Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mudryk and his 8.5 years

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s ‘simple accounting practice’ in the same way as the wealthy lob their cash into offshore trusts to avoid paying tax. Within the rules, but still stinks a bit.
I really don't think so.

Financial Directors and CEOs across the other 19 clubs won't be sitting down and saying "why didn't we think of doing that?"

They've not been signing players on these ultra-long contracts because of the risk involved.

Mr Phil

Nov 29, 2022
If the contract can be unilaterally broken by the employer then it’s not worth the 8.5 years; why would a player then sign for so long?
“We agree, assuming you don’t f*** about and give us cause to terminate and equally assuming we don’t do the same, that we’ll employ you for until the latter years of your career no questions asked”

Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal from the players point of view? It doesn’t say he’s got an ankle bracelet preventing him from leaving the training ground, it says he’s guaranteed employment. Seems pretty smart to me and if player / club want to orchestrate a transfer it doesn’t mean they can’t

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“We agree, assuming you don’t f*** about and give us cause to terminate and equally assuming we don’t do the same, that we’ll employ you for until the latter years of your career no questions asked”

Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal from the players point of view? It doesn’t say he’s got an ankle bracelet preventing him from leaving the training ground, it says he’s guaranteed employment. Seems pretty smart to me and if player / club want to orchestrate a transfer it doesn’t mean they can’t
But this isnt the same as an explicit break in the contract which was being suggested earlier.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I work in IT it’s been the way for 20 years that if you buy hardware you amortise it over it’s expected lifespan, normally 3-5 years. It’s still an asset on your books though. The thing is you expect that asset to be fit for purpose over that timespan, if it’s not you could impair the asset but doing so means you have to clear the outstanding cost in that financial year. A human being isn’t like that though. You can’t possibly actually expect this player to be at the club in the first team for 8.5 years, that is unrealistic so there has to be an exit strategy, e.g. sell or swap. The massive risk for Chelsea is if he turns out to be shit. Cucurella still has 5.5 years left on his contract…….

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I work in IT it’s been the way for 20 years that if you buy hardware you amortise it over it’s expected lifespan, normally 3-5 years. It’s still an asset on your books though. The thing is you expect that asset to be fit for purpose over that timespan, if it’s not you could impair the asset but doing so means you have to clear the outstanding cost in that financial year. A human being isn’t like that though. You can’t possibly actually expect this player to be at the club in the first team for 8.5 years, that is unrealistic so there has to be an exit strategy, e.g. sell or swap. The massive risk for Chelsea is if he turns out to be shit. Cucurella still has 5.5 years left on his contract…….
We'll be writing down the balance of Mwepu's book value in this year's accounts - he's (literally) an impaired asset.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If the contract can be unilaterally broken by the employer then it’s not worth the 8.5 years; why would a player then sign for so long?
That's kind of my original point. If I were a player I don't think I'd sign an 8.5 year contract. Some kind of mechanism that allowed the contract to be shortened, or more precisely allow either party to leave on reasonable terms if a certain set of conditions were met/not met would be more palatable.

What exactly that is I'm not sure - performance/appearance based perhaps. That would allow the club to release him/pay him less if he decides to become shit and likewise allow him to be sold for cheap if the club decide his face doesn't fit and leave him in the stands.

Otherwise I just really struggle to understand why a player would sign away the entirety of his peak years and give all the power to the club. I don't fully buy into the financial incentive as he'd earn plenty over a standard length contract and would be set for life even if he suffered a career ending injury and never played again.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Potter, in an interview about the signing, said he had nothing to do with bringing the player to the club. The way he spoke, he has no input into who the club sign. Would this be normal? Surely he picks the team and had some input as to who Brighton signed during his time here.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Re Potter and signings. I understood that he told the club the type of player he wanted and the club went out to find them. But he didn't decide on the specific individual. I assume he had the power of veto to weedle out attitudes he didn't like.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Potter, in an interview about the signing, said he had nothing to do with bringing the player to the club. The way he spoke, he has no input into who the club sign. Would this be normal? Surely he picks the team and had some input as to who Brighton signed during his time here.
Same as RDZ said re: Trossard, they are both head coaches who pick the team, lead the training and prepare players mentally, tactically and physically for football matches. They aren’t old school “football managers” wheeling and dealing on the phone to other managers. That model is obsolete in our case and Chelsea are basically copying it because it has worked so well for us.

Young players (eg Buononotte) it’s likely the manager has never even see play until they sign.

This isn’t the case with manager recommendations (it seems clear for example that Matvienko would be a De Zerbi guy) then it’s up to the guys above (Bloom, Weir and his team) to try and make it work.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Same as RDZ said re: Trossard, they are both head coaches who pick the team, lead the training and prepare players mentally, tactically and physically for football matches. They aren’t old school “football managers” wheeling and dealing on the phone to other managers. That model is obsolete in our case and Chelsea are basically copying it because it has worked so well for us.

Young players (eg Buononotte) it’s likely the manager has never even see play until they sign.

This isn’t the case with manager recommendations (it seems clear for example that Matvienko would be a De Zerbi guy) then it’s up to the guys above (Bloom, Weir and his team) to try and make it work.
But surely each manager has a style of play and a lot of talk about Potter failing is that it's not his team. Luckily for us, or more a superb piece of planning from above, that RDZ has a similar style to Potter but at Chelsea the team did not play to his style. Player A may be a future Ballon'd'or winner but if he plays to a style different to that used by Potter it could all backfire.
In the interview GPott was saying he had no idea this player was even on the radar until he turned up to play.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don’t think this is cheating but it is hugely risky for Chelsea in the long run.

Any agent worth his salt negotiating with Chelsea for a contract extension or new signing will now be demanding 7/8 year contracts for their players minimum. They could end up with 20 players on these ridiculous contracts.

I do wonder if other clubs will now follow suit to get around FFP/transfer spend issues in the short term though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
But surely each manager has a style of play and a lot of talk about Potter failing is that it's not his team. Luckily for us, or more a superb piece of planning from above, that RDZ has a similar style to Potter but at Chelsea the team did not play to his style. Player A may be a future Ballon'd'or winner but if he plays to a style different to that used by Potter it could all backfire.
In the interview GPott was saying he had no idea this player was even on the radar until he turned up to play.
Who was the last Ballon'd'or winner who played left wing back?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here