Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Gustavo Poyet

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
Greetings and a Happy New Year. I have lived in Sussex for nearly 25 years and used to be a regular at the Goldstone and followed Brighton avidly, even succumbing to a ST at the Withdean at one point before returning to SE7, for what has been a difficult journey for any Charlton follower!!
I was at the Valley last season when you absolutely humiliated us at Home 4-0 and simply, but effectively, passed us off the park. You were worthy winners of the League and Mr Poyet seemed to be taking you onwards and upwards.
I have visited the (wonderful) Amex twice this season and have been really impressed with it all, bar the dreadful train service, but that is hardly the Clubs fault.
The reason for the post is this. I just have a couple simple questions of you all and would welcome your opinions.
Your Manager has spoken out in defence of a fellow countryman and received some criticism for it, I note that he has come out recently saying that the Players he wants he cannot afford, some of his post match statements are rather strange too. Finally I seem to recall that he made some rather odd quote as being that he would rather "go home" than play a more direct style of football.
My questions are this-who advises Mr Poyet in his dealings with the press?
Should he not keep his counsel at times?
Are people still 100% supportive of his views?
Anyhow that's it-I hope this well intentioned post does not start some type of binfest-I wish you all and the Albion every best wish for 2012

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I love Gus but I do wish that sometimes he would just keep quiet

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
My questions are this-
who advises Mr Poyet in his dealings with the press? He is his own man, he speaks his mind and prob goes against anything someone advises him to do / say.
Should he not keep his counsel at times? mabye a tad more often he should keep quiet.
Are people still 100% supportive of his views? I'm 100% behind his views & the things he does, well apart from signing Paynter that is.
Anyhow that's it-I hope this well intentioned post does not start some type of binfest-I wish you all and the Albion every best wish for 2012. you to can see you winning the league this season or atleast finish second, so should see you again next season.

A lot of what Gus says is lost in translation,I believe Mr Bloom is turning Him into shrewd poker player.
A question for yourself,Do you wish you had kept Curbs when they're was a vocal minority of halfwits voicing some of the same shite that we are now hearing on this board.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
A happy new year to you too Addick, as for your questions, Gus will say what he wants, when he wants. Should he hold his tongue? I think sometimes he should. But I still think that 99% of Albion fans are 100% behind him.

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
A lot of what Gus says is lost in translation,I believe Mr Bloom is turning Him into shrewd poker player.
A question for yourself,Do you wish you had kept Curbs when they're was a vocal minority of halfwits voicing some of the same shite that we are now hearing on this board.

The departure of Curbishley was a defining moment for us, but I would like to make clear that it was not only the minority of fuckwits at the Valley that hounded him out. He had been hurt by two things, the rejection of him as future England Manager citing that he had no European experience and no experience of managing "big" players. He decided that he needed this. Alongside this he was hurt at the way that Parker had left us, his departure too is not to underestimated in our subsequent collapse.
Curbs gave the club maximum notice to replace him and the Board then made the dreadful appointment of Dowie, an open cheque book to sign a talentless squad at ridiculous wages and the demise of the Club seen as a role model to many had begun.
The board then panicked and removed Dowie after 15(??) games and appointed Les Reed-we were even worse-finally appointing Pardew and relegation was confirmed. Worse was to follow.
Anyhow to answer your question of course I would have wanted to have kept him but he wanted to go. It has always been a mystery why he has floundered so badly since leaving.
Ironically Mr Powell is a student of Curbs and we are beginning to see a similar approach, not on the pitch, Powell plays a different style, but in the way that players are selected and what they can offer. Its exciting times at the Valley and about time too!!
Cheers

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I think that people if they have the opportunity - need to see Poyet's press conferences on Player, rather than Naylor or any other hacks interpretation of what he is saying. There have been times I have read the spin which is put on what Poyet says, then watched the Press Conference and the two don't tally up.

Yesterday being a prime example - Poyet when saying about players was effectively saying there was some wonderful players he really really really liked but cannot afford, and from watching him you can see he means players who most teams in the league can't afford, and he doesnt expect to be able to afford either. He wasn't complaining (which it came across in text) - an example being that say he probably really likes Nicky Maynard, but knows the Leicester bid 6 million so that is out of our price range.

Some people seem to be happy to read too much into what Poyet says - just take him at face value, watch his interviews and you will see that pretty much everything he says is brutally honest. Also, some of what he says is taken out of context, and in particular the wrong way because of his language.

Anyway - I am not saying he is always right in what he says, nor am I saying he is always right as a manager - he has made mistakes, quite a few - but then again so have the top managers in the country (Ferguson/Wenger/Mourinho/Dalglish) - you could point at several mistakes by each either by what they have said, or signings, or tactics.

Is Poyet the man to take us forward - yes, I think so. But he is still learning, he has been a manager a little over 2 years and some people seem to forget that - other managers like above are still making mistakes after being a manager for 25 years!

