Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr McGhee's 04/05 Philosophy

Ok, so Mr McGhee came in part the way through and " worked with the players at his disposal" according to reports, which seems to mean he concentrated on restoring their self confidence, shoring up the defence again and being a bit unadventurous.

However, he has a bit of a reputation as liking his teams to pass a bit ( according to our good friend Mr Strachan).

So do you think he will change formation and philosophy for the start of next term and if so, what's your take?

May 29, 2004
Lancing
I agree with what Strachan said at Cardiff. McGhee has been a passing man in the past, let's face it we know that this bunch of players can pass the ball around and when we do we are capable of beating anybody. You only have to go back to the Rushden away game and our season's in 1, 2 and 3.

Or is that Championship, League 1 and League 2 :shootself

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
When we pass the ball around we are capable of beating anybody

Total crap

We are capable of beating rubbish teams when we do that.

We are capable of beating good teams when we realise what our strengths are and play to them. A la Cardiff when Mr McG got it absolutely right and instructed the players to do what they could do, not what would make an exciting match for the neutral.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It might not be free flowing football next season but hopefully effective.

May 29, 2004
Lancing
From what type of play did the penalty come from at Cardiff?

The ball was PASSED along the floor to Iwelumo's feet instead of his head, he RAN with the ball into the penalty area. It was the ONLY time we had the ball on the floor in the box and the ONLY time we looked like scoring.

coach03 said:
So do you think he will change formation and philosophy for the start of next term and if so, what's your take?

I don't think there will be much change. We would have to replace too many 1st teamers for that and I don't think we have the money to get that kind of player. That's not saying that McGhee won't look for more fluency in midfield next season, but the tactics will still be the back 4 not dwelling long on the ball and the midfield getting the ball forward to the front players as quickly and as directly as possible.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
When you play better teams you play better football......you only have to see how much better we played against the likes of QPR and Plymouth last season to recognise that. We WILL play better next season, regardless of the tactics, but McGhee will carry on playing to our strengths, whatever they may be - and hopefully we will therefore have more that 4 points after the first 16 games this time round!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I believe it will depend on who he gets in, especially in midfield... he has already said he wants to bring in a creative central midfielder and a winger... if he achieves these aims, then I am sure we will try to play through the middle far more often than we did last season...

I just don't think the tactics we employed last season in "League 1" will work as well in "The Championship"... it will put too much pressure on the defence... you just can't afford to give away possession too cheaply, which we will do if we try to bypass the midfield...

Apr 4, 2004
New York City
Against Swindon (Home Leg) we didnt string more than 5 passes together at any one point! I have to say with out current midfield, WE ARE NOT CAPABLE OF THE PASSING GAME. Hence MG picking the tactics he did. Obviously we have to pass the ball in order to play football, but it certainly isnt our strength. Hopefully we ll pick up a load of decent free agents over the summer, but if we dont, it will be unlikely that MG would alter the tactics. After all, if we couldnt manage entertaining footy in the second div, we certainly wont be able to pull it off in the first (with the existing squad)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Without players with more guile we will not survive in division 1. Last season's style will not be good enough so I am sure McGhee will bring in palyers who can retain the ball and use it. Just hoofing it down the pitch against div 1 teams, will see us on the end of some thrashings next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here