Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
To talk about someone who seems to have mental health issues as "lowlife" and "a nutter" is fairly disgusting.

What has happened is appalling. If it was purely motivated by political belief and hate, it would be terrifying. The fact that it seems to have been carried out by somebody with mental health issues makes it even more difficult.

But the BBC's political editor on Newsnight has just said "we still do not know the motive for this murder". It is a bit early to judge any of it. It's just appalling that it has happened.

It also plays into a narrative rarely afforded to POC or god forbid, Muslims.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What I hope the experience today will do is make people a little more pragmatic when judging politicians. Yes, there are bad eggs but there are literally hundreds that fly under the radar, wearing rosettes of all hues, working tirelessly for their constituents having been involved with activism and charity work for much of their lives. They are human beings with mothers, fathers, children, siblings and other loved ones. The rise of populism has led to an almost black and white view of establishment and anti-establishment. People need to understand there are shades of grey, there are principled pragmatists, passionate about a variety of issues.

I worry that the murder of a dedicated constituency MP will be used to remove the feckless, lazy, piss taking ones further from public scrutiny.

I also worry that this will be used to further the aims of the mendacious 'snoopers charter' bill.

On Thursday I will be up at the crack of dawn. I will spend 15 hours in a polling station allowing the democratic process to function. I will smile at all the electors who come in to vote. I will be totally impartial and professional. I will then proceed to the count where I will be part of the process to ensure the votes are counted accurately. Again I will remain totally impartial.

When I eventually leave at whatever time on Friday, I will go home and either cheer or cry at the result.

And then I will get on with my life. RIP Jo Cox:angel: You were just doing your job too.
Well said!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I just hope you're just a case of someone who doesn't really consider how your posts come across or how they can be interpreted. You can't possibly mean how I've read that.
frankly .....im sick of arguing....sorry if i offended you .....it wasn't meant......i didn't mean the " reap what you sow " in context to the lady who was shot , more as an adage to society in general....cheers for now .

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Conservatives have announced they will not field a candidate when the by election takes place, out of respect to Jo.

If anyone wants to make a cheap comment, I lived in the area & it was a marginal returning a Tory for quite a few years.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Jo Cox
Written by the Hove and Portslade MP.
I really don't know what to say, but I know I have to say something.

Jo and I became MP's on the same day last year. We had both been aid workers, she was a director of Oxfam, so we had a lot in common. But that wasn't the reason people like me gravitated towards Jo. She was effervescent, maternal, driven, and huge fun.

I wish people could see more of the softer side of politics. The friendship, the support, the way people gather around when they're under stress and the lighter moments too. Every time I've had a tough time with things, Jo was always right there. She was fantastically upbeat and optimistic and she spoke brilliantly in the chamber. We often sat together in the chamber and I joked with her because the Speaker always called her before me!

When I look through the texts I've had from her in recent weeks it just about sums her up. She suggested meeting for dinner and inviting friends that are fun 'because we need to laugh more'. Another time she wanted to get together to talk about international development policy. And then she was asking about my taste in blokes because she wanted to set me up on a date!

Jo was everything I believe an MP should be: values driven, hard working, funny, but above all extremely caring. She had all this by the bucket load.

She lived on a houseboat on the Thames when parliament was in session. I went round for dinner recently and spent the evening with her family. There was so much love between her and her two young children and husband. The tragedy of her murder today is incomprehensible.

We don't yet know what led that man to do what he did. But in general something just feels wrong in the world around us right now. There is so much hate and unfocused anger around us. Because of it people, families, and communities are suffering. The only thing I know for certain is that people like Jo should be part of the solution, they are not the problem.

You and our whole country desperately need and deserve leadership of such quality that we can be led to a better future and every community can feel that that are included in the journey we take as a nation and most importantly that no one will be left behind. Politics has to work for everyone. I think some of the hate exists because right now it's not working for everyone and the reasons are sometimes hard to understand.

