MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I'm not that bothered about the referendum, really, which is why you won't see me in any of the mind-numbingly dull threads on it. Leave or remain, we'll probably be alright, the world's not going to stop spinning.

The point being debated here now is actually far more important than that. It's about the power of the press in this country, it's influence on ordinary people, the current polical climate and the power that major establishments in this country have to spin events to a pre-conceived narrative.

What happened Friday has changed the referendum, I was totally unsure which way to vote and now I have lost any enthusiasm to listen to the arguments anymore to the point of not bothering to vote.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
.. and why would 'Freedom for Britain' be a slogan for Britain First, and many other far right groups would you say?

.. even though ive never heard this phrase used by Britain First, or any other far right groups.

For numerous reasons probably, using their language freedom from multiculturalism, freedom from the treacherous liberal Con Lib Lab elites, freedom from the EU.

Plenty of mentions for freedom for Britain on the BNP site.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Someone from the NCS brexit camp who doesn't have a view. A first? To be fair you are one of the more measured

My view is this thread should have been a respectful tribute to an obviously committed and caring MP which was derailed by comments obviously intended to make political capital and score points about the referendum.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I am aware. However, these widespread tactics are used by groups far less pernicious than Britain First. The people that turn up to the marches are thugs, looking for a fight exclusively, the same morons signing 'No Surrender.' in France right now. You'd have to be stupid to associate with them, they're a joke.

However, you don't have to be a thug to be a fascist. That 1.5m suggests to me there is a significant tacit approval, despite not knowing the real figure. That to me is scarier than a bunch of tattooed thugs luzzing chairs through pub windows.

You only have to look at the Overton Window of acceptable debate in this country to see how far to the right we have shifted since the late-70's.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My view is this thread should have been a respectful tribute to an obviously committed and caring MP which was derailed by comments obviously intended to make political capital and score points about the referendum.

Not really. The fuss started after some guy repeated what was stated in the national news media. If the assailant had been of asian origin, how do you think the thread would have gone?

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley

Well said. The recent 'scoring' posts seem to have quickly forgotten about this tragedy.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I am aware. However, these widespread tactics are used by groups far less pernicious than Britain First. The people that turn up to the marches are thugs, looking for a fight exclusively, the same morons signing 'No Surrender.' in France right now. You'd have to be stupid to associate with them, they're a joke.

However, you don't have to be a thug to be a fascist. That 1.5m suggests to me a significant tacit approval. That to me is scarier than a bunch of tattooed thugs luzzing chairs through pub windows.

They dont really do marches though, I seriously cant remember seeing more than 15 of these nitwits in one place.
They had up to 1k during the far right 'happy days' but nothing really since.

Last edited:

When a man goes out, armed with a gun, and a knife, and butchers one of our MPs who is well known, as a pro EU MP, in broad day light outside her surgery.. whilst shouting either Britain First, or put Britain first,..im guessing its a fairly safe bet.
Allegedly said "Put Britain First"
One eyewitness who says he heard nothing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Labour are always at it.

15ygi6f.jpg

There's clearly blokes on the right side. You need to look beyond the end of your nose. I'd extend that to life in general.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not really. The fuss started after some guy repeated what was stated in the national news media. If the assailant had been of asian origin, how do you think the thread would have gone?

I think you would have been condemning those turning a thread paying tribute to a caring MP into a political point scoring game. (If the assailant had been of Asian origin)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of facts have now emerged. It is clear, if it wasn't obvious from the start, that the murder is the behaviour of someone with severe mental illness (plus minus a dollop of evil, the proportion of which will emerge in time). It can neither be blamed on any Brexit campaign, nor can it be excused as a consequence of our being in the EU.

People don't attack and kill unsuspecting and defenceless strangers on the streets of the UK because they have undertaken a careful and paistaking policical or religious analysis of the UK today, and have concluded, reluctantly, that the only road to political or religious salvation is to commit a murder and spend the rest of their days locked up in prison or in Broadmoor. This, whether it be the recent murder, or the murder of the off duty soldier in South East London some while ago.

I also admit that the visceral reaction, to equate an event like this to reinforce one's own prejudices, can be hard to resist. We have seen it with folk whose attitudes to muslims and foreigners hardened over various and numerous events either done by muslims or foreigners. or done supposedly in the name of jihad, over the last 10 years or so. Likewise one might be tempted to regard the recent murder as typical of a certain little England mind set. Really, it isn't. I'll say that again. It isn't.

It is important to use the cebral cortex for analysing the actualite, and not the brainstem. Sadly, anger and rightous indignation make us feel justified. Such is how a man with mental illness, and probably certain susceptibilities and inclinations, can imagine he is putting Britan First by murdering an unsuspectingg woman.

It is all horrible and wrong. But it has nothing to do with what the man himself claims it to be about.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think you would have been condemning those turning a thread paying tribute to a caring MP into a political point scoring game. (If the assailant had been of Asian origin)

Probably not until after five minutes when there would have been 50 pages of 'religion of peace' etc.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This has been a terrible act. Some people seem a bit defensive about their very tenuous link to this murdering ****. People dont think all leave people would do such a thing. You dont have to defend him. Anyway, thats enough from me on it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It would be a shame if anyone changes their vote from either side by some nutter. I would hope the campaign will continue ASAP as I am sure this poor lady would have wished that. There is a lot of tragic deaths everyday, the world has to still go on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Labour are always at it.

15ygi6f.jpg

Now Muslim women take on Labour - Private Eye

WHILE Shami Chakrabarti investigates allegations of anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in the Labour party, discrimination against another group seems to be largely ignored.
In February the Muslim Women’s Network UK (MWN) wrote to Jeremy Corbyn detailing concerns about Muslim male councillors blocking “able, knowledgeable and independent-minded” women from standing for public office and alleging the party was colluding with “systematic misogyny” to harvest votes. The national media then aired claims about candidate selection stitch-ups and Muslim women threatened with being “shamed” if they persisted in challenging traditional male-dominated community politics.

Intimidation
Muslim women’s lack of representation on councils underlines how male-dominated Muslim community politics can be. MWN said the problem exists across the political spectrum but is a particular issue for Labour because of its high level of support in areas with large Muslim populations. Shaista Gohir, who chairs MWN, flagged up Blackburn council, “where there are 18 or 19 male Muslim councillors and no women. How can that be? It’s not possible – to me that’s discrimination. Surely one or two would have got through?”

All of a sudden you're interested in Shami Chakrabarti's opinion! Didn't have you down as a fan of hers.

Not saying that there aren't some specific, regional issues at local level for the Labour Party to resolve (indeed this has been acknowledged as something that needs to be worked on and sorted) but being a Muslim of Pakistani heritage doesn't seem to have done the the female Labour winner of the Tooting by-election this week Rosena Allin-Khan too much harm in her political career to date.

But I don't see how this is the same as Zac Goldsmith implying on a full page on page 5 of The Sun that if you voted for Sadiq Khan, you were approving terrorism. That's what the post you quoted was a response to.

If Londoners are to take Goldsmith at his word then they must now believe that the current elected London mayor is a personal danger to them. Do you see how that narrative could possibly lead to a place where a mentally ill fascist can kill their elected representative and think it's a justifiable action?

Or are you implying that it is a justfiable action? I take it you agree with that Goldsmith article.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports