Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Moving next to a venue...and then making a noise complaint

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Motorsport venues suffer too. Brands Hatch has silly restrictions yet it is older than the surrounding houses. I hate kunnts that complain in that setting.
And is right next to the M20 which presumably also makes quite the din

Clear and present (well future, anyways) danger to the Prince Albert upcoming, as reported in the Argus in the Summer. Yours truly even made an extremely rare foray into the comments section to give them a heads-up

'Plans to demolish building next to the Prince Albert in Brighton submitted'​

Speaking of this, deadline for comments to be submitted in objection to this on the planning application on B&HCC's website is tonight at midnight. The Albert and other local venues have been sharing this around today. Unsure why they've not been pushing this earlier, but every comment helps to stop this from threatening the pub/venue's future.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Speaking of this, deadline for comments to be submitted in objection to this on the planning application on B&HCC's website is tonight at midnight. The Albert and other local venues have been sharing this around today. Unsure why they've not been pushing this earlier, but every comment helps to stop this from threatening the pub/venue's future.

Cheers for posting that. Only skimmed the first couple of dozen comments but every damn one of them is an objection to the planning application on the grounds of danger to the future of live music at the Albert from the proposed holiday lets through the wall from the main stage. Bravo to all concerned! :clap:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Motorsport venues suffer too. Brands Hatch has silly restrictions yet it is older than the surrounding houses. I hate kunnts that complain in that setting.
This, Brands GP is one the best circuits I’ve ever ridden, but it’s only available a few days a year as people who live near the forest section have complained. Nobs.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm probably going to get some vitriol but we moved next to a social club which has music on Saturday nights. We knew this when we bought the property so expected some level of noise, and most nights we hardly notice it. However, there are some nights when the noise is excessive particularly when the doors are left open in the summer and sometimes people are shouting, swearing and fighting outside in the smoking area, which is not far from our daughters bedroom window. Those are times when we have given them a call and politely asked that they shut the doors or ask people outside to be a little quieter, sometimes we are told to f*** off and they hang up the phone. But I don't think it's unreasonable to request some adjustments to be respectful of the surrounding neighbours.

I wouldn't want the place closed down, but I am aware that there are times when they have breached their licence agreement and had music still going past the agreed time. I don't know about other neighbours but if they don't want complaints leading to the council investigating whether they are in breach of their licence, then maybe they should be a little more respectful when asked to make minor adjustments. We haven't made a complaint to the council btw, I'm just saying that other neighbours may do if they receive the same treatment we have.
British Legion was just down the road from us. Never a problem with noise, except for the occasional band - but that wasn't bad either.

Then they created a 'smokers shed' out the back. Which meant folk outside about 15 yards away from the bedroom window. Not hugely loud in the scheme of things, but you know what it's like after a few beers - louder chat and even louder laughter. It was probably only 8 people or so - but blimey did the noise carry. We never complained to the council, because it was just 'one of those things' - but we did actually phone the Legion a couple of times; we sort of had a tolerance level till midnight, but after that got a bit fed-up as once you can't get to sleep, you can't.

Anyway, The Legion closed about six years ago, and it's now Tesco Express. The struggle we had to get their noisy extractor fans and air conditions put inside was quite something. When they did a pre-installation noise assessment, they said that they couldn't believe it was in a town, as it was quieter than the countryside at 3am. They shot themselves in the foot really, because it was that statement that convinced the planners to impose a condition about siting them indoors and monitoring the decibel level. Which ended up costing Tesco quite a lot.

And that's the thing really - it's all relative, and all depends on where you are and what you're used to.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One to keep an eye on

A planning application has been submitted to demolish the building at 47 Trafalgar Street in Brighton, which used to be home to car and van rental company Thrifty.

If approved, the plans would also allow for the development of a four-storey building comprising shop space and two holiday lets.

Concerns have been raised about the application, with Mark Stack, spokesman for Music Venues Alliance Brighton, warning that if the application is given the green light the future of beloved pub The Prince Albert, which is next to the garage, could be jeopardised by noise complaints.

The Grade II listed pub is well known for its live music performances as well as its mural of music stars.

Will Moore, venue manager of The Prince Albert, said the application’s approval would make things “difficult”.

“It’s a huge concern,” he said.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I was a Director at Worthing FC had to deal with countless complaints from neighbours re parking, floodlight issues, noise, couple of times when they really got on the front foot I shut them down with, “Obviously you were here before us (WFC) what was it like around here in 1904?”
Idiots the lot of them, had the same many a time owning pubs. Two of them were inns over 400 years old ,what gives?

Remember a farmer in Netherfield who got a new neighbour next to his barns who complained about the "country" smell.

He decided the hedges needed some good old natural feeding. A little muck spreading and the hedges looked lovely.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don’t understand why people who presumably choose to live in central Brighton especially anywhere near the pier or the roads off St James street then complain about the noise from day trippers , students and party goers especially at night.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
My favourite live music venue, The Fleece in Bristol, was fearful for its future a few years ago, because the large office block next door (empty at night) was sold to a property company and turned into flats.

The owner of The Fleece (who is also bass player of The Blue Aeroplanes) frantically lobbied MPs, and as a result, this legal protection for live-music venues was introduced 5 years ago:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If you move adjacent to a licensed venue and the said venue is completely compliant with its restrictions you should not have any grounds for complaint

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
My favourite live music venue, The Fleece in Bristol, was fearful for its future a few years ago, because the large office block next door (empty at night) was sold to a property company and turned into flats.

The owner of The Fleece (who is also bass player of The Blue Aeroplanes) frantically lobbied MPs, and as a result, this legal protection for live-music venues was introduced 5 years ago:
Think Thekla was also a risk with all the harbourside development. Both great venues and part of the fabric of Bristol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here