Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
No it's a different kind of war and its still about saving your country from unscrupulous people.
Blimey, with that kind of talk going on, literal minded folk could well be up for a bit of stabbing and shooting. How about we all try to be part of the solution, not the problem?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What is there to learn?You are saying that this nutter was pushed to kill Jo Cox because of the negative campaigning.That is wrong.No we do not change anything because of this scumbag.He is a nutter who would eventually have done something.As the days pass and we learn more about him we will see that.

Fair enough if you have nothing to learn from it and brush it aside as one of those things that happens in a healthy democracy. That's up to you and I am not going to convince you otherwise.

I trust that more influential people do actually learn from it and never, ever forget it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The political environment has become increasingly toxic. From how MPs behave towards each other in public, plus the conduct of various people within the referendum on both sides, and including the "commentators".

It spills over into "normal" life, you only have to look at the language used on this forum to see that.

People in the public eye DO influence behaviour and norms. The perceived breakdown of respect in our society isn't (as far as I can see), down to our culture being stolen. Far from it, it's this idea that you can say what you want with no repercussions. From "bantz" to the sort of crap Hopkins says.

The bile and hatred spouted is exaggerated at the extremes, be it by patronising intellectuals, religious zealots or nationalists. There is no doubt in my mind that this facilitates a platform where aggressive or violent acts can be rationalised in the minds of some people.

It's so wrong.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
What is there to learn?You are saying that this nutter was pushed to kill Jo Cox because of the negative campaigning.That is wrong.No we do not change anything because of this scumbag.He is a nutter who would eventually have done something.As the days pass and we learn more about him we will see that.

Even the argument that says that there is no such thing as free will and our psychological and physiological makeup ultimately determines our behaviour would also say that this behaviour is a response to external stimuli. In short if the air is full of poison disturbed people may well respond differently than if exposed to more positive messages. Or maybe along with international economic experts, the entire global pyschiatric profession.are also a bunch of frauds.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The bile and hatred spouted is exaggerated at the extremes, be it by patronising intellectuals, religious zealots or nationalists. There is no doubt in my mind that this facilitates a platform where aggressive or violent acts can be rationalised in the minds of some people.
I thought this event was quite instructive: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14546045.Skinheads_on_way_to_reunion___39_set_upon_by_anti_fascist_demonstrators__39_/

A group of anti-facist demonstrators attack a group of Polish and other people because of their haircuts. It demonstrates how people can end behaving exactly in the opposite way they intend by following a group-think attitude to its logical extremes. If people didn't view the "other" as just a faceless enemy we could have a much better debate.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Thomas Mair, Charged With Jo Cox’s Murder, Gives His Name As ‘Death To Traitors, Freedom For Britain’ At Court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...edom-for-britain_uk_57651660e4b01fb658639b66?

Thomas Mair seems like a nasty far-right sympathiser and supporter...

I agree with Brendan Cox. Politicians are legitimising far-right rhetoric and ideology. It seems to me, Jo Cox paid the price with her life by somebody who sought to express his intolerance and hatred in such a violent manner.

It's a wake-up call for all of us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...mising-extremist-anti-immigrant-a7088831.html

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They raised a couple of hundred thousands pounds so far please donate it's going to her charities.She will carry on with a great work. RIP

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
An utterly terrible and tragic waste of life for a fundamentally decent person who sought to improve other people's quality of life, firstly through their work for OXFAM and latterly as an MP.

I feel so sad for her family and her community, but also for her assistant who cradled her in her arms who could now be deeply traumatised for the rest of her life as well.

Why and for what?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So by continuing the campaigning that means we are brushing the murder aside? That's ridiculous.What do you suggest that we end all campaigning and just have
the vote next Thursday?

No-one doubts the seriousness of what has happened.MP's,the good ones,the bad ones,the money grabbers,the ones who work tirelessely,all should be able to do their jobs feeling safe and secure and not face the abuse it seems some do.

I hope to see the campaigning start up again today but if it does I'm sure it will be muted for a couple of days.

Please, just ****ing shut up.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thomas Mair seems like a nasty far-right sympathiser and supporter...

I agree with Brendan Cox. Politicians are legitimising far-right rhetoric and ideology. It seems to me, Jo Cox paid the price with her life by somebody who sought to express his intolerance and hatred in such a violent manner.

It's a wake-up call for all of us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...mising-extremist-anti-immigrant-a7088831.html

After your comments earlier in the thread i thought you might have piped down. However maybe a look at this might calm you down.

Jo Cox Killer Had 'Mental Health Problems,' Wasn't Political, Didn't Shout 'Britain First'
The killer of Jo Cox was reportedly known to be mentally ill and taking meds, those who knew him said he was apolitical, and at least one witnesses quoted as saying the killer shouted "Britain First" says he said nothing of the sort.
Thomas Mair, who has been named locally as the man arrested on suspicion of killing Labour MP Jo Cox was not politically minded, according to locals who knew him reported by the Daily Telegraph. A neighbour said he wasn't a member of a political party and had never expressed interest in the EU referendum.

62-year-old Kathleen Cooke told the paper: "I am really shocked. He walked past my house this morning and said hello like he always does… He is just a quiet bloke who keeps himself to himself.
Local restaurant owner Hicham Ben Abdallah, widely quoted across the media as having claimed Mr. Mair shouted, "Britain First" has told Breitbart London "No, no. I did not hear that".
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=55017

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
After your comments earlier in the thread i thought you might have piped down. However maybe a look at this might calm you down.

Jo Cox Killer Had 'Mental Health Problems,' Wasn't Political, Didn't Shout 'Britain First'
The killer of Jo Cox was reportedly known to be mentally ill and taking meds, those who knew him said he was apolitical, and at least one witnesses quoted as saying the killer shouted "Britain First" says he said nothing of the sort.
Thomas Mair, who has been named locally as the man arrested on suspicion of killing Labour MP Jo Cox was not politically minded, according to locals who knew him reported by the Daily Telegraph. A neighbour said he wasn't a member of a political party and had never expressed interest in the EU referendum.

62-year-old Kathleen Cooke told the paper: "I am really shocked. He walked past my house this morning and said hello like he always does… He is just a quiet bloke who keeps himself to himself.
Local restaurant owner Hicham Ben Abdallah, widely quoted across the media as having claimed Mr. Mair shouted, "Britain First" has told Breitbart London "No, no. I did not hear that".

'Thomas Mair gave his name as "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain" when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court.'

Attachments

• 13450961_10154203830371698_1008856042505994071_n.jpg
    13450961_10154203830371698_1008856042505994071_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 172

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No it's a different kind of war

And there we have it everyone. This is why mentally racists, kill MP's in cold blood, in broad daylight. Because of insane rhetoric like this.

If you truly believe that, you need help. If you don't then you, like the majority of the press, are manipulating people.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:facepalm:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thats all right then. What ****ing point? There are no points to score with this incredibly sad and depressing incident.

All I'm saying is if you keep pushing hatred someone is going to flip. Yesterday he sends out an unambiguous racist statement in massive letters and previously wailing to the country to TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK, someone that is mentally ill enough to take that as gospel is going to attack the opposite. Obviously he's been planning the attack for a while but the rise of the far right will only being more sadness in my view. Just my opinion eh. Feel free to disagree. It'll be interesting to see what unfolds from this murder.

Zac Goldsmith.jpg

And it's not just Farage remember. This disgrace was only 6 weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here