Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mucked up again

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I will drill a dozen messy holes in the wall trying to put up a curtain rail.

But isn't it the case that doing something for the first time will never be perfect. The first time I put up a curtain rail, there were holes everywhere. The second time, there were still a few; the third time, I had a couple of attempts but the last few times, it's been fine. Similarly, putting up shelves - there are a few random holes but as you do more and more, it's fine.

I'm a bit surprised at some of things in this thread. If you're only doing the odd job, then of course things aren't going to go well, but the more you do them, the better you'll be.

This doesn't just apply to DIY, it's the same with anything - driving, playing football, cooking ... you name it and it will take practice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But isn't it the case that doing something for the first time will never be perfect. The first time I put up a curtain rail, there were holes everywhere. The second time, there were still a few; the third time, I had a couple of attempts but the last few times, it's been fine. Similarly, putting up shelves - there are a few random holes but as you do more and more, it's fine.

I'm a bit surprised at some of things in this thread. If you're only doing the odd job, then of course things aren't going to go well, but the more you do them, the better you'll be.

This doesn't just apply to DIY, it's the same with anything - driving, playing football, cooking ... you name it and it will take practice.

Yeah…but the others are mostly fun to do. DIY is a chore, not something I’d choose to do and I’d rather spend that time doing something else - so when I make a balls of it, then have to spend even longer (and more money usually) sorting it out, and the end result is still crap and makes the house look rubbish I get very frustrated. The other issue is tools……half the problem is probably using not quite the right tool for the job (partly due to lack of knowledge and often due to not having the right thing).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah…but the others are mostly fun to do. DIY is a chore, not something I’d choose to do and I’d rather spend that time doing something else - so when I make a balls of it, then have to spend even longer (and more money usually) sorting it out, and the end result is still crap and makes the house look rubbish I get very frustrated. The other issue is tools……half the problem is probably using not quite the right tool for the job (partly due to lack of knowledge and often due to not having the right thing).

Also it’s usually a few years since you f***** up and you’ve forgotten the pain, the difficulty, to read the instructions and you still have the same crappy tools. I know I’m going to f**k up before I start, so now leave it to an expert and sit back and relax.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Also it’s usually a few years since you f***** up and you’ve forgotten the pain, the difficulty, to read the instructions and you still have the same crappy tools. I know I’m going to f**k up before I start, so now leave it to an expert and sit back and relax.

Yep. Got someone in to assemble some IKEA furniture a while ago. Best decision ever.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But shirley fixing a couple of creaking floorboards before laying a carpet on a Friday is fine. What could possibly go wrong :blush:

:) Hopefully it didn’t cost you too much.

I went to one house many years ago because they had water coming through the ceiling, I found a six inch nail through the carpet, a floorboard and through a pipe.
I asked the lady that lived there if she knew how it happened, she denied knowing anything about it, her young son turned to her and said “yes you do mum, you were nailing the carpet down this morning “ :facepalm:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This has always been my mantra.
However, the girlfriend of the last two years does the plumbing, carpentry (Makes her own decking and trellis), Paints and even climbed on the roof to remove some foliage sprouting from the chimney. It seems that when I sliced through the electric cable with the hedge clipper she decided that it was safer for body, soul and home if I left all that stuff to her.
It’s a hard life.

Sorted!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
YouTube tutorials are a godsend. Helped me with everything from replacing a cistern to laying patio. Usually done by people who give you hacks and tips along the way. Invaluable.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I believe Fluidmaster flush valves have a warning in the instructions to not use toilet blocks.

I curse every time I have to change anything in a cistern that has a blue or green toilet block, I’ve had blue hands, blue tools and blue towels :eek:
I had a persistent leak on a cistern recently, went back twice after thinking it was sorted. All 3 occasions everything got stained with blue ink ffs!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a persistent leak on a cistern recently, went back twice after thinking it was sorted. All 3 occasions everything got stained with blue ink ffs!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I have gone to change a siphon and seen 3 blocks in a cistern, nightmare to get out without getting something covered in blue bleach FFS. Bad news when the customer has got a light carpet in their bathroom :eek:
Carpets in bathrooms is a definite no no.

Jul 7, 2003
Some people are great at DIY but don't enjoy it, others are not be great at DIY but enjoy it. I am very firmly in the camp that I am crap at it and don't enjoy it.

I made the decision years ago that it is cheaper to employee someone who knows what they are doing first time, than have to pay extra to fix my bodges.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not really a DIY disaster, but the most numbnuts thing i have ever done...

My Dad is an electrician - One birthday he asked me to get him a screwdriver that has a bulb inside, which lights up when it's touching a live wire.
I managed to get one and decided to test it by taking the back from a plug and then pushing it into a socket! :facepalm:

Quite an exhilarating second or two.
Think I was about 13 or so,

Once picked up an old hoover that someone was throwing out. Got home, plugged it in, didn't work. Thought 'oh well, the cable and plug will come in handy' so picked up the kitchen knife and sliced through the cable.

The next day I framed said kitchen knife, which now has a huge circular chunk missing out of it where it took all the current, as a reminder to never treat electrics casually again.

And as for plumbing - I hate always ending up with bleeding knuckles from fiddling around in inaccessible places - especially when it still bloody well leaks anyway.

Other stuff fine; electrics and water - leave to the experts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had to pay to get an electrician to change 4 recessed led bulbs in the kitchen ceiling . I’ve never even attempted assembling flat pack furniture, looks horrific !

I only agreed to buy the stuff on the basis I wasn’t going to have to build it based on past experience. Big wardrobe with sliding doors, two chests of drawers and two bedside cabinets. Would have taken me a couple of days (with increasing levels of swearing), would have got some stuff very wrong and had to take it apart again (never easy), drawers or doors probably wouldn’t have worked, would have bits missing or left over and not even sure I could have managed to do the wardrobe on my own anyway. Cost about £150 and the guy (who contracts for IKEA when they are fitting the shops out) did all of it in 4 hours with no issues at all.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
My limit is flat pack furniture, apart from that I struggle. When I try to silicone it’s 50:50 if it’s any good.

Painting is also hit and miss, problem is the misses insists I do these things rather than pay out. Does lead to more than a few arguments, I’d much rather leave it to someone who knows what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Not DIY but on Saturday we discovered the builders have painted our brand new house the wrong colour. I don't mean window frames and soffits, I mean the whole bloody exterior of the house. The architect was just as surprised as we were but of course they will correct it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here