names, but the American muffin is very different from a fairy cake.

Unbelievable. Brighton have just pulled off result of the season and nsc is buzzing and you come on and start a thread about bloody muffins!........yes please could you share you recipe. :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unbelievable. Brighton have just pulled off result of the season and nsc is buzzing and you come on and start a thread about bloody muffins!........yes please could you share you recipe. :)

I'm also working on "The Spanish" in celebration of all things Brighton. Almonds, Oranges and a dash of Sherry.

Probably topped with South American finest chocolate.

Bloody internet connection went down. Missed most the game so concentrated on my muffin "project".

Three takers and I'll be bothered to post. Quite specific instructions. Muffins are a bit odd. Easy, but odd.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Right now follow carefully. The difficulty with muffins is getting one up. A nice proud erect rounded dome. That's the difference from a fairy cake or sponge which remains rather flat and goes down on you when leaving the oven.

You are also after a bread like, fluffy texture which is difficult in the absence of yeast.

Right off we go.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Seems high but trust me.

Now a list of ingredients split into dry and wet. I'll do the blueberry first then tell you how to change it for chocolate orange.

Dry

200 grams of plain flour.
150 grams (usually a pack) of fresh blueberries.
2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder.
125 grams caster sugar.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Wet

2 eggs.
150 ml of sunflower oil ( yes really, it makes the muffin )
175 ml of plain yogurt.
2 caps of proper vanilla extract.

Method

Mix the dry together, then (important) sieve into another container.

Whisk the eggs (no need to over do it), add the other wet and whisk together.

Make a well in the dry and pour the wet in.

Now the most important bit. Very very carefully fold together until just to the point that the dry ingredients disappear. You are looking for a consistent consistency, but over mixing will ruin it. Don't worry about lumps, in fact embrace them. This is the most important part of muffin making, limited mixing.

Now pour a little into your cases, followed by a few blueberries. Fill the case, but leave about half a centimetre. Top with blueberries.

This might appear to be a very wet mixture, but the heat will deal it.Think Yorkshire pudding.

Cook for 25 minutes.

Those who like a sweeter muffin, increase the sugar by 25 teams but I don't think you need it.

For chocolate orange.

Omit the cinnamon.

Decrease the flour by 25 grams and replace with cocoa.

Increase the sugar by 25 grams. You need it to counter act the bitterness of the cocoa.

Add 3 caps of proper orange oil.

Add the zest of one orange.

Add the juice of half orange, but decrease the yoghurt accordingly. Basically put the juice in the measuring jug and top up with yo hurt.

Use just one cap of vanilla.

Replace the blueberries with good quality dark chocolate chips.

For best results get the proper tulip high muffin cases. With those the above should make 8 large proper greedy bastard muffins. With the standard cases probably 10.

This works,I've thrown away a few to get to point.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here