Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP for HM Prisons

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Heard on the wireless somebody's suggestion that instead of letting prisoner's vote on things that will affect a place they may not see for years and more importantly affect you or I why not create the position of MP for HMPrison system and let them vote on that? Is this a good idea or the ravings of a radio phone in lunatic?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can see it now...

"I, Prison Officer McKay, do hereby declare that the newly elected MP for HM Prisons is 'Genial' Harry Grout from D-wing."

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Any what if this MP decides to be in favour of the prisoner's interests? I doubt MPs in standard consitutencies care about the interests of inmates, but an MP who's elected by inmates for their own interests seems absurd.

They're in prison for a reason, they shouldn't have their views put forward.

You should lose your freedom in prison, that freedom includes being represented. A candidate would not be seen campaigning in Prisoner's interests as it currently is, so they're hardly represented even if they vote now..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the right way to go is to give the vote to prisoners whose sentence is due to end during the term of office that the election applies to.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Me thinks that there are far to many people on this board who listen to Jeremy Vine's 'Daily Mail nutters' lunchtime radio show.

kjgood

I would be against convicted prisoners having the right to vote, they are in prison because they have breached the laws of our society, and I feel they shouldn't have the right to determine how our society is structured (Apart from the fact every one will tell you they are innocent). Those on remand are a slightly different case and I would be open to discussion as to if these people still have their complete rights apart from their freedom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here