Before the end of the season he may make more mistakes, say some more things which we might not all agree with, or are taken out of context, and we will lose more matches - but, he may bring in 1-2 players of genuine quality in Jan, make another player who hasnt played very well suddenly perform out of their skin, or completely destroy a team in the top 6 with slick passing football - thats the ride we are on, and quite frankly I don't want to get off...

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Greetings and a Happy New Year. I have lived in Sussex for nearly 25 years and used to be a regular at the Goldstone and followed Brighton avidly, even succumbing to a ST at the Withdean at one point before returning to SE7, for what has been a difficult journey for any Charlton follower!!
I was at the Valley last season when you absolutely humiliated us at Home 4-0 and simply, but effectively, passed us off the park. You were worthy winners of the League and Mr Poyet seemed to be taking you onwards and upwards.
I have visited the (wonderful) Amex twice this season and have been really impressed with it all, bar the dreadful train service, but that is hardly the Clubs fault.
The reason for the post is this. I just have a couple simple questions of you all and would welcome your opinions.
Your Manager has spoken out in defence of a fellow countryman and received some criticism for it, I note that he has come out recently saying that the Players he wants he cannot afford, some of his post match statements are rather strange too. Finally I seem to recall that he made some rather odd quote as being that he would rather "go home" than play a more direct style of football.
Anyhow that's it-I hope this well intentioned post does not start some type of binfest-I wish you all and the Albion every best wish for 2012

I think many of us agree sometimes Gus should wait untill his blood has cooled down before giving post match interviews.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
My questions are this-
who advises Mr Poyet in his dealings with the press? Nobody, I don't think he'd take the advice even if it was given to him, he's madly passionate and believes every word he says.
Should he not keep his counsel at times? Probably, but it's that passion and flair that if it was lost, he'd be nothing without.
Are people still 100% supportive of his views? I am, 110%.

And you, going great guns in the league this year!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
His nickname is "The Radio".....says it all really.

I wouldn't swap him for any other manager, I think he's great.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think that people if they have the opportunity - need to see Poyet's press conferences on Player, rather than Naylor or any other hacks interpretation of what he is saying. There have been times I have read the spin which is put on what Poyet says, then watched the Press Conference and the two don't tally up.

Yesterday being a prime example - Poyet when saying about players was effectively saying there was some wonderful players he really really really liked but cannot afford, and from watching him you can see he means players who most teams in the league can't afford, and he doesnt expect to be able to afford either. He wasn't complaining (which it came across in text) - an example being that say he probably really likes Nicky Maynard, but knows the Leicester bid 6 million so that is out of our price range.

Some people seem to be happy to read too much into what Poyet says - just take him at face value, watch his interviews and you will see that pretty much everything he says is brutally honest. Also, some of what he says is taken out of context, and in particular the wrong way because of his language.

Anyway - I am not saying he is always right in what he says, nor am I saying he is always right as a manager - he has made mistakes, quite a few - but then again so have the top managers in the country (Ferguson/Wenger/Mourinho/Dalglish) - you could point at several mistakes by each either by what they have said, or signings, or tactics.

Is Poyet the man to take us forward - yes, I think so. But he is still learning, he has been a manager a little over 2 years and some people seem to forget that - other managers like above are still making mistakes after being a manager for 25 years!

Before the end of the season he may make more mistakes, say some more things which we might not all agree with, or are taken out of context, and we will lose more matches - but, he may bring in 1-2 players of genuine quality in Jan, make another player who hasnt played very well suddenly perform out of their skin, or completely destroy a team in the top 6 with slick passing football - thats the ride we are on, and quite frankly I don't want to get off...

Well said

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I guarantee you that before the end of the season Poyet will have picked the wrong team, made the wrong substitutions, chosen the wrong tactics and said the wrong things. He'll also probably do a few more wrong things that aren't in that list. He will do all this partly because he's human, partly because he's still learning and also partly because he's foreign and was brought up in a different culture.

No doubt the nit-pickers will dwell on his every fault (and I notice they're getting a bit more vocal recently), but I'm more than happy to take the rough with the smooth. For a club at our level I can't think of a better manager, almost every other name that we could realistically aspire to is tainted with failure - although Chris Powell sounds like he's doing a good job!

This is a great point.
Try not to read the desperate hack Naylor anymore,

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I don't know who, if anyone advises Gus and, if they do, whether he takes any notice.
There are times when i cringe at what i think is his naivety.
I am certainly not 100% supportive of all his views.

However i am 100% supportive of him as our manager, wouldn't swap him for anyone else, and think he is a major reason why we are seeing the best entertainment we have seen in many years

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't know who, if anyone advises Gus and, if they do, whether he takes any notice.
There are times when i cringe at what i think is his naivety.
I am certainly not 100% supportive of all his views.

However i am 100% supportive of him as our manager, wouldn't swap him for anyone else, and think he is a major reason why we are seeing the best entertainment we have seen in many years

Best entertainment for years?..You call what we have seen for the last three months entertainment?...I call it crap,boring and dull.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Best entertainment for years?..You call what we have seen for the last three months entertainment?...I call it crap,boring and dull.

I find it entertaining watching us holding our own in the most competitive league i have seen in 45 years of watching the Albion. Yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here