The man who today murdered a mum, wife, friend, and hard working MP will face justice. Our police and justice system is good at that. Whether this murder is linked to any other issues of social isolation, disenfranchisement, or terror we won't know for a while. But I hope this desperate, heartbreaking moment can give us the chance to stop, to reflect about who we are as a nation and who we want to be. We must start again with renewed energy down a path that people like Jo dedicated careers and lives to achieving, one that shows politics isn't perfect but it can work and it exists to serve us all wherever we live and whatever our background. Yours in terrible sadness, Peter

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jo Cox
Written by the Hove and Portslade MP.

We don't yet know what led that man to do what he did. But in general something just feels wrong in the world around us right now. There is so much hate and unfocused anger around us. Because of it people, families, and communities are suffering. The only thing I know for certain is that people like Jo should be part of the solution, they are not the problem.

You and our whole country desperately need and deserve leadership of such quality that we can be led to a better future and every community can feel that that are included in the journey we take as a nation and most importantly that no one will be left behind. Politics has to work for everyone. I think some of the hate exists because right now it's not working for everyone and the reasons are sometimes hard to understand.

The man who today murdered a mum, wife, friend, and hard working MP will face justice. Our police and justice system is good at that. Whether this murder is linked to any other issues of social isolation, disenfranchisement, or terror we won't know for a while. But I hope this desperate, heartbreaking moment can give us the chance to stop, to reflect about who we are as a nation and who we want to be. We must start again with renewed energy down a path that people like Jo dedicated careers and lives to achieving, one that shows politics isn't perfect but it can work and it exists to serve us all wherever we live and whatever our background. Yours in terrible sadness, Peter

People really, REALLY need to read and digest this.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Very well written letter that.

He is right - there is something very wrong somewhere. This sort of thing should not happen anywhere, let alone the UK. The UK is supposed to be tolerant and compassionate, where robust debate wins the day, not where personal verbal and now deadly, physical attacks prevail. It often takes a tragic and mindless incident like this to make people step back and reflect and I sincerely hope that happens urgently.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If you don't want to read stupid comments ....may be an internet forum is NOT the best place for you, or twitter or facebook or anywhere on the internet for that matter!

Or pubs ...... sad, innit. I'll have to stick to libraries.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If you don't want to read stupid comments ....may be an internet forum is NOT the best place for you, or twitter or facebook or anywhere on the internet for that matter!

isn't that down to maturity though ? I don't understand why people would behave any differently on the internet to real life. You are still the same person and the strongest regulation to behaviour is ones own standards. I find it odd that there is a belief that anything goes on the internet and people have the 'free speech' right to abuse others. This type of behaviour lowers boundaries for abuse and in my opinion makes the tragic events of yesterday more likely to happen.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Very well written letter that.

He is right - there is something very wrong somewhere. This sort of thing should not happen anywhere, let alone the UK. The UK is supposed to be tolerant and compassionate, where robust debate wins the day, not where personal verbal and now deadly, physical attacks prevail. It often takes a tragic and mindless incident like this to make people step back and reflect and I sincerely hope that happens urgently.

There will always been loners and nutters who will perpetrate these sorts of crimes, there's nothing that can be done about them. I'm just grateful to live in the UK where you can almost remember the names of the victims and the killers going back thirty years because they're so infrequent.

Imagine living in Syria, or Afghanistan, or parts of Iraq, Palestine etc where they have more senseless killing in a day than we have in a decade.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
isn't that down to maturity though ? I don't understand why people would behave any differently on the internet to real life. You are still the same person and the strongest regulation to behaviour is ones own standards. I find it odd that there is a belief that anything goes on the internet and people have the 'free speech' right to abuse others. This type of behaviour lowers boundaries for abuse and in my opinion makes the tragic events of yesterday more likely to happen.

I agree 100% just look at American and who their next President is going to be; scary times we live in!!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The big difference is that you're not seeing that there's a person in front of you on the Internet whereas you are necessarily confronted with people's reactions and emotions in speech-based forms of contact, irrespective of whether you register them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here